7MM REM MAG BULLETS

Call or email Steve at Hammer Bullets. He loaded a round for my Cooper 7mm and it's an absolute beast. I just got another 7mm and he will be doing the load for this one as well.

What is your low end velocity threshold for reliable expansion ?

Sorry that question was directed at rockymntmt.
He says 1800 for reliable expansion for all his bullets, if you want to go below that he suggests that you test them at lower velocities for yourself, I have heard they expand lower but I've not tested them yet. I'm sure it could depend on which style (hh vs sh) and possibly caliber and weight....I also know that twist rate can affect expansion, more twist/"stability" tends to equal more expansion

Our 143g Hammer Hunter would be an excellent choice. Good bc and great vel makes it a tough bullet to beat in the 7's until you start hunting beyond 800y. You should expect to see near 3300 fps with this one.

Would you recommend these in a 1:10 TC Venture. I am more than comfortable shooting out to 800yds.

What is your low end velocity threshold for reliable expansion ?
Ask of our bullets test reliably to art least 1800 fps. This is our min recommended impact vel for hunting for what we think is good for a humane kill. We do not test to see how low they will go. If someone is comfortable shooting game at lower vel we recommend doing your own low vel impact testing and making your own determination how low you are comfortable with.

well i probably will keep it under 500 yards for actually shots on game but will try to make them as close as possible. but will probably shoot some steel at much further distances with the same round.

The 160gr and 162gr are provably the best and most versatile bullets for the 7mm Rem Mag. I would go with the 162 SST or ELD-X or a 160gr AB or 168gr ABLR, reliable expansion at close and long distances and with the ELD-X or ABLR you can go to 1,000 yards no problem, thats if you decide to go than long on a hunt or as you mentioned just shoot steel at longer ranges

I like the performance of these over the all copper bullets, they expand more reliably and cause a wider wound channel therefore they kill faster. If the all copper bulleta hits at a somewhat slow speed it just doesn't expand as needed unless you hit bone, but if you don't you would cause the animal a a slow death. If you are a hunter that preffers shoulder shots you might be fine with either choice, but I rather stay away from all copper bullets, just a personal choice.

Regards

LVJ76

The 160gr and 162gr are provably the best and most versatile bullets for the 7mm Rem Mag. I would go with the 162 SST or ELD-X or a 160gr AB or 168gr ABLR, reliable expansion at close and long distances and with the ELD-X or ABLR you can go to 1,000 yards no problem, thats if you decide to go than long on a hunt or as you mentioned just shoot steel at longer ranges

I like the performance of these over the all copper bullets, they expand more reliably and cause a wider wound channel therefore they kill faster. If the all copper bulleta hits at a somewhat slow speed it just doesn't expand as needed unless you hit bone, but if you don't you would cause the animal a a slow death. If you are a hunter that preffers shoulder shots you might be fine with either choice, but I rather stay away from all copper bullets, just a personal choice.

Regards

LVJ76
Depends on the pure copper bullet. They are not all the same. We have been through literally thousands of pounds of copper to find what does what we want.

Depends on the pure copper bullet. They are not all the same. We have been through literally thousands of pounds of copper to find what does what we want.

I know there are some great all copper or monolithic bullets that work great on some game with some cartridges at some specific distances or speeds. In my case I don't mind my bullets losing some weight and I am yet to see a monolithic one expand like a cup and core. I also have not seen a wide wound channel like the ones produced by lead core bullets

In the areas where we hunt we usually have high winds from 20 to 30 mph with wind gusts up to 40 and 45 mph, so I can't afford to take a risk with a shot that goes off by a couple inches with a bullet that might not expand as required to produce a fast kill. This is just based on my personal experience, for me in my hunting situations the lead core bullets work best.

Regards

LVJ76

I would use the Hornady 162 SST or Interbond before the Amax. My personal load is 70.5 RE-25 with 210M primer or 72.5-73.0 grains of H1000 with 210M primer and the 162 SST. My load of RE-25 is 2,950 fps and the H1000 is 3,050 fps with a 26.5" Krieger 9.5 twist barrel. I have no personal experience shooting elk with either bullet, but that is what I was recommended to use by guys who have. I'm sure the 168 Berger or the 160 Nosler Partition would work fine too.

I would use the Hornady 162 SST or Interbond before the Amax. My personal load is 70.5 RE-25 with 210M primer or 72.5-73.0 grains of H1000 with 210M primer and the 162 SST. My load of RE-25 is 2,950 fps and the H1000 is 3,050 fps with a 26.5" Krieger 9.5 twist barrel. I have no personal experience shooting elk with either bullet, but that is what I was recommended to use by guys who have. I'm sure the 168 Berger or the 160 Nosler Partition would work fine too.
Use caution with the sst it's a very explosive bullet!
I had one explode on impact on a deer, it shredded the hide and outer tissue making a massive tear In the deer.
I tracked him about a mile and kept finding chunks of fat and tissue, no buck.
Amax and ELD-M are much better bullets

Back in the 90's, I loaded the old Barnes 120X very fast in a 7mm RemMag I gave my Pastor. It shot a 1 1/8", 4 shot group at 300yds, very flat out to 400. Reason I know is he popped a big (big for a goat) Ibex cross at 400. I think the monos are better on big deer and for sure elk. If using monos on the lighter stuff, try the 120gr. I know a couple fellows who use the Nosler 120BT in their 7mm Mags! I loaded and shot the Barnes 140TTSX out to 700yds from a 7mm RUM. I was around 3300 in that rifle. I think the Hammer bullets design is worth trying out for an all around, antelope to elk. They sure are affodable

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.