7mm Remington Mag Barrel and Length

Greg Duerr

Im considering having a Custom 7mm R M built and was just wondering what Barrel contour Length and Twist rate you would recommend. It will be on a 700 action with maybe a McMillan Game Warden Stock............I will be shooting either the 175 or 180 Bergers.

Thanks for all your input and recommendations.

Like Martin said, 26-28" length, 1:8 twist, and if you're going to pack it or be toting it alot, then I'd go Bartlein 3B or Proof Research carbon fiber. If it's for mostly target or stationary shooting, something heavier like a Sendero/Rem Varmint contour.

I'm going to rebarrel a rifle to a 7mm rem mag, going to order a proof bull barrel at 28". Considered going with a light Palma and leaving it 30".
I'm only going to shoot heavies so probably 8 twist

26-27 should get you most of what your looking for

I shoot a 24" that yields 3040fps with 168gr Berger VLD's and Retumbo...... could easily go hotter but the accuracy node dictated my stopping point

Im considering having a Custom 7mm R M built and was just wondering what Barrel contour Length and Twist rate you would recommend. It will be on a 700 action with maybe a McMillan Game Warden Stock............I will be shooting either the 175 or 180 Bergers.

Thanks for all your input and recommendations.

IIWY, I'd go with 1:8" or faster and shoot the Hammer Bullet's 177s. As far as contour and length goes, it depends of how much weight you want to lug around. On my last two builds, I have a 30" Lilja #6 contour (.750") at the muzzle) and 27" Lilja #7 (.825" at the muzzle).

Last edited:
I'd get 1:8 twist, in case you every want to go heavier than 180. Personally, 26-28" is probably about right for length. 24" if you needed a little shorter package.

Said pretty much what I was gonna say. From my experience with a similar build.
To me accuracy is first but a little more speed is nice, 24 to 28 inch won't help with accuracy much but a lil more fps with a longer bbl might help. IMO, Also my 7mm shot 168 bergers well but shot better with the 175 eldx, that may have been just my rifle but they might be worth a try.

side not I never found an extra 4 inches on my barrel to hinder anything, but I dont hike 25 miles for sheep either.

Said pretty much what I was gonna say. From my experience with a similar build.
To me accuracy is first but a little more speed is nice, 24 to 28 inch won't help with accuracy much but a lil more fps with a longer bbl might help. IMO, Also my 7mm shot 168 bergers well but shot better with the 175 eldx, that may have been just my rifle but they might be worth a try.

side not I never found an extra 4 inches on my barrel to hinder anything, but I dont hike 25 miles for sheep either.

Another side note I know bartlein and proof are the popular barrels, I would also like to throw out the name Benchmark.

I love what a 26+ in barrel gives you—and if your setting up prone or shooting from a stand...fine..but packing and portability mean more to me now. And a 28 in barrel on a long action...now that's a long Tom. I had a good acquaintance, thy was quite a Hunter his favorite rifle was a 22 in barreled 7mm mag. He told me—he would not have built it any different. He shot a lot of 175 grain bullets and said he lost maybe 30 FPS over a 24 in barrel

26" Bartlein #3B fluted plus APA Micro Bastard brake 1:8.5" is what MY 7RM wears.
I shoot a 180 Hybrid @ 2996 over H1000. Not the fastest, but ridiculously accurate.

26" Bartlein #3B fluted plus APA Micro Bastard brake 1:8.5" is what MY 7RM wears.
I shoot a 180 Hybrid @ 2996 over H1000. Not the fastest, but ridiculously accurate.
I just put together a build with the same barrel and a little bastard brake, also 26"(mine is 8.75" not 8.5"). Could I get your powder weight and primer?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.