7mm RM Recipe for Muley Hunt

It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs.

Out of curiosity, what made you stop load development at that speed with that bullet? I'm betting your current load could jump up a ways with a little more juice. Are you pressured out? Good, consistent brass will always help.

Out of curiosity, what made you stop load development at that speed with that bullet? I'm betting your current load could jump up a ways with a little more juice. Are you pressured out? Good, consistent brass will always help.

Well, that is a good question. I have spent so much time developing loads for target shooting, that when I went back to check my notes on how I got to the load I had, I didnt have any. So, I am definately going to go ahead and build up some rou ss in 1/2 grain increments and run them up to book max, and probably beyond to see where I start to see pressure, and back down from there. Given the current situation with some powders being unavailable, I might work up multiple pressure test loading to see what I get. I dont shoot the H4831 in any other rifle, so the powder I have would go a long ways in the 7rm, without cutting into my stash for other rifles.
There have been lots of good suggestions here, and I'm going to consider them all moving forward. I might be stuck with the brass I have for the moment as ADG looks to be out of 7mmRM right now. Thanks for the info so far. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Well, that is a good question. I have spent so much time developing loads for target shooting, that when I went back to check my notes on how I got to the load I had, I didnt have any. So, I am definately going to go ahead and build up some rou ss in 1/2 grain increments and run them up to book max, and probably beyond to see where I start to see pressure, and back down from there. Given the current situation with some powders being unavailable, I might work up multiple pressure test loading to see what I get. I dont shoot the H4831 in any other rifle, so the powder I have would go a long ways in the 7rm, without cutting into my stash for other rifles.
There have been lots of good suggestions here, and I'm going to consider them all moving forward. I might be stuck with the brass I have for the moment as ADG looks to be out of 7mmRM right now. Thanks for the info so far. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
2950 FPS should be obtainable. I ran h4831sc is several 7mm with good success. Only reason I don't shoot it I'm out and have a lot of h1000 and RL26. But good powder.

I've used both H1000 and Retumbo for the 168gr Berger in a 1:9" 7mm RM. 69.5gr H1000 was 3007fps out of a 26" barrel. I cut the barrel down to 22" and switched to Retumbo and now get 3024fps. Both shoot/shot 1/3-1/2 MOA consistently.

I have been using IMR 7828 pushing 160 grain Nosler Accubonds out of my 7 mm rem mag for several years. My load is above 'book max' and I am getting 3100 fps mv. I did work up to my load very gradually. My seating depth is .015 jump from lands. Accuracy is sub .5 moa out to 700 yards during good conditions. My barrel is a 26" Krieger #6 contour 9.5 twist. I have been using Federal brass and Federal GM Match Large Rifle Magnum primers. I am planning to begin using Norma brass in the future.
I Have a winchester mod 70 7mm RM that performs very similar with 160 accubonds and a book max of RL25, but speed topped out at 3040. .020 off the lands. My brother runs the same load at 30 fps better in his browning 7mm RM. Nothing has ever turned down a date with the Accubond over the years, but i am toying with hammers in my new 7 sherman max to try a different flavor too. Lots of good hammer results floating around.

The 160 grain Sierra game King works well on big mule deer at range and elk. I have three grown sons and we all live in the Rocky mountains and hunt deer and elk regularly and that combination works well

I booked my first Wyoming hunt, which happened to be a Mule Deer Hunt in Northwest Wyoming. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RM (9.25" twist) that has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has been my tool of choice for many successful whitetail and bear hunts. I would like to use this rifle on this hunt. My loads for this rifle have never been fully developed, and the most recent load I partially developed is not showing enough promise for me. It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs. I'm currently loading in Winchester brass, and I'm prepared to buy better brass (ADG maybe) to improve things. Having never been on this type of hunt, I dont want to go there with any accuracy/distance limitations imposed by the rifle. Where would you start with redeveloping this load, from a component standpoint? I've got H4831, H4350, H1000, IMR7828, RL26, and I'm prepared to try others. For bullets, I like Berger, but not hung up on using them, if something else would work well. Thanks in advance for your help.
I've used a 7mm sako with 140 vlds for mule deer all my life and never lose a deer and the largest 32 3/4 " ! I reload with lapua brass and h4831 ! Fast and accurate !

I booked my first Wyoming hunt, which happened to be a Mule Deer Hunt in Northwest Wyoming. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RM (9.25" twist) that has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has been my tool of choice for many successful whitetail and bear hunts. I would like to use this rifle on this hunt. My loads for this rifle have never been fully developed, and the most recent load I partially developed is not showing enough promise for me. It's a 168 grain Berger VLD going around 2750 FPS. Not particularly fast, not particularly accurate, not particularly good ESs. I'm currently loading in Winchester brass, and I'm prepared to buy better brass (ADG maybe) to improve things. Having never been on this type of hunt, I dont want to go there with any accuracy/distance limitations imposed by the rifle. Where would you start with redeveloping this load, from a component standpoint? I've got H4831, H4350, H1000, IMR7828, RL26, and I'm prepared to try others. For bullets, I like Berger, but not hung up on using them, if something else would work well. Thanks in advance for your help.
You don't need anything special for a Mulie, go to the store and buy a box of your Favorite brand of 160 gr 7MM and shoot it. Mulies are the Dumbest animals on the planet. you can almost walk up them and slit their throat. I shot plenty of them here in Montana with everything from my M1 carbine to 30-06 most were with my 30-30 and 243

I have a Remington Sendero in 7 Rem Mag. 1-9.25 twist. I've had very good luck with Retumbo powder and the 168 grain Berger VLDs. 26" barrel I'm getting 3265 FPS. I use the Retumbo powder for the heavier bullets 168-180 grain. The other powders you mentioned would be best for the lighter bullets prob in the 130-150 grain. I used to shoot the 150 grain VLDs with the H4350 and H4831 with good success. I just wanted a heavier bullet for the 7 Mag. When I switched to the 168 grain VLD and stayed with H4350 and H4831 my groups opened up. That's why I switched to Retumbo. Very happy I did.

Last edited:
My recipe for a 42 year old Remington 700 BDL:
168 Nosler Accubond LR
Jump: 0.120 from lands
68 grains H-1000

2850 FPS, 9 ES, .6 MOA confirmed at 600 yards and great bullet performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.