7mm08 powder choice

45 grns Varget in my custom savage with 120BT. I run 47 grns in my 7mm-08 AI. The 120 grn kill deer like lighting.

I've heard Varget is good, but I still have 9+ pounds of 4064, once I finish those I'll provably give it a try. I agree with you, accuracy first then speed, don't help to get the bullet screaming through the air but you can't hit a darn thing with it. Hope those loads you are testing work our well.

I've heard Varget is good, but I still have 9+ pounds of 4064, once I finish those I'll provably give it a try. I agree with you, accuracy first then speed, don't help to get the bullet screaming through the air but you can't hit a darn thing with it. Hope those loads you are testing work our well.

+1 on Varget. As a hunter, I push for accuracy/precision and velocity in all loads. It shouldn't take much to dial in a load with good bullets and powders, IMO.

Varget is very good, but I love ww760, I use it in 308,223,22-250Ai, and alot of others.great with heavy bullets.

Ditto on Varget for 120 s. I shoot 44.5 grs and 3075-3100 fps. Tried 45 grs but showed a little pressure with the bolt stiffening up.

I ve used 139 s on deer and work well but have heard lots of folks say the 120 BT is a lightning bolt on deer. You re right on the heels of a 270 Win.

I would think you ll be fine with the 4064 for now also.
Good luck

Alright gents finally got a day to try the varget for accuracy and the speed I was hoping to see. So as far as velocity for five shots it averaged 3048 which I was happy with , but five shot group was over an inch at 100yards.
So this is where a whole new can of worms was opened. I still had 10 rounds of my original 120 noslers with the imr 4064 so I figured I'd shoot those up and see what kind of group size I could get for a 10 shot string. Still shooting over the chronograph. For 10 shots average fps was 2951. Which is 100 fps faster than what it shot 3 weeks ago. Group mics .681. I'm kind confused as why from the same loading session it jumped 100 fps . It was 10 degrees cooler today light snow pretty well same breeze . The only difference I can justify is I believe the last time I had the chronograph set at 15 ft I forgot to make a note of that and this time it was at 10 ft. Can that make that much of a difference???

I'm not sure that WW 760 and H414 aren't the same powder. I do know that H414 works great in 7mm-08 with every bullet I've tried with it. I'm sure Varget works well also but I've never tried it as the H414 has been so accurate and velocities are near the top in every 7-08 we've tried.

Was the barrel clean last time? I've had rounds go well over 100 fps slower until fouling accumulated enough to bring pressure back up to normal. It's taken at least 4-6 rounds at times to come back up...

Was the barrel clean last time? I've had rounds go well over 100 fps slower until fouling accumulated enough to bring pressure back up to normal. It's taken at least 4-6 rounds at times to come back up...
Yep I'm still in my version of barrel break in clean after every 10 shots for the first 100. So far it's worked well with other firearms for me

Alright gents finally got a day to try the varget for accuracy and the speed I was hoping to see. So as far as velocity for five shots it averaged 3048 which I was happy with , but five shot group was over an inch at 100yards.
So this is where a whole new can of worms was opened. I still had 10 rounds of my original 120 noslers with the imr 4064 so I figured I'd shoot those up and see what kind of group size I could get for a 10 shot string. Still shooting over the chronograph. For 10 shots average fps was 2951. Which is 100 fps faster than what it shot 3 weeks ago. Group mics .681. I'm kind confused as why from the same loading session it jumped 100 fps . It was 10 degrees cooler today light snow pretty well same breeze . The only difference I can justify is I believe the last time I had the chronograph set at 15 ft I forgot to make a note of that and this time it was at 10 ft. Can that make that much of a difference???

That is odd, maybe the difference in distance in the chrono set up as you mentioned. These are the exact same load with the 4064 as before correct?

That is odd, maybe the difference in distance in the chrono set up as you mentioned. These are the exact same load with the 4064 as before correct?
Yep all from the same load session all from the same 8 lb bottle of powder. When I'm charging cases I recalibrate my scales every fifth charge just because I'm picky . I use my Lyman dispenser to throw within a half a grain then move to the next scale to trickle in to the desired weight. Yes it is slightly time consuming but I'm more comfortable than just trusting my dispenser

T
I do the same, I recalibrate after every fifth charge.

I would recommend tou try the load again and set up the chrono at 10 ft, I would just to make sure
hats the only thing that I can figure is it was set closer

Yep I'm still in my version of barrel break in clean after every 10 shots for the first 100. So far it's worked well with other firearms for me

Wait until you're broke in before doing Chrono work is all I can suggest. You'll gain speed as the rifle fouls back up. Cleaning constantly while working up a load could get dicey once you've settled on one and start shooting and the pressures come up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.