7mmRemMag accuracy troubles

I tried the Bergers 168's and just couldn't make them work. Changed to the 162 A-max, 72 grs H-1000, Fed GM215M, Win brass, seated .007 off the lands. New Hart barrel , 9 twist, 26". Group was .466@300yds. Don't know if its a fluke or not....weather has shut me down for the last 6 week. No MV yet either. Hope this is real!!

Well, I loaded 25 more rounds tonight. I have 8lbs or Retumbo and 1000 Fereral 215's, so I'm gonna try and get a good load using this stuff before I switch powders and/or primers.

I loaded all 25 .005 off the lands, because these will still fit in the magazine. I loaded 5 each in 66, 67, 68, 69, and 70 grains. According to Berger's load data that I have 66 is the min and 70.4 is max. If one of these charges shows promise, I'll probably go .5gr on either side to see if the results get any better.

I hope this approach is a decent one.

Why shoot a 7mm Rem Mag if you are going to shoot light weight bullets? Try a 175 grain bullet of conventional design with Retumbo powder before you give up on load development. I suggest either a Sierra or Speer bullet that has a flat base.

Why shoot a 7mm Rem Mag if you are going to shoot light weight bullets? Try a 175 grain bullet of conventional design with Retumbo powder before you give up on load development. I suggest either a Sierra or Speer bullet that has a flat base.

Well, the 168 Berger's aren't that much lighter than the 175's you are suggesting. I've only owned this gun for a little while and by no means will be giving up on finding a good load. I've only shot to 800 yards a few times, but I was under the impression that flat base bullets wouldn't be good for distances out that far.

The 5 groups couldn't muster up anything better than about a 1.3 inch 5 shout group. I hate to give up on the Bergers, but it looks like I'll be moving on to the Amaxs or something else.

Does anyone know if the 175 or 180 SMK will stabilize in a 9.5 twist barrel? Both call for 8 or 8.5 according to their website.

In the last 4 guns ive worked up loads for, a 6.5stw a 6.5x284, 7rem and an 7stw in all cases I cant get the bergers to shoot even close to as good as the amaxes.

I would stick with keeping your bullets anywhere from .005 to .01 off hard jam then play with powders. The best powders I have used in the 7rem is H1000 and IMR 7828. I heard lots of good things about rl22 I just cant ever get it to shoot worth a darn in the 7rems or 300winnies. Not saying it dosent work just dosent seem to work for me.

Last 7rem I did load development for shot best with a grain over max suggested load of H1000 in the hornady manual with a 162 amax .007 off Jam.

hope this helps

JS - i have found out to 600 yards the 168 berger , 140 berger and the 140 accubond to be very accurate and deadly. i would try these three . their accuracy and bc more than make up for weight.

JS- i have two 7mm mags. one has a krieger barrel . the biggest groups it shoots are around 3/4". so far it has shot everything good. some really good. the other is a 1968 rem adl . for deer and hogs out to 600 yards a 139 horn , 140 berg; 140 accubond, 140 balistic tip are more than enough. the 168 berger and 162 amax good also. with these last two you only have to drive them 2825 or so. i personally do not shoot mk for hunting. the norma reloading manual has a chart with various primers used and temps. the 215 is of no advantage until you get below 0. or if you have a huge case like a rum. i am assuming you are in the se US. for the big whitetailes up in sask that cost 7k to hunt i would use a 140 partition. i would try h-4831, a 140 at 3000 to 3150 , and the 250, 9.5m or wlrm.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.