7MM RUM video

oldmossy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhnDu1kHeE&feature=player_detailpage]7MM RUM muzzle velocity with 180 vlds - YouTube[/ame]

This is my factory sendero II shooting 180 vlds. I'm only posting this video to gain some credibility among the guys on this forum. I'm not sure why the speeds are slower than the previous two times I chronoed the rifle. (Other than the last two times it was summer.) The speeds are still faster than alot of guys would like to believe, but still aren't what they were in the past. This rifle shot 3275 fps before, but now its showing 3197,3198, and 3195. It's a unedited video, so bear with me. Just wanted to take away any doubt.

Shooting 93 grains of retumbo,and cci 250 primers.

This is actually a rifle I bought from my buddy. I sold an identical setup to fund a Allen Mag. That rifle shot 3300 fps with identical load. I have another friend shooting 90 grains and shooting 3150 fps, and his buddy shooting identical load as him and shooting 3200 fps.

Seems every time I get into a conversation with someone, the conversation ends when I discuss the speeds my rifle getting. I'm assuming they believe I'm a bullcrapper. So if I am, it's chronograph induced.

No more hunt videos yet. 30 mph winds first day. Missed back to back shots high at 920 yds on second day( trying to figure that one out now). Never saw a deer on third. Season back in after christmas.

I don't know why anyone would not believe a 7 RUM could push 180's at those velocities. Now if someone were trying to tell me a 7 RM was shooting them at those velocities then it's time for the BS flag :rolleyes::cool: except maybe with RL33 in a 28"-30" tube.

You should try some RL33 with those 180's you'll probably see a 100-150 fps increase, but you'll probably have better results with the bullets just off the lands. Those look like they're seated kinda deep.

On the difference in velocities from previous to now... was there a change of powder lot or any other differences? Light conditions? Temp difference? Retumbo is a fairly stable powder but it will go up and down with the temp.

Shooting Chrony's are not what I would call precision instruments based on my experience. Looks like you have cloudy conditions (no direct sunlight) I've found this to be the best conditions for optical chronies. I have seen a 50 fps swing on the same day from late morning full sun to mid afternoon shade from shed roof overhang with Retumbo shooting 180's out of a 300 RUM. And I have seen 50-100 fps change in velocity from lot to lot with same charge.

Last edited:
it was fairly cloudy. and the temps were crazy for dec.. i experienced a big swing n velocities from morning to evening when i shot my first sendero. it was summer and i actually quit shooting until early fall when temps dropped. i thought it was temps. maybe it was sunlight changes thru chrono.powder from same lot. i bought 16# of it.

just n case you havent figured it out. im fairly new to this. hunted my whole life but only been n the longrange game couple years. learning something new all the time.

those are loaded to fit in magazine. but we couldnt get them to touch lands anyway. i was also told that i was shootn them at about max velocity they could take at my elevation. i shot crop damage deer on permit this summer at 900 feet and u could see bullet traveling to deer on video. (white tube looking). i was told that was jacket coming off.sounded weird traveling thru air also.

That's one Awesome Rifle You have , I shoot the same thing only I have a Wood stock on my Rifle , I tried to find another with wood and can't find any . I still use the Power Level 3 Ammo which I get good results with but I'd really love to shoot those VLD's all I hear is good about them . When you Drop a Deer , Elk or Moose with it please show your Video . What Scope do you use ?

Just as well put up the RL 33 video shooting just under 3400fps. Call me when the Allen Mag shows up gun) #game changer

Have you tried different primers. I picked up quite a bit of velocity just going to Win Mag primers. I do quite a bit with the 7mm cals and also have been criticized about velocities that I get. I will post videos when the weather gets better. It is fairly easy to get 3150 plus with the 7mm rem mag with the bullet seated to 3.5 instead of the factory 3.29 and a .020 freebore with h570. People do not believe this but you can look it up on Quickload and it also verifies that this is very possible. Hex coat the barrel after nitride and hex the bullets you will even get more fps. I would like to see this done with the 7mm ultra to really stretch its legs.

I have not been interested in the 7mm Allen Mag that much. So can some one tell me the case capacity compared to the 7mm ultra? I know these ultra 7mm's will come into there own if and when Berger releases the 195.

I get 3275 on average with 93 grains of retumbo. Two weeks ago we started with 93 grains of RL33 snd went 1 grain at a time until we saw pressure signs. We gained about 40 -50 fps per grain. At 101 grains we stopped. I had a slighlty sticky bolt and primers just started showing slight flattening. The 101 grain load chronoed 3394 fps. 98 was 3250-99was 3305-100 was 3345. This is what i witnessed. We quit chronoing when sun broke thru clouds. Our chrono gains speed ehen sun comes out. So for all the non believers out there. Keep your negative opinions to yourself.lol

As far as primers go. I use cci 250. My more knowledgeable partner uses winchester. But he has hadtrouble blowing primers. He researched it and found others having same problem

I don't doubt you a bit at 3200 fps with the 7rum and 180's. MY 7rum is at a start charge (where it shoots well- not playing with it) with retumbo and the 171 barnes and it's at 3130 fps. She (the 7rum) doesn't play well with rl50 ( 1.5 moa at best) so I may borrow some rl33 from my 300rum and try that in the 7rum.

With Retumbo that kind of variation is no surprise due to the differences in temperatures.

Shooting "hot loads" worked up in the winter with it that are near/at max and just starting to show pressure signs can get scary come summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts