Velocity Question for 7mm Rem Mag 175gr at 2,815fps

Ingwe

Hello Fellas,

I worked up a wickedly accurate load (63.5gr RL23) for my 7mm Rem Mag using 175gr Accubond LR's at an average velocity of 2,815fps. Its a Remage Action with a 26" long 1:8" Criterion barrel and Vias muzzle break.

I know the story, "If it's shooting good then 200fps faster won't make a difference" but when I read about some guys here getting 3,000fps+ with 180 and even 195gr bullets, I wonder if I'm not pushing the load hard enough and/or getting the full potential out of my setup.

What do you all think?

How much does an extra 200fps matter?

Have at it;)

I'd suggest working backwards.

Determine the maximum range you will shoot at game and the operating velocity of the bullet (the lowest velocity where it will perform as designed). Run your ballistics and see what the remaining velocity is at your personal maximum range. If the velocity is still in the good-operating range at your max distance, I don't see how additional velocity will help you. Your focus should then be on accuracy.

I'd suggest working backwards.

Determine the maximum range you will shoot at game and the operating velocity of the bullet (the lowest velocity where it will perform as designed). Run your ballistics and see what the remaining velocity is at your personal maximum range. If the velocity is still in the good-operating range at your max distance, I don't see how additional velocity will help you. Your focus should then be on accuracy.

Wow, what a logical response! Looking at it your way, which I didn't before, my load is a good one since I will probably never shoot at a big game animal past 500 yards. I shoot steel at 1,000 a few times a year and shoot prairie dogs with it too, but I will never be shooting a deer at 800 yards. Thanks for the response!

That said, I am impressed with those 3,000+FPS numbers, so I would love to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks Fellas!

I am a pretty amateurish reloader so I do find it a bit difficult to detect when I am seeing pressure signs.

Would you guys think that 2,815 is particulary slow for a 175gr 7mmRemMag?

I am a pretty amateurish reloader so I do find it a bit difficult to detect when I am seeing pressure signs.

Would you guys think that 2,815 is particulary slow for a 175gr 7mmRemMag?
That seems pretty slow but it totally depends on your rifle.
How long is the throat?
My buddy had a 7rm with a 26" barrel, and due to short mag length he couldn't get past 2900 shooting 162's.
If you can seat 180's at the boatail neck junction then 3000 should be easy, at least with RL26

I have loaded the 175 eld-x bullets in a factory 26" remington 7mm mag, with H1000, pressure signs began to exhibit around 3000 fps, loaded them to 2940 fps comfortably.

With H1000 and the 180 VLD in another 26" factory remington, max pressure showed up around 3020 fps, accuracy was around 2980 fps. Switched to HBN coated 180 vld's and Reloder 26, now the 180's are going 3060, but that is right at/barely under max pressure. Wouldn't want to take a chance letting them set in the sun for extended periods prior to shooting, and it is not a target load, they are hunting loads. No heavy bolt life, but faint ejector marks on the Hornady brass.

If these were going to be used for high volume shooting, I would drop to one of the other nodes, one was from around 2980-3015, and another from around 2850-2900 fps, both seemed very accurate in the limited testing I did.

In yet another 7mm rem mag, I got the 168 VLD's up to 3080 in a 24" Ruger using Reloder 26.

2815 is pretty slow, but I have no experience with that powder, it may/may not be max in your gun. If 500 yards is your max however, there is no real reason other than curiosity to go further. That being said.....I myself would explore with either other powders or increase your charge until you find pressure signs, then see if you could find a comsistent load in the higher pressure/velocity range. Keep in mind, this will be at the expense of a shorter barrel life and shorter brass life.

The average range we take game at is roughly 600 yards, with ranges out to just under 1000 yds so far, so 200 fps makes a significant difference, especially at 800+ yards in Wyoming winds, so for me it's worth it as long as it's accurate and consistent. Just things to consider!!!

That seems pretty slow but it totally depends on your rifle.
How long is the throat?
My buddy had a 7rm with a 26" barrel, and due to short mag length he couldn't get past 2900 shooting 162's.
If you can seat 180's at the boatail neck junction then 3000 should be easy, at least with RL26

I haven't the slightest idea about the throat...way above my pay grade;)

I haven't the slightest idea about the throat...way above my pay grade;)
Gotcha
It's the smooth area in your chamber just before where the rifling starts.
When handloading it's good to figure out your cartridge length where the ogive of the bullet contacts the rifling.
There's a few ways to do this
I'd recommend youtubing a few instrctionals.

Wow, what a logical response! Looking at it your way, which I didn't before, my load is a good one since I will probably never shoot at a big game animal past 500 yards. I shoot steel at 1,000 a few times a year and shoot prairie dogs with it too, but I will never be shooting a deer at 800 yards. Thanks for the response!

That said, I am impressed with those 3,000+FPS numbers, so I would love to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks Fellas!
I generally look for more speed with accuracy for my rigs. But given your range limitations for big game I'd consider blood shot meat too. Lower speeds should lessen that. My 7mm build will be shooting deer and elk out to maybe 700 yards, rats and chucks to 1k, and steel out to a mile. A 280 AI could do that so your 7mm RM load should easily fit your needs. If your barrel is fairly new it could gain more speed as it breaks in.

I have not read all the responses so apologize if it's been covered already but sounds like you hit a really good accuracy node, there may be another good node at a higher velocity that is just as good. There will be more recoil as well so keep the in mind.
Read up and learn how to read the pressure signs and see if you can find the upper node if there is one.
As mentioned before... you always have a good load to go back to that will be deadly at any range you will hunt at.

Good to hear you have had good luck with the accubond LR I have heard they can be finicky.
I may have to try them in my buddy's 7rm that we are working a load up for.

I have not read all the responses so apologize if it's been covered already but sounds like you hit a really good accuracy node, there may be another good node at a higher velocity that is just as good. There will be more recoil as well so keep the in mind.
Read up and learn how to read the pressure signs and see if you can find the upper node if there is one.
As mentioned before... you always have a good load to go back to that will be deadly at any range you will hunt at.

Good to hear you have had good luck with the accubond LR I have heard they can be finicky.
I may have to try them in my buddy's 7rm that we are working a load up for.

I posted on another thread that I recovered a ABLR from a Zebra that I shot at 180yds which broke the on shoulder and was recovered under skin on off side.
That's on an 800lb animal

Attachments

• 385E2F3D-8C49-459C-A525-7BB8A1F4437D.jpeg
    385E2F3D-8C49-459C-A525-7BB8A1F4437D.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 233