28 Nosler Savage build

TxAggie94

I recently started a thread on having my M70 trued and rebarreling it, but have decided to go a different direction based on several suggestions and further research.

I am now looking at a Savage 111. I believe it is the trophy hunter package they sell. It is currently chambered for 7 Rem Mag. It has a detachable mag box, but from what I can figure out, the Trophy Hunter uses the same mag box as the Axis and it doesn't look like this box is compatible with most of the after market stocks I would likely consider. That's not necessarily a deal-killer for me, but if I have to spend a lot on new bottom metal, it might make this option less appealing.

On the other hand, I have measured the length of the DBM and it is 3.52" (internal length). Like my 300, I would prefer to load long to take advantage of the 28. Are there any options for an extended length mag box (detachable, floor plate or blind) for the savage that would get me out in the 3.7" range?

Has anyone seen an aftermarket stock compatible with the Axis/TH style DBM? Has anyone seen bottom metal that utilizes an extended box mag? I like the detachable and I like not having to spend more money on new metal. But I would like to be able to load longer.

Next, has anyone done a 28 Nosler on a Savage action? Any issues with feeding? Which mag box did you use and did you have to modify it?

I wouldn't abandon the m70 action for a savage if it were me.
I'm assuming you want to go with a savage action for the ease of installing a pre-fit barrel?
If that's the case check out the "Remage" options that are out there, several barrel manufacturers make a prefit barrel that can be installed with a barrel nut from pacnor.
I know McGowen makes these for the model 70 as well, it'll cost you $325.
I've done a couple of the the prefit's from McGowen with really awesome results, and am awaiting my 28 Nosler "Remage" barrel as we speak...

CDI can inlet for the AICS or MDT mags. IDK the COAL on them as I'm not a mag kinda guy. Cost for bottom metal INSTALLED is $209. Then you buy mags.
I'm a Savage guy but I will have to give Blackaj a nod as well. The thing I LOVE about Savage isn't the floating bolt head, Accutrigger or any of that crap.....it's THE NUT and the CHEAP barrel swaps and infinite choices it brings. Want a LA 223? SA Lapua? Whatever you can imagine you can build on a Savage CHEAP. A large part of accuracy is the barrel. I haven't run a stock barrel for ages until my latest Lapua I bought 6 days ago. If that barrel doesn't pan out I will swap it in a heartbeat.
With the availability of the REMAGE style setup now, I have been waffling on defecting to the Remmy setup just for stock availability and JEWELLS. Not being able to swap bolt heads sucks but I usually buy a donor action with the right head anyway so that isn't a huge issue for me. The floating bolt head? Meh it works, but with a barrel nut you can lap the heck out of Remmy or Winny lugs anyway. The Accutrigger is a decent setup and I can tune one to way better than most believe but its still not a Jewell.
Whether you go Remmy, Winny or Savage, welcome to the brotherhood of the barrel nut AND never having to wait for a gunsmith or PAY one again.

Get the cheapest 110 magnum centerfeed you can get.

Put your 28 Nosler barrel on the action.

Add a Boyds Pro-Varmint laminated stock inletted for factory bottom metal. Pillar and bed it. $150-$175 depending on options.

Add an Accurate Mag bottom metal and 3.850" magazine. $185.

Gets you ha pretty cheap long range rig for pretty cheap. Just needs glass.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I was looking at Savage mainly for the ease of re-barreling, but also for the more tolerant floating bolt head (i.e., not having to have the action trued). I did not realize anyone was making pre-fits and barrel nuts for M70s.

I did go back by the shop and looked a little more closely at the savage. I understand the issue with the bottom metal...there isn't any. So, a new stock and new metal will be the only way to go.

Thanks FEENIX. I did find that thread after I posted mine. Looks like the CDI is one of the better options for bottom metal - maybe the only option for this particular model. Accurate mags only offers metal for the side bolt release savages. The 111 I am looking at has the bottom bolt release on the front of the trigger guard.

I checked McGowen and everywhere else I can think and haven't found anyone offering a barrel nut option for Win 70. Maybe i misunderstood the original post on that.

Thanks FEENIX. I did find that thread after I posted mine. Looks like the CDI is one of the better options for bottom metal - maybe the only option for this particular model. Accurate mags only offers metal for the side bolt release savages. The 111 I am looking at has the bottom bolt release on the front of the trigger guard.

I checked McGowen and everywhere else I can think and haven't found anyone offering a barrel nut option for Win 70. Maybe i misunderstood the original post on that.

Sorry but I am not familiar with anyone offering barrel nut option for Win 70 at this time at least not that I know of, where did you get that idea? Perhaps a misunderstanding, McGowen does offer a prefit for the Win 70 but not the barrel nut option.

Sorry but I am not familiar with anyone offering barrel nut option for Win 70 at this time at least not that I know of, where did you get that idea? Perhaps a misunderstanding, McGowen does offer a prefit for the Win 70 but not the barrel nut option.
Blackaj said earlier in the thread. I'm a purely Savage guy so I didn't catch it. The Remage nut WILL NOT fit. Also controlled feed rigs cant be prefitted in any way.

Blackaj said earlier in the thread. I'm a purely Savage guy so I didn't catch it. The Remage nut WILL NOT fit. Also controlled feed rigs cant be prefitted in any way.

Unless I misconstrued his post too and it was not clearly conveyed, I think he was referring to the prefit barrel, not the barrel nut ...

I wouldn't abandon the m70 action for a savage if it were me.
I'm assuming you want to go with a savage action for the ease of installing a pre-fit barrel?
If that's the case check out the "Remage" options that are out there, several barrel manufacturers make a prefit barrel that can be installed with a barrel nut from pacnor.
I know McGowen makes these for the model 70 as well, it'll cost you $325.
I've done a couple of the the prefit's from McGowen with really awesome results, and am awaiting my 28 Nosler "Remage" barrel as we speak...

Perhaps he'll chime in for clarification.

McGowen makes a semi-prefit for the model 70, I have not used a barrel nut on this action, that was on a model 700.
From what I understand though the barrel nut can be used on other actions as well, but I checked out McGowen's website and you are correct they do not offer a true pre-fit for the m70 but a semi pre-fit due to the controlled feed system.
My bad for interpreting that incorrectly

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.