7mm remington mag. bullet choice for kudu???

ETP

Well I finally booked a trip planned to South Africa. Kudu is on the top of list. I have a 7mm rem mag i plan on taking and curious what everyone would use as a bullet??

Well I finally booked a trip planned to South Africa. Kudu is on the top of list. I have a 7mm rem mag i plan on taking and curious what everyone would use as a bullet??

What is your comfort zone on shot distance? Or better yet, what is your PH's that he imposes on his hunters?

If my memory severs me, kudu are in the 3-500lb range? I think a good bonded bullet would best serve you. But as mentioned what sort of range do you plan on shooting out to?

Going to try and keep my shots to probably 500 or less because if you draw blood you pay for the animal evenif you dont recover it. Just to keep my odds as high as possible. Does the accubond long rwnge have anyadvantage over the regular other than bc?? Got a year and a half to decide might as well start working now tho..

Been 2 times to Africa. Killed a Kudu each trip. They are close to the size of an elk. Like a big cow or a big bodied 5 pt. Not as large as a really big bull elk....usually. Vitals tend to sit a little further forward than an elk. Go to Africa Hunting.com and look at the shot placement diagrams. The Accubond is a good choice as is the Barnes TTSX. In much of Africa there are not a lot of long range shooting opportunities. Most of the kudu are killed at less than 2oo yards so the lower BC on the TTSX is fine. The MRX would also be a good choice. The Burger may open up a bit fast for me to use it. If I used the Burger I'd want a broadside soft tissue hit. In Africa your PH is usually going to want you to shoot them on the shoulder. North Forks also have a good reputation and make a 160 and 175 grain in the 7mm. Any good bonded bullet should work well. If you have more questions feel free to PM me. Bruce

I would say a 160-grain Barnes, Nosler Partition or Accubond. I would stay away from Bergers if it was me. The 175 is also good, but if you run the numbers, the 160 will do everything the 175 will.

I went to South Africa with my dad last year. Most PH's are big fans of the Barnes TSX. But also like the accubond. I guess the Accubond would probably be a more versatile choice because of the higher BC if a longer shot presented itself.

We were using 30.06 and the kudu maybe ran 15 yards and expired

I would try both the hornady Interbond 154gr or nosler accubond 160gr. Try working up loads with each and see what shoots best for you.

The Greater Kudu can get up to 600lbs and the lesser 220lbs and while they are thin skinned they are not known for being easy to kill so a good bonded bullet is definitely the way to go.

Talk with your PH to find out which species you will be hunting and factor that into your bullet selection as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.