7mm RM Recipe for Muley Hunt

For many years I used a 280AI pushing a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip out at 3150FPS.Never had to shot a deer more than once out to about 500 yards.You do not need a heavy bullet for Mule Deer.Big Mule deer are not a slam dunk.They are as hard to find as a big whitetail unless you hunt the rut or a private ranch where they are unmolested.Many outfitters will put you on a buck and tell you to shoot.Make sure they understand you want more than a representative of the species.A good guide should be able to get you on several deer so you can make the decision to shoot.A good guide will get you as close as possible to the animal.Good luck on your hunt,Huntz

I booked my first Wyoming hunt, which happened to be a Mule Deer Hunt in Northwest Wyoming. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RM (9.25" twist) that has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has been my tool of choice for many successful whitetail and bear hunts. I would like to use this rifle on this hunt. My loads for this rifle have never been fully developed, and the most recent load I partially developed is not showing enough promise for me. It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs. I'm currently loading in Winchester brass, and I'm prepared to buy better brass (ADG maybe) to improve things. Having never been on this type of hunt, I dont want to go there with any accuracy/distance limitations imposed by the rifle. Where would you start with redeveloping this load, from a component standpoint? I've got H4831, H4350, H1000, IMR7828, RL26, and I'm prepared to try others. For bullets, I like Berger, but not hung up on using them, if something else would work well. Thanks in advance for your help.

H1000 for all my 7mm RM loads.

I booked my first Wyoming hunt, which happened to be a Mule Deer Hunt in Northwest Wyoming. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RM (9.25" twist) that has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has been my tool of choice for many successful whitetail and bear hunts. I would like to use this rifle on this hunt. My loads for this rifle have never been fully developed, and the most recent load I partially developed is not showing enough promise for me. It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs. I'm currently loading in Winchester brass, and I'm prepared to buy better brass (ADG maybe) to improve things. Having never been on this type of hunt, I dont want to go there with any accuracy/distance limitations imposed by the rifle. Where would you start with redeveloping this load, from a component standpoint? I've got H4831, H4350, H1000, IMR7828, RL26, and I'm prepared to try others. For bullets, I like Berger, but not hung up on using them, if something else would work well. Thanks in advance for your help.
I think that if you speed up the 168 VLD and experiment with seating depth you would have better results. Both of my rem 700 like .015 from the lands.

I load several handgun and rifle calibers. The 7mm rem mag is one of my favorite because it is my go to hunting gun. My 1:10 Ruger Mark II really likes the Barnes 140 TTSX over 69.2 of H1000. Killed lots of mule deer with that combo. Shoots right at 3000 fps

Nosler is showing a bullet/load that I would try if I were going on a mule deer hunt; 150gr. ABLR (B.C. 546) over 54.6gr of H4831 for a max MV of 3240.

That load data is wildly optimistic from Nosler. It takes 69.6 gr's of H4831sc to get a 140 gr accubond to go 3,250 fps in my 7 RM, let alone 15 grains less powder and a 10 gr heavier bullet.

I would consider trying a powder that is relatively temperature stable. That way you can minimize wide velocity swings if you happen to have a really warm or cold hunt. I can't remember where I found this chart but it's easy to see some powders are much better than others assuming this data is correct.

Attachments

• C347A1E0-7EF4-4B15-8723-34E7778EB8DA.png
    C347A1E0-7EF4-4B15-8723-34E7778EB8DA.png
    830.3 KB · Views: 92
I'm shooting retumbo in my 7 mag and I would think you would end up at 69-71g but work up to it. I have been using fed215m primers.

168 AccuBond/partitions with Retumbo

That load data is wildly optimistic from Nosler. It takes 69.6 gr's of H4831sc to get a 140 gr accubond to go 3,250 fps in my 7 RM, let alone 15 grains less powder and a 10 gr heavier bullet.

7mm-Rem-Mag-150gr-version-8-3.jpg

This is what I took the reply from. I understand there are many variables (including different rifles/barrel lengths) for load data. I was responding to the OP's question, not looking for a debate on load data; and......I took the information on my reply from the page above, and.....it's only a place to start. Perhaps you could provide him with some of your load data for the 7mm RemMag.

Wife has a 7mm RM in Sako Finnbear that for years always shot "good-ish"--I could never get it to shoot sub MOA til I did an experiment recommended by my gunsmith that yielded the following: 68 grs, RL-25, 160 gr Federal Trophy Bonded bullet, Fed 215 Primer, Winchester brass. We get 3030 out of a 22.5" Bbl (57cm). and ES of 15 and SD of 7. Shoots about .7 inch at 100 yds...I'm callin' that done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.