7mm and .30 cal bullet choice

I hunt elk with my 300 WSM and use my 7 STW as a back up. Accubonds have worked very well in both, but I changed over to the ELDX bullets and haven't been disappointed. The 200 gr ELDX in my 300 WSM was Thor's hammer on a nice bull. He looked like he got hit by lightning. I shoot both the 160 & 175 gr ELDX's in my 7 STW. You need a faster twist to shoot the 175 (1:8.5 or less)
If you want an all copper bullet, look at the Hammer Bullets. They are fantastic. Terminal performance is nothing but devastating and they are very very accurate and easy to load develop.

I used the Booger 175 grain Match VLD Hunting this year out of my 300WSM. The excellent performance mirrored what other have said with a small entry and immediate expansion. Sounds like you have experience with the Bergers.

Any real world experience with the 162 grain eld-x out of a 7mm magnum on elk? Hornady says you need a 1:9.5 twist. My barrel has a 1:10 twist but shoots the factory weatherby 160 grain bullets really well. I was going to work some loads up and see how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.