Choice of powder

Hard to beat RL16 for 6.5/creed or 7mm-08. Especially compared to short barrels and slower burn rate powders. Heck it's one of my best performers in any caliber that traditionally likes imr/ H4350 like 30-06 270, 280 and so on. Hasn't been quick to pressure and is pretty temp stable

Attachments

• WP_20200406_11_37_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200406_11_37_43_Pro.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 97
  • WP_20190813_20_41_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190813_20_41_26_Pro.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 102
So i got myself a brand new rifle in 6,5 creedmoor
:D
It's a short and handy little thing, with a 20" barrel + suppressor.

Do to all kind of laws about hunting, and availability overhere, i narrowed my options down to two different bullets: The Hornady Eld-X 143 grains or the Berger EOL 156 grains. (Most likely the Berger, since i have to run the Eld-X at minimum of 811 meters pr. second, in order for it to have the impact-force, for it to be legal for hunting large game. Yep, stupid rules, but what are you gonna do'!?)

So the question is, what kind of powder to fling a heavy VLD-bullet at maximum efficiency in my short barrel?

If possible, please include data such as burn-rate on the powder in your answer, since i don't necessarily have acces to the same brands on the other side of the Atlantic :)
H4350! Should give you approx 868m/sec no sweat

Not knowing the powder situation in Denmark, perhaps acquiring several powders would be paramount. Closely followed by primers. The supply of both are dwindling quickly in the US. Research alternate powders of same burn rate in case your first choice is unavailable. Good luck

I wrote Berger, and they have the data for the 6,5 creedmoor, but you have to call them to get the data. One can wonder, why they don't want to post the data on paper 😏

It is because ...

No, I mean contact their Tech Support. They often have recommendations that are unpublished or untested by them that their customers send to them.

They will ONLY publish on paper or on the website loads they have safely tested. It is due to liability reasons.

Last edited:
Not knowing the powder situation in Denmark, perhaps acquiring several powders would be paramount. Closely followed by primers. The supply of both are dwindling quickly in the US. Research alternate powders of same burn rate in case your first choice is unavailable. Good luck

Yep, that is why I noted ...

IIWY, I'd experiment with powders you can get locally that is good for the 130-140 (below is for a 135) and go from there ...

I have no idea, but i do not intend to lose permit and rifle, if someone figures out a way!

The law here states:

For large game you need a minimum of a 9 gram bullet, with an impact-force of 2700 Joules at a 100 meters. For the Eld-X that means muzzle velocity of 811 meters pr. second ore more.

Alternatively you need a minimum og a 10 gram bullet, with an impact-force of 2000 Joules at a 100 meters. For the heavy Berger, that means lees than 700 meters pr. second, which should be easily achieved.

So far i managed 780 meters pr. second with the Eld-X, with a slow-burning powder from Vithovouri (N560), so i've got quite a stretch to go. The barrel have only ran 10 shots so far, so hoping for a bit of pickup, after its broken in.

Maybe you can clarify what the issue with your powder is? If I understand you correctly almost any load will get you well over what you need for being legal per your regs. As stated in post #7.

So maybe I'm missing something here but in your regulation specs you said 9 grams (140 grain) needed 2700 joules (1992 foot-pounds) and 10 grams (155grain) needed 2000 joules (1476 foot-pounds). If this is the governing restriction and there is no "Meters per second" requirement then respectively, 807 meters per second (2650 FPS) and 665 meters per second (2180 FPS) get you what would appear to be "legal" loads.

If this is understood correctly by me, then seems like the heavy bullets are the obvious way to go.

Hope that helped.

So i got myself a brand new rifle in 6,5 creedmoor
:D
It's a short and handy little thing, with a 20" barrel + suppressor.

Do to all kind of laws about hunting, and availability overhere, i narrowed my options down to two different bullets: The Hornady Eld-X 143 grains or the Berger EOL 156 grains. (Most likely the Berger, since i have to run the Eld-X at minimum of 811 meters pr. second, in order for it to have the impact-force, for it to be legal for hunting large game. Yep, stupid rules, but what are you gonna do'!?)

So the question is, what kind of powder to fling a heavy VLD-bullet at maximum efficiency in my short barrel?

If possible, please include data such as burn-rate on the powder in your answer, since i don't necessarily have acces to the same brands on the other side of the Atlantic :)
My rifle is not the same, but quite similar: a 6.5mm PRC with 20" barrel, unsuppressed, and I am loading the ELD-X 143 grain bullets with Norma MRP, which of course is made on your side of the Atlantic. Using 54.6 grains I get very good consistency (SD 4.6, ES 12 for 5 rounds), at a MV of 2842 fps and sub-MOA groups at 400 yds. (Sorry, I don't have the burn rate available as I write this.)
You will, of course, need less powder due to less case capacity.

Last edited:
Your states regs are your regs & sure I get that you need to meet them.
Still knowing you need to meet them you went with what I would call a small capacity cartridge & calibre and in a 6.5cm with a 20" barrel losing about 200fps over a 24" barrel!

Like I'm saying I don't totally get your rules or what the intended game is but It does throw into question your choice.

Different story if you were pushing that 156g out of a 6.5x284!

I Get that you don't get them.... I have a hard time getting them myself. I guess the point is to insure prober lethality in the ammo used, even though if you do the math, they seems to require you to use canon-shells, to be on the safe side!?

Large game would be crown-deer (something like an scandinavian version of american whitetail in size), moose and wild boar

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.