7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

the only thing i am worried about is how worn the barrel is. it looks good but who knows. i was also wondering if i were to rebarrel it what cal could i go with other then the stw

You mean, you actually would consider rechambering that beauty to anything OTHER than another STW??????
That could be considered" blasphemy" and eternal damnation, numerous mis fires, and long drawn out tracking jobs!!!!!!
If it shoots good, and looks good, keep it. Those carbon barrels are usually very good, or is yours stainless, and powder coated??

You mean, you actually would consider rechambering that beauty to anything OTHER than another STW??????
That could be considered" blasphemy" and eternal damnation, numerous mis fires, and long drawn out tracking jobs!!!!!!
If it shoots good, and looks good, keep it. Those carbon barrels are usually very good, or is yours stainless, and powder coated??

let me make my self clear im not going to rechamber it untill the barrel goes and wont group any more. the only reason i am asking about diff cals is for options. i like the 7stw always wanted one and now i got one. problem is i am having a hard time finding ammo for it. i know i can reload but at the time i am not set up for it.hope to be soon,well i have one more rifle to buy first ( got word of a sako 75 finnlight in 300 win going cheap) then ill buy a reloader. and as far as the barrel i think its just a carbon.

let me make my self clear im not going to rechamber it untill the barrel goes and wont group any more. the only reason i am asking about diff cals is for options. i like the 7stw always wanted one and now i got one. problem is i am having a hard time finding ammo for it. i know i can reload but at the time i am not set up for it.hope to be soon,well i have one more rifle to buy first ( got word of a sako 75 finnlight in 300 win going cheap) then ill buy a reloader. and as far as the barrel i think its just a carbon.

Rebel, just wanted to add that my statements were in " good humor" and no real harm intended, nor implied. ( even though it may have sounded that way). We do throw some jibs and jabs around here once and a bit, but no malice.
As far as the wear, it probably has more life in it than you think. Those Sako barrels are really tough, and is probably no where near shot out. As far as ammo goes, reloading would definitely increase your odds of getting ot to shoot it's optimum, however, Remington has been producing ammo again for it . One of which is the 140 Corelokt bullet. They are making another offering, but I can't remember what bullet it is. I think it is one of the premium bullets.
The Sako that I had, had a very fast barrel in . What I mean by that us that ammo, and loads shot in that gun, shot faster than the other guns, and the Sako barrel is. 1/2 inch shorter.
You are in for a good ride with your new STW. Feed it right, and learn what it wants to shoot, and you too will be hooked for life. Welcome aboard!

Rebel, just wanted to add that my statements were in " good humor" and no real harm intended, nor implied. ( even though it may have sounded that way). We do throw some jibs and jabs around here once and a bit, but no malice.
As far as the wear, it probably has more life in it than you think. Those Sako barrels are really tough, and is probably no where near shot out. As far as ammo goes, reloading would definitely increase your odds of getting ot to shoot it's optimum, however, Remington has been producing ammo again for it . One of which is the 140 Corelokt bullet. They are making another offering, but I can't remember what bullet it is. I think it is one of the premium bullets.
The Sako that I had, had a very fast barrel in . What I mean by that us that ammo, and loads shot in that gun, shot faster than the other guns, and the Sako barrel is. 1/2 inch shorter.
You are in for a good ride with your new STW. Feed it right, and learn what it wants to shoot, and you too will be hooked for life. Welcome aboard!

Rebel,

Here's some good cheap boxes of Remington 140 Core-Lokt for you:

Ammo 7mm STW Remington Core-Lokt 140 Grain Pointed Soft Point Bullet 3436 fps 20 Round Box R7MSTW1

You can thank me later! :D

There is also some Federal 150gr Nosler Solid Base ammo listed in the classifieds here for $35 a box if you pick it all up,
FS--7 STW Dies, Brass ans Loaded ammo

This is the same thing I have been shooting from mine. It leaves just a touch over 3200fps from my barrel and hits with plenty of authority. I have not found it lacking on any of the hogs I have used it on, nor overly destructive even on the close up shots. I have been plenty satisfied with both the performance of it on game and on paper.

If I didn't have half a dozen or more boxes of it already on the shelf I would jump on this myself, and believe me I considered it.

its all good i know you were just joking. but right now i have 2 boxes of federal 140 accubonds 1box of remington corelocts and 2 boxes of winchester ballistic silvertips. went go "borrow" my dads reloader ordered some dies and 200 cases. i have some left over RL22 and h1000 from other rifles i reloaded for so i will try those out with the 140 grain partitions i am shooting out of my 7mm 08 and see what i end up with. the guy who had it before me showed me a group from 200 yards and it was under an inch so it can still shoot very wellgun)gun)gun)

i have only had one rifle that liked core lokt and that was an old 3006. it would shoot 3/4 inch groups with 220 grain core lokts. every other rifle wouldnt even shoot 1.5 inch groups
The rem bullets seem to be better as a hand oading proposition than as factory ammo. But there's not much reason to buy them anymore even for cheap plinking bullets as hornady and sierra are better and the same basic price. It was different when the rem pills were 1/2 the price.

I wanna throw a hand up at my Partner in Crime and Friend 7STW, What started out as me buying some stuff from him,In the Deal He sent me a gift in that package that rekindled my son,s passion for hunting (He's got the fire in his eyes Bro)not only that but sent Two boxes of factory ammo to Black 67 who bought my Laredo( I hated to sell it but I needed the money for reasons that were bigger than me...... and thank you Black for stepping up so fast)Cant thank you enough Bob ......Your a Gentelman and a Scholar and there's **** few left

I wanna throw a hand up at my Partner in Crime and Friend 7STW, What started out as me buying some stuff from him,In the Deal He sent me a gift in that package that rekindled my son,s passion for hunting (He's got the fire in his eyes Bro)not only that but sent Two boxes of factory ammo to Black 67 who bought my Laredo( I hated to sell it but I needed the money for reasons that were bigger than me...... and thank you Black for stepping up so fast)Cant thank you enough Bob ......Your a Gentelman and a Scholar and there's **** few left

Right back at cha' partner, and more importantly " friend " for sure. And I know what you mean about the " fire". My nineteen year old son is going deer hunting with me next week, and let me tell ya' he's got the fire, and he's got the eye too!!! I'm taking both off my new " 7s" , and his seven mag, and the 300 . ( hoping to get a little blood on them").
I am tickled that Chance is " huntin' with Dad" and with a stock that was a bonus. And I KNOW, the apple don't fall far from the tree when it comes to " gettin' it done" either.
On all other accounts, all of " US " here have a commonality in our caliber of choice, but through it all, we have came to know each other a little, or a lot. A good friend once told me, " lifes too short, and we are a long time dead". Well, that means a lot to me know, and I truly know what it means. And what it means to me is to enjoy life an d the little things, and pass it on to others. Share our experiences with our young so our sport lives on, and that they too can have a love affair with the outdoors, hunting, shooting, and doing the same. Our sport is fading, and if we done pass it on, it will fail.
I know that it is not until next week, but from me and mine, " Happy Thangsgiving to all the Brotherhood" . Well wishes to all!!!!
7STW OUT!!!!!

P/ S, the ammo for you, and Black 67 was purely my pleasure, and the stock too!!!