28 nosler build

magedon44

Guys ,
I looking to convert my shot out 300 win mag to 28 nosler and have Alimo precision rifles do the job. I want to shoot the new Berger 195s out of a light weight long range carry gun. Similar to the ones Len sells on here. Is there anything I need to know specifically for the reamer or throating for the 195s . If I get the rifle throated for the 195s and they don't shoot well, will the 180 vlds still
Shoot decent? Also what length barrel and twist are u all running in the 28s ? Anyone deal with Alimo and what velocitys are you all getting with the 195s? Lots of questions I know.. Thanks fellas

magedon44,
I suggest you make a couple of dummy rounds. One of the 180 and one of the 195. With the bullets seated to where the back end of the bearing surface of the bullet is even with or just above the neck/shoulder junction. You will need to do both because its going to be a compromise situation between the two bullets and you will have to work that out with your gunsmith how you want the throat reamed. The 195 EOL being a hybrid makes it tolerant of jump. and I recommend you start at .005 off the lands with bullet seating depth testing. With the HUNTING VLD bullets we recomend starting at .010 off the lands. Then go to .050 off, .090 off AND FINALLY .130 OFF THE LANDS. We found that those four seating depths showed up the most in finding seating depth sweet spots during our testing. If you want to tweak a little go .005-.010 to either side of the one that shows the most promise. Hope this gives you some information you can use to figure this out. If you have any more questions let us know.

I would load up dummys just as he said, and throat the rifle to be just at the lands with the shortest bullet you want to shoot, if you want to insure the capability to shoot multiple bullets. This will cause you to have to seat the longest bullet deeper in the case giving up a slight amount of case capacity, but it wont be that noticeable in a 28nos. You will then have the ability to chase the lands with all bullets as the throat erodes.

Dont forget to double check magazine maximum length...that may be the limiting factor and if so, throat a little short of that so you can chase the lands without running out of room in the magazine.

If your backup 180 was the hybrid instead of the VLD then you wouldn't have to worry much about the jump to the rifling.

I have been developing loads with hybrids and a number of different rifles and all have shot well with a variety of different distances to the lands. The throat angle and jump was what the rifle came with based the particular reamer that that was used for both custom and factory rifles. I simply seated to fit and feed from the magazine and worked up the powder charge. I have yet to find a rifle that won't shoot the hybrids without any seating depth tweaking.

List of hybrids used:

6-284 105 match hybrid
6-284 95 gr classic hunter hybrid
Four 7 Rem mags and 168 classic hunter hybrid
7/375 Ruger 168 classic hunter hybrid and 180 match hybrid
300 Win Mag and 215 match hybrid
Three 300 RUMs with 230 match hybrid
300 WSM and 230 match hybrid
338 RCM and 300 gr OTM hybrid

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.