7prc or 6.8 west?

mtank

I am getting the itch for a new rifle but can't decide. Originally I planned to stick with an old faithful 7mm rem mag but the new 7 pro & 6.8 west have caught my eye. I am looking at the ridgeline in 7 mm rem mag , the ridgeline FFT, browning mountain pro & seekins Havak ph2 in 6.8 west or 7 prc. I like the idea of the FFT & browning due to weight savings. I have a ridgeline 6.5 prc that weighs 8.4 ready to hunt. Would like to keep the new rifle under 8 lbs for backpacking. I don't have a Seekins dealer within 6-7 hrs so handling one is more than likely out. Anyone have handled , shot or own the the FFT ridgeline ,browning mountain pro or the havak ph2?

I'll be in the minority on both opinions, but I love my 6.8 Western and the X-bolt action is far superior to the Seekins PH2. Every X-bolt action I've ever ran, including my own has been smoother and binds MUCH less than any of the PH2s I've ran.

7PRC is definitely a good cartridge, just adds some weight for the long action.

My seekins consistently shoots 1/2 moa or less with handloads. My action was a little stiff. It was smooth as butter after a night watching TV and a range session. Best value for a rifle out of the box imo. Im sure it's not my last rifle from them. Between the 6.8 and the 7, I'd choose the hornady train. Good luck.

My choice would be 6.8 Western, but it is a tough call. Not sure about the Seekins vs the Xbolt. If was gonna pony up I think I might go a different way altogether. Maybe a Guntersville, maybe do a semi custom.

Seekins 7prc + 190atip or 195eol is where my money would go if I were you. That said, I shoot x-bolts and a-bolts. They shoot lights out and I enjoyed the $$$ saved.
I love all the a bolts I've had. My go to is a 30-06 25th anniversary a bolt 2. Weighs 8.2 ready to hunt & has never let me down that's why I through the browning in the mix.

I have two x-bolt pro and they are both outstanding. 6.8 Western and 300 PRC. I've handled another fellow's Ridgeline FFT at the range but not shot one yet, but I was really impressed. I've not handled a Seekins yet. For my left hand son I'd be considering the Left Hand Mesa FFT in 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC. I'd get my son a 6.8 Western Left Hand except not available in higher end "pro". Since you already have 6.5 PRC, I'd skip past the 6.8 Western and go with 7 PRC. Any of those rifles will be great. I'm a fan of the three lug bolt on my rifles for shorter bolt throw (x-bolt, Sako; and, Weatherby Mk V).

For me, it would not be the 6.8 Western, I have one and you are stuck with Browning/Winchester brass or converting 7mm SAUM brass.

The aftermarket support will grow for the 7 PRC and shrink for the 6.8 Western. It is what should have been introduced instead of the 270 WSM.

I am anxious to see what happens since I have seen a few 7 1/2 twist 270 Winchester rifles available, mainly from Browning. The 7mm has the second biggest love affair, following the 6.5.

For me, it would not be the 6.8 Western, I have one and you are stuck with Browning/Winchester brass or converting 7mm SAUM brass.

The aftermarket support will grow for the 7 PRC and shrink for the 6.8 Western. It is what should have been introduced instead of the 270 WSM.

I am anxious to see what happens since I have seen a few 7 1/2 twist 270 Winchester rifles available, mainly from Browning. The 7mm has the second biggest love affair, following the 6.5.
Agree with everything, stated above ^^^,..
Except that, there's Nothing, really "Wrong" with, a 1-10 Twist, .270 WSM shooting, 140 grain, AccuBonds or, Bergers at,.. 3,200 FPS !
I've had NO problem, dropping Elk with, Mine !
There ARE, lots of .270 WSM, 1-10 tw, Fans, out there,.. You'd be,.. Surprised !
IMO,.. Just PASS up, the 6.8 Win and go,.. 7 PRC or, 7 mm RSAUM !

Last edited:
6.8 Western! I have 2 and both shoot great with "crappy" Winchester brass. You would think nobody could prep brass and shoot a decent group prior to some of the niche guys doing it for you. The 7prc has a better chance of fading as the 7mm crowd jumps to next BBD every time a new 7mag of some sort is introduced;). Couple of years ago the 28 Nos was the next coming, now it's PRC. Where are all the other 7mms now...7 saum, rum, wsm, lrm, nos, et al… 270 fans are a loyal group! Win/Browning needs nobody to keep their rounds going which is why can still buy new 270 wsm if so inclined. May not have huge support but there. Try and buy a 300 or 338 rcm if think Hornady is so great…

The 6.8W does about similar to the 7rm with high bc bullets in a lighter less recoiling package. The 7prc does more with more recoil since shooting heavier bullets. Can't go wrong with either - just what performance and recoil point do you want

Lou

6.8 Western! I have 2 and both shoot great with "crappy" Winchester brass. You would think nobody could prep brass and shoot a decent group prior to some of the niche guys doing it for you. The 7prc has a better chance of fading as the 7mm crowd jumps to next BBD every time a new 7mag of some sort is introduced;). Couple of years ago the 28 Nos was the next coming, now it's PRC. Where are all the other 7mms now...7 saum, rum, wsm, lrm, nos, et al… 270 fans are a loyal group! Win/Browning needs nobody to keep their rounds going which is why can still buy new 270 wsm if so inclined. May not have huge support but there. Try and buy a 300 or 338 rcm if think Hornady is so great…

The 6.8W does about similar to the 7rm with high bc bullets in a lighter less recoiling package. The 7prc does more with more recoil since shooting heavier bullets. Can't go wrong with either - just what performance and recoil point do you want

Lou
I've always been a 270 wsm fan but my favorite is the 7mm rem mag. At the end of the day it might be my choice simply because I have so much for it already.