Brass troubles

A while back I started playing with a 25WSM wildcat for a mate of mine, we had quite good succes with most powders ; H4831sc, RE19, RE22 and H4350 and 180gr Accubonds.

the high pressures might be because you loaded those 180 accubonds in that 25 cal! OK, a little joke there.

i tend to agree with you on the absense of this sort of thing in Weatherby's. i'm sure there are quite a few of them with bullet release before rifling engagement. why do some and why don't some....that is the question!
Yes, I made a typo.
That should have read 110gr Accubonds.

Magnum.....can you tell us about those tests that show the bt's and abs make more velocity at less pressure.......what kind of pressures and velocity comps do you have to other bullets in the same gun?
I would need an entire novel to show all of the comparisons that I have discovered.........but here's 2 examples. (300WinMag.)
RE25 81gr. , FedGM215 primer, Rem brass and 180gr Accubond.
Pressure 58,100psi and velocity 3188fps.
RE25 81gr. , FedGM215 primer, Rem brass and 180gr Woodleigh.
Pressure 63,800psi and velocity 3177fps.
Both examples are averages of 10 shots each.
RE22 75.5gr. , FedGM215 primer, Rem brass and 180gr B/T.
Pressure 59,900psi and velocity 3160fps.
RE22 75.5gr. , FedGM215 primer, Rem brass and Speer 180gr GS.
Pressure 64,300psi and velocity 3090fps.
Average of 10 shots each.
These were all shot in my 26" barreled Kimber 8400.
Hope this is substantial enough for you?
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

The wierd thing is if you look at Hogdons' data for the 300 win mag the 200 ab makes way more pressure than a nosler partition. I realize that it takes up more case room but what they quote is really substantial.
Also in Stan Watsons book he took measurements of 10 cup and core bullets in the same gun and he seated the bullets so the case had exactly the same capacity....the bottom line is the nosler bt made the 3rd highest pressure out of the 10 bullets. It was behind the swift scirrocco and the older barnes that didn't have grooves.
I just have a real hard time with the whole idea that there is something magical about the nosler ab and bt that they can make more velocity at less pressure than other cup and core bullets. I would think if it were somewhat provable Nosler would be all over it as an advertising/selling point.
BTW---re the speer grand slams....even speer admits they make alot of pressure and has produced data with milder specs over and above their reloading manuals. I'm not real familiar with the woodleigh bullets.

kraky1,
You may very well be correct regarding the 200gr Accubonds, I have only just started playing with them. They're a very long bullet, which can raise pressures alarmingly, but i'm yet to do any extensive testing with them.
I do not have a copy of Hogdons manual, and I am only able to comment on the 180gr Accubonds at this time. Also the Ballistic Tips show higher pressures with the same powder charges as the Accubonds do.

As you well know, each firearm is an animal all unto itself, my results could have been completely the opposite in another rifle.
The above examples that Stan Watson gave could also turn out differently in a different barrel with a smoother or rougher bore.
Maybe I should have not mentioned my findings, as every rifle would turn up different results.
I do not believe that Nosler bullets are magical in any way, but I do believe thay are economical in terms of powder usage and velocity.

My Kimber has 4 grooves rather than the more common 6 grooves that my Senedero has, and this rifle always shows higher pressures before the Kimber does, so maybe it's a rifle thing and not a bullet thing?

Your discussions are always welcomed.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

Man oh man JAWZ.

That gave me a fright !

Count your lucky stars on that one !

Going to the mountain this weekend with 2 friends packing MCmillan TAc 338's and my own gun for some extreme sambar shots. May post a clip next week.

Not long till you get the edge now !

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts