7mm RM/STW Loads w/ 168 Bergers

wildcat338

Well I just picked up a box of Berger 168gr Match VLD's today and wanted to try them out in my 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm STW.

But the STW has a 1-12 Twist and the info on the Berger box say's 1-10 or faster so im thinking they wont work. But I just figure I'd put it out there for those of you who have much more experience then I with these bullets.

So I was just wondering if anyone had loads that I could try or point me in the right direction in getting some.

I tried the search function but I think im missing something because I cant get anything to show up. It just keeps telling me that " No matches found"

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

The berger bullets have a "Recomendation" on them that say what twist works best. This is only a recomendation, it may be right, it may be wrong. I use these for my 7 mag and have had awsome results with them. My average shot group is .436(to date) and some as low as .302. I use the 7828ssc with 64.9 grains. I set my bullets about .004 into the lands and grooves of the barrel. This will work great if your gun has had smith work and been trued up. If not you may find better accuracy with a little bit of jump to the lands and grooves. This makes the overall length of the bullet very long and it may not fit in your mag, so that will need to be checked. I have also been told that the retumbo powder is a good one to use and is a favorite of the 7 mag shooters. The berger bullets may require a little more tweeking to find the sweet spot but it is well worth it. I do have some load data on all of the different powders, and if you want, you can shoot me a pm with the specific powder and I can send you back the info. I wish berger would hurry and get a load book out, but they say it is still in the works. If you send me your personal e-mail I can copy and paste it and send you all of the data that I have. Always willing to help and hear of others experience with these awsome bullets. Let me know how it goes.

I haven't tried the 168's yet, but they're in the mail...ordered them on the 1st...I have some IMR7828 I'm gonna try underneath "em and see what they'll do....JohnnyK.

I shoot the 180's in a bone stock sendero sfII in 7rm that shoot's in the .2's all day long. By far the most consistent and accurate bullet I have ever used. I used 68.3 grains of retumbo, nosler brass, fed 215m primers. Bullet is seated lightly into the lands. The 180 is incredible. Carries alot of energy and velocity way out there. I would listen to bergers reccomendation on twist rates as there bullets have extremely long bearing surfaces as compared to other bullets in the same weight class. However you should not have much problems stabilizing the 168 in the stw especially w/ the velocity you will be getting. My 7rm has 9 1/4 twist and it stabilizes the 180s awsome so keep that in mind for your rm because it has a higher bc than the 168. Also my load is .3 grains over max so keep that in mind.

posted this pic before, but here is my 7mm Sendero with 71 grains Retumbo, 168 VLD. COL is 3.484, Win. brass and CCI LR mag primers.

470118.JPG

Hey Guys,

Thanks alot for all your help and recommendations its greatly appreciated.

Sendero Man- Please pardon my ignorance but your load data states you used a "CCI long range mag primer" is this a new primer ive never heard of it. Or did you mean "large rifle mag primer" I personally like the first one myself :)

Thanks Again everyone,

Dave

7mmRM
168 Berger VLD jammed into the lands
71.5 grns of Retumbo
Win Brass
Fed 215M
3100FPS via 28" tube

7mmRM
168 Berger VLD jammed into the lands
64.5 grns of RL 19
Win Brass
Fed 215M
3050 FPS via 28" tube

Frank21- Thanks alot for the load info really appreciate it!!!

LinksMechanic- I would love to try the 180's but no one brings in bergers here its all special order. I was just lucky in that someone had ordered these then changed thier mind. My dealer knew I wanted to try some bergers so he gave me a call and I went and picked them up. I'll probably get around to ordering some soon though.

Thanks Again!!!

Dave

The 168g VLD shoots pretty good for me out of my Rem 700 BDL, 7 RM as well with 64g RL-22, Win case, Fed 215, OAL= 3.450" Velocity is 2950fps. Groups have always been 1/2 MOA.

Tried some 180g VLD's a couple weeks ago with RL-22 and found a good load at 61g RL-22. Velocity is 2825 fps. Groups are 1/2 MOA.

Either bullet has over 1K ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards, and still going over 1600fps.

7mm mag vs 7stw vs dakota

i have a 7 mm mag i was wondering would it be that much of a gain to go to a 7 stw or a Dakota? as far as long range and how do they compare to the 7mm rum ? also on a other note iv looked at the 264 rem mag rem offers in the sendero what are some opinions on this cart. ?

I load the 180 bergers for my 700 police 7mm and they shoot under half inch easy at 100yds. Nosler brass, 68.3 grains retumbo, 215M primers, seated .005 off of lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts