7mm rum vs. 300 rum

stifle

Alright Pros,
I Am Buying A New Sendero Today. I Plan On Shooting The Factory Barrel Until I Get The Chance (money) To Do A Custom 30" Barrel. I Am Going To Have My Smith Do The Rest Of The Nicnacs Now. (jewel, Sako Extractor, Action Truing, Etc.). Still Cannot Decide On The Caliber. I Have Reloaded Some For The 300 Ultra And Have Not Had Any Problems With Accuracy. I Have Heard The The 7mm Rum Is A Little Finicky And Can Be Tricky To Get Accurate. Is This Just Another Uneducated Rumor Or Is There Something To This Claim? I Would Rather Go With The 7mm Because Of The Long Range Ballistics And Retained Energy But I Obviously Want To Hit Was Im Shooting At First. This Is My First Big Bore Long Range Project And I Want To Do It Right The First Time.

Thanks,
Ron
.243 Ackley, 22-250 Ackley(pop)

dont know about the rumor but the 30 caliber will give better performance longe range with the heavier bullets that need to be used for long range because 150gr bullet going 3500fps is not as good as a 200gr bullet going 3000fps and BC is everything

WHAT HAPPENS if you stuff a 200 grainer in a 7? Trump that apples to oranges 150 compared to a 200 grain thing, put em both up in the same bullet wieght class 7mm wins!

7mm Reply

7mm ultra 180 gn vld 3000 fps .698 300 ultra 210 gn vld 3000fps .640
500yds- 2346 ft lbs 32 in drp 2511 ft lbs 41 in drp
1000- 1469 ft lbs 213 in drp 1412 ft lbs 278 in drp
1300- 1084 ft lbs 430 in drp 973 ft lbs 576 in drp

even assuming your only pushing the 7mm at the same velocity as the 300 is still smokes it. ft lbs seem not to be too different until you hit the extreme ranges but trajectory is not even close 7mm wins, and this is only with available berger bullets. The 7mm has a better BC, retained energy downrange, trajectory, velocity down range. (IT WINS)

i'd vote for the 30. had a 7 and just didn't like it. to me, it's finicky. very overbore. if i had to choose, it'd be a 338! better than the other 2.

RUM

I'm shooting a sendero 7 RUM, no problems with 160 gr Accubond over RL-25. Had a Sako 7mm RUM that liked that same combo. Finiky-have to say no.
Afraid the 338 RUM is not a player when choosing a new Sendero, but that's where I would go if it was still available.
A new Sendero today---probably go with the 300 RUM.

The 7mmRUM is an over bore round as is the 300RUM , the 7 will wear out the barrel faster and will be more finikey than the 300 simply do to being more over bore , a 257RUM would be even worse!!

If you plan to shoot the highest BC bullets out their the 7 will probably will but if you could get the 240gr Sierra Match King to shoot to 2900fps from a Sendero that would make a VERY hard hitting long range round but the 180 Berger has a very high BC for its weight and will shoot very flat. But like it was said before the 300RUM will have longer barrel life and will be less pickey about what it eats.

Now if you can find a 338 RUM in the Sendero rifle its a pretty simple job to rechamber to 338 Edge , then you woul have higher BC bullets longer barrel life and more energy on target down range.

If the two gus you have to choose from are the 7RUM and the 300RUM , my vote goes to the 300RUM , try the 240gr SMK's and if they shoot work with those if not work with the 229SMK's or 210 Bergers. Not saying that the 7mmRUM is finiky I'm just saying that the chances of it be more finikey than the 300RUM are good simply due to bore to powder ratio.

There's nothing picky about getting amazing accuracy out of a 7mm berger 180. Just jam them into the lands and bazamm! You have to understand that about 80% of Us is biased towards the .30 cal. That's the way it has always been and will always be. The only reason the 7rm became so popular because at the time it was the only magnum availible. For me it's 7 all the way. But I'm different. Good luck on which ever caliber you buy.

I am thinking of getting a 7 rum or 300 rum in a sendero. I will be using it for long range deer. What is the recoil and blast like when shooting from a bipod? I am leaning more to the 7 rum.

To me the 7rum recoils like a light 30-06 but I'm not recoil sensitive. I'll tell ya one thing for sure. If you go w/ the 300 you better get a brake especially if ya plan on slingin 240 grains of lead. Try shooting groups with out one and your gonna be sorry.

Last edited:
RUM

I am thinking of getting a 7 rum or 300 rum in a sendero. I will be using it for long range deer. What is the recoil and blast like when shooting from a bipod? I am leaning more to the 7 rum.

My 7mm RUM has a Nate Dagley brake. Fun gun to shoot. With the 160 gr AB abit over 3300 fps I can spot my own hits at the 300 yd steel.

For sale if you are interested. Also have a Sendero 300 RUM thats NIB for $889.00. Gonna do an Edge, have my Hart barrel on order.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.