7mm STW vs 300 RUM?

Tyler Kemp

Now that I had narrowed the RUM's to 300 RUM, I noticed the 7mm STW. With 180 grain Bergers at 3100 vs the 210 Bergers at 3000 fps, the 7mm beats the 300 RUM in everything except energy, with less recoil. What is barrel life like for each?

I have a 7mm STW and my boss shoots the 300 RUM. My 7 STW printed a .892" group at 300 yards the other weekend. Although the 300 will be able to shoot bigger bullets I will consistently out shoot my boss.

As you can read this is not a fair comparison, as I shoot more than my boss and have done more load testing. I think for an average shooter, that after load development it will take many years to shoot out either of these barrels. I will more than likely shoot out my barrel quicker because I shoot more than my boss, but I will just re-barrel and start again. I plan on getting 2k + rounds out of my barrel and at say 200 rounds a year through this gun, 10 years from now I will have to re-barrel. I would venture that most hunters shoot less than a hundred rounds through a gun a year and many shoot less than 20. At 20 rounds a year you will need to re-barrel in a 100 years.

OK, OK, I guess I will have to shoot more a year so I can re-barrel sooner with a new match grade barrel.

What velocity is with the 180 grain Berger is the 7mm STW capable of? 7mm Rem Mag should get close to 2900 fps, I'm hoping the STW could easily break 3000 fps or else it isn't much advantage.

I'm a big fan of the STW so I'm biased. But I personally see no reason to go with a 300 ultra compared to one of the big 7's. I think 7mm bullets are ballistically superior to the 30 cals. If you need knowdown power that bad go to a 338.

Again, I'm biased to the 7mm's.....

YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.