7mm WSM or 28 Nosler Build?

How about neither....why drive yourself crazy trying to find brass in the future, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like in ten years/twenty years...it's not like your going gain all that much over the time tested 7mm RM.. It's just not worth going nuts over an the expense will be and is ridiculous for 200 fps..... Availability of brass in the future I going to cause lots of thought on new builds, I feel sorry every time I see someone on here begging for of brass when they could have prevented the problem themselves, think BEFORE you leap !!!

This is why I went 7 rem mag over the stw. However, i would have done the 28 nosler if i could have gotten enough brass for two barrels.

Even so, it is very unlikely an extra 100-150 fps over the 7rm would make a serious difference on game or on wind drift on a target. I can get 180 hybrids to 2950 easily. 2850 for 195s. Is faster better? Of course, but there are diminishing returns in velocity with respect to case capacity it seems starting above the very efficient 284win. To me thst tops out around the 7 rum, which is barely better than the stw.

Yes, I know there are those who push it to justify ever increasing velocity, yes i could do the same and get 3050 with 180s from my 7 rm and then say "see, no need for the stw!" But the gains get smaller at the same pressures as you go up. You just have to pick an entry point, and sometimes other considerations like component availability can (or should) outweigh the extra little bit of velocity.

Here is a good example of what I mean. The following link has a ststistical analysis that studies how much velocity increases will improve hit percentage of two different target sizes, all other factors equal...and it shows that the smaller the target, we get less hit percentage improvement than youd think. If you read the entire series of articles, you discover that high bc bullets, reducing range ambiguity, and most of all increasing your wind reading skills are far more effective in improving hits percentage than a little extra velocity...or even group size, surprisingly. Its a good read:

How Much Does Muzzle Velocity Matter? - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

With all the hipe on the 7mm nos I wonder how a 7mm/300win will push the 195's. Easy to get brass and I expect decent barrel life. Some day I think I might do this option in the 7mm. Also get the chamber cut in a way that the bras can grow a small amount before you have to trim it.

With all the hipe on the 7mm nos I wonder how a 7mm/300win will push the 195's. Easy to get brass and I expect decent barrel life. Some day I think I might do this option in the 7mm. Also get the chamber cut in a way that the bras can grow a small amount before you have to trim it.

I think it would be very very similar to the 28 nosler. With the nosler, there is no case forming, no belt, and factory ammo available.

Link to some 7/300 specs. I have no experience with the chambering but sounds excellent, member her "Broz" could answer your questions as well:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

Last edited:
Don't forget the 7mm Dakota, brass is available and the 190 matrix does 3066 FPS with 77.6 grs of retumbo.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Ok, I was off by a little. I just remembered that the Nosler brass was almost as much as the Nosler ammo. So I bought the ammo to shoot up and save the brass.

Edit: Besides, the more people I can discourage from using 8RM, 7STW, 6.5STW, 358STA, and 416RM, the more brass for me :D

That makes sense, but also, the more popular a cartridge becomes (or becomes again...) the more companies will recognize and will ramp-up production. It's happened with the STW probably about a 1/2-dozen times (or more) since it was developed back in the 80's. :D

That makes sense, but also, the more popular a cartridge becomes (or becomes again...) the more companies will recognize and will ramp-up production. It's happened with the STW probably about a 1/2-dozen times (or more) since it was developed back in the 80's. :D
You have a point.

You guys talking about brass scarcity in 7WSM, did you forget that it's easily made from .300WSM cases with a false shoulder, which is plentiful and isn't going anywhere anytime soon?

Don't do the 28Nosler....:)

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 100
Out of my 7mm, WSM with 26"Brux bbl 66grs of H1000 pushes a 184 Berger at 3,000 FPS. Your burning 20grs more of a slower burning powder and getting only 102 FPS faster with a bullet of 11 grs more.

I have both. My 7wsm is a Defensive Edge build with +P barrel 24 inches long. Shoots 180's at 2970 with a touch of stiff bolt lift. I have 2 28 Noslers. One is a Lane Precision, and one is a Pederson Precision. Both are lights out shooters. The Lane is shooting 177 Hammers at 3200, and the Pederson is shooting 190 Bergers at 3100. Seems like I've spent a lot of time and effort to get the 7wsm to shoot tiny groups, and the 28's just seemed to shoot everthing I ran through them. 28's have a bit more recoil. If I had to go to one gun only, it would be one of the 28's. The 28 just seems more versatile to me, anything in the lower 48 easily, and yes, you will burn barrel out quicker, but it still takes a lot of shooting for the average guy to burn one out. But with your components, I think you are good either way. My wsm is a short action, and I really think if it were a medium or long action, I would be a lot happier with the ease of load workup. Especially with the longer bullets.

I have a custom 28 N throated for the 195s and I am fairly sure that once this barrel gives out, I will replace with a 8 twist in 7mm Rem Mag. I have a ton of brass/dies etc for it, less recoil and will shoot all of the hunting bullets I need. 160 thru 180 grain with the 8 twist. I have a 300 win mag for the 200 class bullets, so no real need for the 195s.

At least those are my thoughts today.......heck, I may wind up buying 2 more different rifles between then and now.