7mm Rem Mag 175gr ABLR at 2,815 fps.....should I be happy with this?

I'm getting 2838 out of my 24" Compass. 62 grains of RL-25, 1/2 MOA @100 yards. I would think you could get more out of a 26".

As others have mentioned, you have likely found a node in the lower end of the spectrum. There's PROBABLY another one on the high end but it will take more load development to find it.
I'm currently in the middle of load development for my 7RM after a rebarrel and using the Berger 175 Elite Hunter. I'm getting an average of 3015fps with Retumbo making sub 1/2" groups @100, but unfortunately ES is horrible (in the 50's).
I have another batch of tests loaded and waiting on the chance to get to the range hoping I can get the ES to a manageable number. Switching to CCI from Federal GMM primers dropped the numbers by about 10 but its still not acceptable for a LR load.

Having said all of that, Id be thrilled with your current situation combining great accuracy and ES! Also, beware of some of the velocity claims you read on the internet about the 7RM velocity reports. Some of them I read and wonder why we ever needed the 28N!:D

This is what I worked up with a stock Rem 700 SPS 26" Barrel 9.25 Twist, 1/2" group, 66 grains of powder, cheap brass.
IMG_20191011_154721113_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191011_180043216.jpg

With a velocity of 2,815fps that is. I'm using a 26" 1:8 Criterion barrel, and I am loading with 63.5 gr of RL23 behind my 175 gr ABLR bullet. Federal 215 Match Primers. It is pretty mild recoiling, plus usually touches rounds at 100yds unless my hold is off. Extreme velocity spread is only 4fps!

Of course I am happy to get an accurate load but I have to say that I does bother me when I see guys here getting over 3,000fps with 180gr bullets. I do realize that and extra 175fps isn't going to make a difference on any game animal but it bothers me non the less. I have 200 loaded up with good Norma Brass.

What are your thoughts on this....am I overthinking velocity?
Stick with it if it shoots as good out to the max ranges you want to shoot. Consistent accuracy is way more important than an extra 100-200 ft lbs of energy.

I do agree with the numbers melex has posted. I use very similar components with rhe same results. Do believe as others have stated that you may be at a lower node. I would probably try to find rhe next one myself. In my experience most of the time the accuracy you get at the lower node is the same as the next higher one. Sometimes better.

morning, first barnes bullets, second, H870 or equivlent,sp. long shot mag.
powder or 4831sc. these powders work great in 7MMmag.
justme gbot tum

Yeah Barnes bullets are not what he's looking for in this situation. Copper bullets build pressure quicker so he would have to use a lower powder charge meaning even less velocity than he is getting now. Also the 168 LRX has a .550 BC compared to his ABLR which is at like .650. That's really significant when it comes to long range ballistics and wind drift. Lastly, his minimum velo for the ABLR is like 1300 fps, LRX is 1600. So now he would be losing some yardage worried about bullet expansion with minimum impact velocity. He's picked the right bullet for his shooting parameters, but is wondering if he should be looking for more speed. The only faster bullet is a Berger bullet because they have the least amount of bearing surface compared to the Barnes lrx, Hornady eldm or Nosler Accubond LR. It's going to take a increase in powder or change in powder to get him that 2900+ fps. About the only powder that's going to beat Rldr 23 is Rldr 26, Retumbo or H1000. He could try a Fed large rifle match primer. Sometimes weird things happen and magnum primers are actually slower velo than a standard primer because they ignite the powder so fast in the chamber I can only guess but I've seen it happen.

Thanks for the response! You are telling me what I want to hear, since I hate to start all over, I have a good supply of components, and I also have a few hundred rounds loaded up already;)

Is my 2,815 an egregiously LOW velocity for a 175gr 7mm Rem Mag?
From what I have read so far I know that it's on the low end of the spectrum but is it THAT slow?
Doesn't anybody own and read reloading manuals?

Not anymore. Those are just to get a starting load. After that it's on a rifle to rifle basis. Barrels, chambers/ headspace, rifling, chromoly vs stainless and every manufacturer all build pressures at different rates. Then you have casings, primers, barrel lengths, suppressors the list goes on and on that make the manuals a basic guideline at best. I use field observations and Quickload data over any manuals anymore. But that's just me.

morning, disagree 707, u have the TTSX,TSX, LRX.
I yet to see that any of these bullets loose velocity
anymore than the other advertised HUNTING bullets.
barnes bullet need to be pushed hard!!! the only
complaint I have seen about barnes, at close range
is the mushroom performance. justme gbot tum

Use Retumbo or H1000. In a 22" barrel using 69gr Retumbo and the 168gr Berger VLD I'm getting 3024 without pressure. Consistently shoots 1/4-1/3 MOA at 500.

I do and I have several. A good starting point but isn't it always better to get real time info and advice from people like our members here?

I'll take advice from people who live this stuff than from Ammo Manufacturers who have lawyers look their findings over any day of the week

I almost have the same predicament you've got. Except mine is with the 125 gr nosler ballistic tip and the 7mm08 . I'm averaging 2975 FPS I've tried several different powders . The most accurate load is with imr 4064 and I can't break 3000 FPS with it without my group going to poop. I really don't know why in my head I have to get over 3000 out of it , it just seems like with every other 7mm08 everybody else can. By no means am I complaining it's shooting a 10 shot 100 yard group into .658. I know that's not in the 2s or less but for a stock gun I'm pretty happy.
I will say the same as some of the others on here have already mentioned it should speed up some with some more powder and bullets burned down the tube.
Since our hunting season is in till the end of the year now I'll have to wait to try and push mine to see if I can break the 3000 FPS barrier and still get good groups in the early spring

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.