7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hello guys, I don't have custom setup. I shoot a Remington 700BDL DM SS with a 26" barrel ,muzzle break, with a Timney trigger set at 2.5#.
Topped with a Leupold 4.5 ×14×50 LR Vx3 30mm tube and illuminated crosshairs. Bought New some 15 years ago. I shoot 140gr Barnes TTSX Ammo ,currently loaded by Double Tapp.
I've smoked a ton of deer with it and it's a bad mother!!!

Last edited:
Hi I am building a 7stw on a savage 110 with a savage new factory barrel with a 1:9.5 twist that is 25 3/4 " long what would be a good starting load?

Hi I am building a 7stw on a savage 110 with a savage new factory barrel with a 1:9.5 twist that is 25 3/4 " long what would be a good starting load?

I don't know your preferred bullet weight but a lot of us are shooting a 140 with rl25 under it lit by a 215.
I'm using the 140 nos ab, 82 rl25, rem brass, 215.... 3.650" oal... It's shot well for me in three barrels so far.

I am currently between loads for my 195 bergers as the load I had went to pot when the weather went cold. I'm switching powders; hopefully rl22 or 25 will be better than rl33 in this application.

Mudrunner2005 is stuffing 180 vld's through his rifle with 7828 under them....

You 9.5" twist will dictate your bullet weight a bit; it may not like heavier than 168 grain very much at all. My 10" twist was flaky when I stepped up the bullet weight...

Thanks I am thinking berger 168s or 162 hornady eld xs with either rl25 or retumbo. Maybe try berger 180 or hornady eld x 175 or nosler accubond lr 175 with h1000 or rl25

Joe

Welecome to the board. You will like the STW, it is a great round. For the 9.5 twist barrel, you might want to look at the 150 grain bullets too.

I have a factory Ruger #1 7mm stw with a 9.5 twist barrel. It perfers the 150 gr bullets over everything else. I have shot some of the Nosler 175 gr LRAB out of it, but they did not group well. They were about 2-3" at 100 yards with no keyholing. With a 150 gr bullet, I am around 1" with it.

Outdoornut, sounds like you have a good shooting gun there.

Bill

I got bit by the 7STW bug and picked one up from an internet friend. He talked nothing but great things about the gun and cartridge. Its a Rem 700 sendero, match chamber, Fajen laminate stock, vais brake. Im shooting 120gr barnes ttsx bullets with R22. shooting in the 0's at 100yrds. The gun is amazing and I hardly can wait to harvest a deer or even try a coyote with it.

For my Ruger, it likes the Federal 150 gr Trophy Bonded loads out of all that I have put through it.

Here soon, I will start working on a 150gr Barnes TTSX load. Might try the 145 gr LRH too.

Great cartridge! I shoot the 150 gr. Swift Siroccos ahead of 71.0 gr RL 19. Work up to it! I have never had a deer take one step after being hit with it. Will shoot under MOA at least to 300 yards, which is the longest shooting range my club has.

Hello guys, I don't have custom setup. I shoot a Remington 700BDL DM SS with a 26" barrel ,muzzle break, with a Timney trigger set at 2.5#.
Topped with a Leupold 4.5 ×14×50 LR Vx3 30mm tube and illuminated crosshairs. Bought New some 15 years ago. I shoot 140gr Barnes TTSX Ammo ,currently loaded by Double Tapp.
I've smoked a ton of deer with it and it's a bad mother!!!
There's probably a dozen of us with the very same rifle. Mine has always loved the 140's too.

my son got 2 does with my stw 1 at 825yrds and one at 650 yrds first long shoot kills with it we haven't got confedence in wind dopeing yet
Congrats. As for the wind don't feel bad, it's the one factor we can't control and some of us spend a lifetime trying to master it. With all the gear that's out there today from pocket weather stations to ballistic calculators on your cell phone it's getting much easier.

The key to shooting in the wind believe it or not is to shoot in the wind as much as you can in the off season, keep good records of the conditions, corrections and results and it will really help to build confidence for the future.

Recent Posts