7mm RM Recipe for Muley Hunt

Wife has a 7mm RM in Sako Finnbear that for years always shot "good-ish"--I could never get it to shoot sub MOA til I did an experiment recommended by my gunsmith that yielded the following: 68 grs, RL-25, 160 gr Federal Trophy Bonded bullet, Fed 215 Primer, Winchester brass. We get 3030 out of a 22.5" Bbl (57cm). and ES of 15 and SD of 7. Shoots about .7 inch at 100 yds...I'm callin' that done.

I booked my first Wyoming hunt, which happened to be a Mule Deer Hunt in Northwest Wyoming. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RM (9.25" twist) that has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has been my tool of choice for many successful whitetail and bear hunts. I would like to use this rifle on this hunt. My loads for this rifle have never been fully developed, and the most recent load I partially developed is not showing enough promise for me. It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs. I'm currently loading in Winchester brass, and I'm prepared to buy better brass (ADG maybe) to improve things. Having never been on this type of hunt, I dont want to go there with any accuracy/distance limitations imposed by the rifle. Where would you start with redeveloping this load, from a component standpoint? I've got H4831, H4350, H1000, IMR7828, RL26, and I'm prepared to try others. For bullets, I like Berger, but not hung up on using them, if something else would work well. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm shooting a 30 yr old Browning Abolt in 7mmrem. 26" barrel.
I get 1/2" groups at 100yds using 162gr Hornady ELDX bullet. Using 70.5 grs of IMR 7977 get 3100 fps, with CCI 250 primer. AWESOME!!!

140g Accubond
Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2
65-66g of IMR 4350
Touch the lands with the bullet
3250 fps
3/8" or smaller groups

Most Remingtons like 65.5g, and just barely touching the lands is the key

With the 7mm ReMag that cartridge is more than adequate to take mule deer no matter what weight bullet you choose. From your post sounds like you just want to increase muzzle velocity, RL17, RL22, RL25, MAGPRO, WIN Supreme 780 are powders that show the most promise for top velocity. I've always had good performance/velocity and accuracy with with either IMR4831 or H4831 with the overbore cartridges. Nosler is showing a bullet/load that I would try if I were going on a mule deer hunt; 150gr. ABLR (B.C. 546) over 54.6gr of H4831 for a max MV of 3240.

I know that distances for mule deer hunting can get out there, what distances do you plan on hunting (comfortably)??

7mm-Rem-Mag-150gr-version-8-3.jpg

This is what I took the reply from. I understand there are many variables (including different rifles/barrel lengths) for load data. I was responding to the OP's question, not looking for a debate on load data; and......I took the information on my reply from the page above, and.....it's only a place to start. Perhaps you could provide him with some of your load data for the 7mm RemMag.

I'm not trying to start an argument. Check your numbers on the load you provided. 54.6 grs of H4831 with a 150 gr bullet in 7mm RM? That's 5 grains below any starting load I can find for 7RM + 150 gr + H4831. This is why I don't give out specific data on the inter web, bc a typ-o can ruin someone's day. I think the info you are referring too is a Nosler recommendation for 65 gr's IMR 4831 and a 150 grain, according to my notes on load data for 7mm RM. A proven load for 7mm RM and killing mule deer is as follows:
140 gr Berger VLD
3.310 COAL
67.3 grs RL-22
Fed 215
This load works (aka sub moa) in every 1:9.5 twist 7 RM it has been shot in. But the OP didn't list RL-22 as a powder he has and he doesn't have a 1:9.5T, so this doesn't do him much good.

I shoot a 7 Rem Mag with Berger 168 VLD's, 69gr H1000, , Nosler or Norma brass, 2950 fps, 26" Schneider Alaskan barrel, Predator action. Had it built up a few years ago.

Critical to my accuracy is being close to the lands, jump 0.015.

Disclaimer... Every rifle is different but it gets me 0.26 MOA.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 1.44.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 1.44.09 PM.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 72
I shoot a Wby 7mm mag, a Tika 7mm rem mag, both 26", and a Browning BAR 7mm rem mag 24". I Use H4831, IMR 7828 in all three. I use Hornady 154 SST or 140 Nos in all three. The Wby likes either the T 3 the 154, the BAR goes for the 140 Nos Silver tip. Accuracy is Wby, Tika and BAR, .3", .6", and .9" respectively. BAR also likes the Superformance factory, which bests my loads by 160 fps, with equal accuracy. All three multiple deer, elk,all caribou, dead on impact.

I'm not an expert in the 7mm RM. I've shot my share of mulies though. If it were me,
I'd go with an ABLR , eld-x , Gamechanger, or TSX, TTSX bullet of around 150 grs. Nothing wrong with Bergers either. The practice will do you good. Shoot prone and with a bipod or shooting sticks when you pick your load.

I'm not trying to start an argument. Check your numbers on the load you provided. 54.6 grs of H4831 with a 150 gr bullet in 7mm RM? That's 5 grains below any starting load I can find for 7RM + 150 gr + H4831. This is why I don't give out specific data on the inter web, bc a typ-o can ruin someone's day. I think the info you are referring too is a Nosler recommendation for 65 gr's IMR 4831 and a 150 grain, according to my notes on load data for 7mm RM. A proven load for 7mm RM and killing mule deer is as follows:
140 gr Berger VLD
3.310 COAL
67.3 grs RL-22
Fed 215
This load works (aka sub moa) in every 1:9.5 twist 7 RM it has been shot in. But the OP didn't list RL-22 as a powder he has and he doesn't have a 1:9.5T, so this doesn't do him much good.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, you are totally correct on that load data. It was my error and I apologize to you and the OP for that. I did go back in and edit my original reply/post.

I'd also like to say that "sometimes" presentation contributes a lot to interpretation!

Last edited:
I booked my first Wyoming hunt, which happened to be a Mule Deer Hunt in Northwest Wyoming. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RM (9.25" twist) that has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has been my tool of choice for many successful whitetail and bear hunts. I would like to use this rifle on this hunt. My loads for this rifle have never been fully developed, and the most recent load I partially developed is not showing enough promise for me. It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs. I'm currently loading in Winchester brass, and I'm prepared to buy better brass (ADG maybe) to improve things. Having never been on this type of hunt, I dont want to go there with any accuracy/distance limitations imposed by the rifle. Where would you start with redeveloping this load, from a component standpoint? I've got H4831, H4350, H1000, IMR7828, RL26, and I'm prepared to try others. For bullets, I like Berger, but not hung up on using them, if something else would work well. Thanks in advance for your help.
I would try IMR 4831 or Retumbo powders. Nosler 160 gr accubond. Works great. Much better hunting bullet than burger.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.