7mm STW H1000 Issues Or Is It Me

Doc88

New STW build working up a load with 160gr Accubonds and H1000. Accuracy and repeatability were good until I changed lots. I only had a piece of a pound left before I bought a 8# jug. Since starting the new jug and yes starting at a lower charge I have not been able to get consistent accuracy like I did with the first lot of powder. Powder seems much hotter than previous lot. So...
Should I just try a different Powder?
Is my barrel changing?
Anyone else with a similar experience especially with H1000 or any other powder?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have ran into the same thing with both an edge and a 7mm wsm and h1000. on the edge I reworked my load, went from 93.5 grains to 90 on the wsm I went to rl25, it has been some years but i had pressure trouble with h1000 in my stw so I use RL 25 and retumbo

Funny you mentioned that. I actually started to work up a load today with RL25. We'll see how this works. I'll repeat tomorrow and see if accuracy holds. Thank you for your response.

Just to update. Switched to RL25. Groups over 2 days consistanly 0.5 MOA at 200yds and ES is now a single digit. My gun don't like h1000
i shoot the 168 vld in both guns and retumbo is a lil faster in velocity in the stw but 25 shoots lights out in the wsm

as long as you don't run the rifle ragged, rl25 will only drop a bit of vel. off but stay stable accuracy wise when the temp. drops... we've been running rl25 with 140-150 grain pills here on multiple barrels since before beta data came out for the powder, and it usually impresses.. my current 7stw load is a 140ab with rl25 in rp brass with a 215... 13 years shooting that in three different bbl.'s... all were running 1/2 moa in their prime...

as long as you don't run the rifle ragged, rl25 will only drop a bit of vel. off but stay stable accuracy wise when the temp. drops... we've been running rl25 with 140-150 grain pills here on multiple barrels since before beta data came out for the powder, and it usually impresses.. my current 7stw load is a 140ab with rl25 in rp brass with a 215... 13 years shooting that in three different bbl.'s... all were running 1/2 moa in their prime...
Yep, I usually just adjust up about 1 moa in the winter, I dont really shoot my stw much other than hunting so I just leave it alone , that rifle is about 20 years old and started out as a 7mm RM on a blued laminated sendero that I rechambered, I dont think I have any brass that says 7STW on it lol all is 8mm RM , I remember when I first got a bottle of 25 for it and I was like dang right! back then I shot 140 grain Barnes X but went to the 168 vld and retumbo, it seems to "pop and drop", my kids wont shoot it because it doesn't have a brake lol

In the south as well. Finding out the same is true here. I've had a time working up loads this summer with h1000.
I remember shooting early spring on a tack driving load of h1000 , went back in august and was sticking brass and fist bumping the bolt and went right to Rl25 problem solved. these days Brass is like treasure lol you want to horde it not ruin it

In May an acquaintance sheared the bolt lugs off his rifle with what was a maximum load, that became an OVERLOAD with a new jug of H1000. He had used this powder for 10-15 years always testing new batches, without any changes. This batch was different.

Good luck

Jerry

Always was told to use H1000, but I had the same issues as the OP... Swapped to Berger 180 Hybrids and 7828 SSC years ago, and have been happy since.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my powder, as it worked fine in my buddy's .300 WM, but my rifles just do not seem to like H1000.

I keep Retumbo, H1000 and Rel 25 and 22 on hand....my Mag rifles will like at least one of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.