7mm rem mag or 7mm STW

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
I have been looking for a Remington Sendero in 7mm rem mag for awhile now. I found a couple of 7mm STW's, but have never shot an STW before. I had a friend that had a Ruger #1 in 7 STW and he got rid of it because of the recoil. In a Sendero weight rifle, is the STW going to have much recoil? I have shot several standard weight 7 mags, and I shoot a 9.5lb 300wsm now. Any advise or experiences? I enjoy shooting alot, I just don't want to get something that will end up having me flinch all the time.

TMR,
I own a 7mm RemMag Sendero (original style, non-fluted) and it kicks plenty to me. It's right at my threshold for recoil. I had a .300 WinMag and it was a bit much. I developed a flinch and had to start over with the smaller cal's.
I'm 5'8", 175lbs, and I would love to have a 7STW but I know it's too much for ME. Recoil is a relative thing, different to each of us. I know this isn't a definite answer, but I'm not sure there is one. Johnny K.

I shoot a 7STW Sendero all the time. Actually, I shot it so much that I just had the barrel set-back and rechambered.

Shoot 140gr bullets at sane velocities and you shouldn't have any problem. If it does prove to be too much then I would consider a muzzle brake, a better recoil pad, or just adding a bit of weight.

With that said, the 7STW will roughly do what the 7mm Rem mag does at 100yds farther. Is the extra 100yds worth it for you?

Recoil is very subjective, and so is the need for all of the popular magnums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The best thing is to shoot something that has near the same kick level, or shoot the round you want to get. Recoil is subjective and everybody is different. I have shot 7 RM, 7 STW, 300 WM, 338 WM, and 300 RUM, all sporter weight rifles. None have muzzle brakes or any kind of special pad. I am 6'1 138 lbs, and I have no problems shooting any of them off a bench or in field positions. I love shooting my 300 RUM so much that my barrels toast, about 1100 rounds in 2 years. I have not developed a flinch, just got use to the kick, and I went in with the mindset that, "yah its going to kick, but I cant be scared of it". Just hold it tight in the pocket, and let it rock ya back. I have been scoped 3 times, laying prone with stout 220g bullets, but I did not let that get to me. Recoil is different to everybody though and everyone has there thresholds. I would say the recoil would not be bad in a sendero weight rifle, but thats just ME. If it turns out to be to much, put a limbsaver and it should cut it down to at least a 270 or so. Performance wise, you could probly add another 100-200 yards with the advantage going to the STW.

like everyone has said, some can take more than others. I had a sendero 7ultra that beat me to pieces. I would not want that recoil again, but someone else may love it. It gave me a wicked flinch that I am still trying to get over.

I have a Bansner built UR-1 in 7 stw, with a #5 lilja (I think) 26" plus a brake, it weighs 8.5# with a 6.5x20 leupold in loopy mounts, and a pachmeyer decellerator pad. it recoils lee than a rem model 7 in 6mm.
I also have a stock rem 700 7 rm that kicks worse than the stw does, alot worse!
JS

Like everybody else said , recoil is subjective. But I will say that it has alot to do with your body size and shape , a smaller lighter shooter generaly will not get the painfull smack that a larger shooter does as the recoil will move the smaller shooter around where as the larger shooter has more mass to suckup and absorb the recoil letting you feel a little more.
But like it was said recoil is subjective , I'm a pretty big boy at 6'3" and around 300lbs in the off season , recoild doesen't realy bother me to much but some guns stock shape will cause some disscomfort.

If you can't find a 7mmrem mag then give the 7STW a try worst case you have to have a brake put on it but first try a new pad the new SIMS pads help alot , I use them on all the patrol 12ga I put together for local LE guys now they say it helps alot with full house slugs or #6

TMR,
I have a sendero chambered in 7 ultra mag. I really enjoy shooting it. It all depends on your tolerence. I've been shooting my sendero for about three years and it doesn't really bother me. If it did bother you, a muzzle break is not that expensive at all. I don't see myself getting a break for mine.
Brandon

Well, guess I will find out soon. I found a Sendero in 7mm stw that I bought, should be here end of the week. When I did the recoil calculations online, it was about the same as my short mag that I have now. Thanks for the comments guys.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, guess I will find out soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how was it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So how was it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to wait until next week......UPS screwed up in transit and it won't be here until the 11th. Only 5 more sleepless nights.

[ QUOTE ]
recoil is subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's for sure. My brother, nephews and I think my 50 BMG's are my lightest kicking guns. My 105# petite nieces say my 338 winMan BAR is. They all easily shoot my Kirby/Lilja 375 RUM with Holland QD Brake. They won't shoot my stock 243 winny but think my Kirby/Lilja 338 RUM with Holland Qd is a Pusey cat. If fact, after shooting the 375 tack driver at the range one day, I reached for my favorite factory gun, an a-bolt 270 WSM. I got magnum eye, flinch, and couldn't hit squat. I had it send it to Kirby for a Holland QD brake and trigger job. Now it shoots 1/2 MOA again (Just dumb luck for a factory gun to shoot that well).

With my caldwell electronic muffs, I can hear fine with no noise suppression - and the blast is removed when I shoot. I've noticed I'm not too popular at the range tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Except everyone comes to see what is making the horrendous blast, then they see the amazingly beautiful/accurate long range hammers Kirby makes me.)

As much as I love the 4 RUMS I own, the 7mm RUM is way too overbore. 7STW's give the best consistency. I'll send Kirby a rem 700 LA some day and have him put a long Lilja tube on it cut for 7STW.

When shooting hand held rifles, the more recoil there is the harder it is to shoot them accurately. If one of those cartridges fits a 25 to 50 pound benchrest rifle fired in free recoil, then it doesn't matter.

It's the recoil that happens while the bullet's going down the barrel (sometimes called 'jump') that makes hard kicking ones more difficult to shoot straight. For starting out, the 7mm Rem. Mag. would be the better choice because it's got less recoil. When its barrel wears out and you've mastered its recoil, maybe you'll want to have it chambered for the 7mm STW. Note the STW's barrel will have about 30% less barrel life than the Rem. Mag. one.

[ QUOTE ]
When shooting hand held rifles, the more recoil there is the harder it is to shoot them accurately. If one of those cartridges fits a 25 to 50 pound benchrest rifle fired in free recoil, then it doesn't matter.

BartB,

I agree that more recoil will develop poor shooting habits....With that being said, the 7mm STW in a Sendero weight rifle, recoils less that my brothers 7mm Rem Mag in a standard weight rifle. There is about 2.5 lbs difference in the rifles, but the STW does has less felt recoil. I have been shooting 160 gr Accubonds and 168 VLD's through it at around 3200fps and it is very pleasant to shoot. I did read where the STW throat will erode quickly and groups will start to open up. So far this rifle will put 3 shots almost in one hole at 100 yds, just over 3/8" of and inch at 200 yds. I have not bedded the rifle yet, but plan to today. So far, I am very happy with it. Just sent my scope back to Leupold to get target turrents installed, so my shooting will have to stop for a little while. Hopefully I get it back before I head to Montana at the end of the month....was hoping to do a little prarie dog or rockchuck hunting.

It's the recoil that happens while the bullet's going down the barrel (sometimes called 'jump') that makes hard kicking ones more difficult to shoot straight. For starting out, the 7mm Rem. Mag. would be the better choice because it's got less recoil. When its barrel wears out and you've mastered its recoil, maybe you'll want to have it chambered for the 7mm STW. Note the STW's barrel will have about 30% less barrel life than the Rem. Mag. one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recent Posts