7mm STW load with 168 Berger VLD

7stw

I have been working with a Sako 75, in 7STW, and found a load that seems to be a ringer. I have been foolin' with several 140 class bullets, and just wasn't getting the accuracy that I was looking for. I have some 168 ,VLD's that I bought specially for my 700P, in 7mag. So I decided to give some a whirl ahead of a stiff, but safe load of N170. I was shooting at 200 yards, and could not see my group. I let the gun cool,then fired another 3 shot group. Long story short, all six went into a group, that looked like a three shot group. I am not really surprised, those bullets really do shoot well. I have not chrony'd that load, but I am sure it is decent velocity. Just thought I would pass along some info to the brotherhood of the STW. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulbgun):) 7 STW

I have been working with a Sako 75, in 7STW, and found a load that seems to be a ringer. I have been foolin' with several 140 class bullets, and just wasn't getting the accuracy that I was looking for. I have some 168 ,VLD's that I bought specially for my 700P, in 7mag. So I decided to give some a whirl ahead of a stiff, but safe load of N170. I was shooting at 200 yards, and could not see my group. I let the gun cool,then fired another 3 shot group. Long story short, all six went into a group, that looked like a three shot group. I am not really surprised, those bullets really do shoot well. I have not chrony'd that load, but I am sure it is decent velocity. Just thought I would pass along some info to the brotherhood of the STW. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulbgun):) 7 STW

If possible I would like to get the details of your load, I'm working with the same bullet and caliber and just can't find the right one, Burning up a lot of H-1000 just trying to make it work and it just won't cut it!, Length and charge and primer would be great!!
Thanks in advance

I have some N-170 on the shelf, care to share load details. I'm shooting an Accumark in 7STW.

BTW I get very good accuracy with the 140 TTSX and Ramshot Magnum powder.

I have some N-170 on the shelf, care to share load details. I'm shooting an Accumark in 7STW.

BTW I get very good accuracy with the 140 TTSX and Ramshot Magnum powder.

This message is in response to Dano 1 as well. The specifics are 79.0 - N170-215 fed, A - Square brass. COAL, was at 3.700 exactly. The Sako has a spacious drop box, and this thing is free bored big time. The A Square brass is pretty nice stuff. Firm pockets, weighs about the same as Winchester brass. I basically used Retumbo loading data, as the burn rate is identical. ( got that from multiple sources) I even think it is a little slower myself. I am going to try it a few more times, and later crony it . If I get consistent accuracy , I will stick with it. BUT, I have a cash of 160 Failsafes , and if I can get them to shoot, game over. Those FS are awesome. Nothing has EVER walked away from me when one of those went at it! I actually wanted to shoot 140's, but the gun just is not consistent with them. My other ones are, but not this one. Those 168 VLD's are simply amazing. Everything I have shot them in either shot them right away, or just needed a little Tweaking, to get them to shoot right. Take care guys, and be safe. Let me know how you make out. I will follow up with chronograph info when the opportunity arises. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulbgun) 7STW

I only have Remington Brass, A-square would be awesome, but it's really expensive. I'll look at the 168g Bergers a little closer. I've already found the powder.

I'm still wanting to shoot the 180VLDs an where I have them on hand already. They are frst in line for devlopment. I'm also wanting to look at the 180g Hybrids and the 175g XLDs. all look like fun to me.

Dan

I only have Remington Brass, A-square would be awesome, but it's really expensive. I'll look at the 168g Bergers a little closer. I've already found the powder.

I'm still wanting to shoot the 180VLDs an where I have them on hand already. They are frst in line for devlopment. I'm also wanting to look at the 180g Hybrids and the 175g XLDs. all look like fun to me.

Dan
Dano1, I have 60 pieces of the A-Square brass. I bought it as factory ammo. It would make you sick if you knew what I paid. ( cheap) . On another note, I would think that the N-170 would be a good candidate for the 180's as well. My only reservation about those long torpedoes, is that they take up a lot of space in the case. I thought the168's were bad, man those 180's must be down to the primer hole. No doubt, I am absolutely sure they will shoot. I have a CDL in 7 UM, and I have no intention of shooting something that big. Have fun finding load info with n-170. It,'s akin to to winning the lottery. But I feel if you use Retumbo info, you are safe, then you can work up if you have the headroom. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW:D

I used Retumbo data for loading my 7RUM with the N-170 and 162 Amax. It was about 100 fps slower than Retumbo.

7STW,

I shoot the rifle single shot, I've installed a singleshot follower, so I seat them way out there. Mine also has a long throat, so It's necessary if you want to seat them to the lands.

I found the powder, but I haven't picked it up. they only had one pound and told me it's hard to come by for some reason???, so I'm now debating whether to use it at all. I have retumbo and US869 and I'll work with them both first. If no sucess, I'll go to N170.

I've posted this photo before, but it has a pic of my 7stw loads seated out to .004" off the lands.

Dans guns II 010.jpg

You can see that they are quite long. I shoot 160g Game kings as well and seat them to fit the magazine. I've decided that if I want that long range hammer, gotta shoot it single shot.....

You've seen the rifle in another post as well. It's getting a Bell and Carlson M40 Tactical stock this month as well as new bottom metal. This origional stock isn't balanced well and doesn't have a wide enough forearm to shoot off of bags. I'll be shooting the test loads after this is done.

later,

Dan

I used Retumbo data for loading my 7RUM with the N-170 and 162 Amax. It was about 100 fps slower than Retumbo.

That's pretty much what I have figured. I have been told by some people in the know, that if you use Retumbo load info amounts with n170, you are safe, and should be close in velocity. By the way, what was your load? I have a 7 rum that is beginning to show me signs of wanting to shoot. So far, it likes about 96 grains of H1000, and a 140 nosler partition, box length, with a 215 spark plug. Did your powder come in 1 pound or 2 pound canisters? My canisters are both 2 pounders. Just curious. Thanks for the feed back. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulbgun) 7STW.

Dano1, that STW looks like a ICBM. Hey that could be a new cartridge name, ( 7mm ICBM) LOL. I don' t blame you on the powder, if it ain't broke , don't fix it. I may stick with this powder due to the amount that I have. As long as the velocity is decent that is. Otherwise, I have plenty of H1000. enjoy that rifle, it is a beauty. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulbgun) 7 STW.

Just shot mine today Travis at Rbros built it for me. It has a wyatts box installed in it. MY load is Rem brass, 77.0grs of RL22, FED 215GM, 168gr Hunting VLDS, coal is 3.0285" substracted Comp. measured from Ogive. its just touching the lands. Shot 5 at 200 yards today was average 3241fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.