7mm08 powder choice

The 120 grain Barnes TTSX Bullets just vaporize the lungs of a Coues Buck @ 3,000+ FPS in the 7mm-08. The 120 Nosler BTs are deadly too but the Barnes 120s are our go to Deer Bullets now.

The 120 grain Barnes TTSX Bullets just vaporize the lungs of a Coues Buck @ 3,000+ FPS in the 7mm-08. The 120 Nosler BTs are deadly too but the Barnes 120s are our go to Deer Bullets now.
I've never tried the Barnes bullets. I do believe they have an almost cult like following though. You either love them or don't. Kinda like the 6.5 you know what hehe.
I myself believe for whitetail deer and Wv black bear that the Barnes bullets would be a little to tough and not expand. As I said though I've never tried them . Although if my kids still hunted deer with their 223 I may have given them a try. But it was hard to beat the 60 gr partitions.

Not a fan of Barnes or other monolithic bullets. I have not been impressed with the wound channel or damage they cause if you dont hit bone and break a shoulder. I have a box of the 120gr TTSX that I might try on my 7mm Rem Mag, I want to make sure those are going fast enough to expand, but on a coues deer, I am almost sure they would just pencil through, they aren't tough animals. Maybe try them on Javelina or some coyotes, Javelinas are tough little critters and you are more likely to hit bone in it's head or neck. On a Coues deer you would have to hit bone to cause enough damage, and the coues does not have a lot of meat and I don't want to waste any.

I am not a shoulder hit fan so I stick to cup and core bullets. I like double lung and heart, except Javelia, those I go for the head and neck so I dont waste any meat.

Hey any of you guys tried Reloader 16 or 17 with 160 grain class bullets? I'm currently, just today loaded some 162 ELD-X's with R16
( currently seeing what the upper end might be velocity wise ). Just back from range with 2625 top so far. Rel 17 with same bullet could bust 2800 fps with Hornady max load listing. Just curious what others might have experienced with 160 class and Rel 16.

RL 17 is good for ~2700 fps. It will do 2900 with 140 class pills
RL 17 is good for ~2700 fps. It will do 2900 with 140 class pills
I agree, heck 46 grains of Rel 17 got me just a little over 2800 fps. Due to the seasonal changes here in Texas fixxing to occur I decided to lower that load to 45 grains of Rel 17 and I'm getting 2750 ish. The velocity seems to be there for me. I just got a little concerned with velocities achieved compared to what the latest Hornady manual showed. Heck, I'm happy with 2750 ish. But thought here recently that Rel 16 ought to be the ticket being non temp sensitive and deciphering additive. Today Rel 16, with what loading info (1 loading thru Alliant for a 160 grn and it's a Barnes bullet) available got real good accuracy with 42 to 44 grains with max velocity at range on the 44 grn Rel 16 load of just a tad over 2600 fps . I think that I can still go up some with the 16. Hope to maintain the accuracy and get a little more velocity yet. We'll proceed cautiously! Anyone else have any results they would share?

I'm not sure that WW 760 and H414 aren't the same powder. I do know that H414 works great in 7mm-08 with every bullet I've tried with it. I'm sure Varget works well also but I've never tried it as the H414 has been so accurate and velocities are near the top in every 7-08 we've tried.

I've had a few 7mm/08's and H-414/WW760 ( same powder different lots) worked as Dry Heat posted. Barnes 145 LRX gets me 2900 ft/sec with great accuracy. The Speer 145 SBT also works good. Great powder

I agree, heck 46 grains of Rel 17 got me just a little over 2800 fps. Due to the seasonal changes here in Texas fixxing to occur I decided to lower that load to 45 grains of Rel 17 and I'm getting 2750 ish. The velocity seems to be there for me. I just got a little concerned with velocities achieved compared to what the latest Hornady manual showed. Heck, I'm happy with 2750 ish. But thought here recently that Rel 16 ought to be the ticket being non temp sensitive and deciphering additive. Today Rel 16, with what loading info (1 loading thru Alliant for a 160 grn and it's a Barnes bullet) available got real good accuracy with 42 to 44 grains with max velocity at range on the 44 grn Rel 16 load of just a tad over 2600 fps . I think that I can still go up some with the 16. Hope to maintain the accuracy and get a little more velocity yet. We'll proceed cautiously! Anyone else have any results they would share?

Hornady reloading book seems to be a bit conservative compared to Nosler and Sierra, it shows about 1 to 2.5gr less in the max powder loads for some bullets and powders, I noticed this for the 223 Rem, the 7mm-08 Rem and the 7mm Rem Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.