7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

It seemed like alot of the loads I got from Berger were on the low end.

But I will keep working with RL-25 and keep working my way up and see where it takes me.

I had to go to my load book,this load was tested in late November.It was 42* chrony @ 10ft.,I ran 9 rnds. 3103-3114.Says best group less than 1"..........Hope this helps you.I shoot only the GS Customs now for all my hunting,they out perform all others at the same wt. my 130gr.GS load shoots faster than the 120gr.Barnes TSX,both with 80grs.7828ssc....

My coyote load with a 116gr.GS Custom(and I have been called just short of a liar on this one)80grs.7828ssc goes 3920. When I put just a little more powder I got over 4k.My green chrony has not been known to lie......

not a 7mm but just bought a 270 STW used w/ 150 rds of 8mm resized w/ 150 gr partitions and load data shows 3450 fps w/ a 26" barrel. So can I join? Can't wait to load some 165 Matrix in it think I should get 3300 fps w/ them. I'm sure it won't be long before the barrel is shot out then it will be a 7 STW

not a 7mm but just bought a 270 STW used w/ 150 rds of 8mm resized w/ 150 gr partitions and load data shows 3450 fps w/ a 26" barrel. So can I join? Can't wait to load some 165 Matrix in it think I should get 3300 fps w/ them. I'm sure it won't be long before the barrel is shot out then it will be a 7 STW

Pretty close to a 7stw, I'm sure you can join. You'd want the 7 STW more than the .270 or 6.8 STW any way. More bullet selection and you can run the 180g heavies if you want and they have one heck of a BC.

My vote is that Truc can join! :D

Dan

Pretty close to a 7stw, I'm sure you can join. You'd want the 7 STW more than the .270 or 6.8 STW any way. More bullet selection and you can run the 180g heavies if you want and they have one heck of a BC.

My vote is that Truc can join! :D

Dan
I'll second it!!!
He's going to the dark side(7mm) when he retires his current pipe, afterall.....

My elk rifle just took a dump, the Krieger barrel has finally given up on my 300 Weatherby. I have a new 7STW as a backup. I have killed one small 5X5 raghorn with a 30 caliber 180 Accubond at 300 yards. The bullet penetrated the rib cage and exploded. Dead elk but I'm glad I had a broadside shot !

Has anybody out there actually shot a bull elkwith the 7mm Accubond 160gr. bullet ? If so at what range and how did the bullet perform?

Riverman - I have not dumped an Elk with my STW but several moose. Unfortuantely all less than 100 yards. I can say I have only recovered one bullet approx. 50% weight retention. All animals were one shot kills. Hope that helps. I would not hesitate to use it on elk.

I have shot the Nosler Ballistic Tips, the Accubonds and now the CT Ballistic Silvertips....love the 140gr Ballistic Tip and the Ballistic Silvertips....did NOT like the Accubonds on game....ALWAYS had run offs with them, all died of course, but they would run off a couple hundred yds.... maybe a few steps with Ballistic Tip and Silvertips,,,,

I have shot the Nosler Ballistic Tips, the Accubonds and now the CT Ballistic Silvertips....love the 140gr Ballistic Tip and the Ballistic Silvertips....did NOT like the Accubonds on game....ALWAYS had run offs with them, all died of course, but they would run off a couple hundred yds.... maybe a few steps with Ballistic Tip and Silvertips,,,,
I'll have to agree with Mr Sackett.....The Silver tips are one of my favortes

Well, after a long conference with all the " brethren" ( and a few cold beers, WE the underscored ), have decided that " truc" can play in the reindeer games. WELCOME to the addiction of the --STW. Well anyway, the powders and primers will be the same, velocities similar, and the 270 bullet selection seems to be growing. That thing will REALLY hurl a 130 bullet. The only trouble I see in my " crystal ball " would be terminal performance. That being said, what I mean is the ability of the bullet to stay together, and NOT blow up!!!! Accuracy should be no problem at all. Good luck in your endeavors, and again, Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Last edited: