7mm or 30 cal? Just for curiosity’s sake

7mm or 30 cal?

• 7mm

Votes: 150 54.9%
  • 30 cal

Votes: 123 45.1%

• Total voters
Question says it all. The 22s, 6mm, 6.5, and .338 bore are all pretty common here but it I think it's safe to say the big 7mms and 30s are the unchallenged all range all purpose hunting versatility kings. I bet pretty much everyone on here has at least one 7mm or 30 caliber rifle.

im a 30 guy myself, .300 win mag being my favourite cartridge to play with, .30-30 being what I learned to shoot centerfire rifle with.

but I only bought my first .300 because my other rifle was a .270 win and I wanted a more significant difference in performance than what a 7 would gain. No regrets. But if I didn't already have a 270 I may have gone 7mm mag and had no reason for a .300 or a 270, who knows?

the 7mms are objectively the best of all worlds for long range hit probability. The 180 eld m for example has a bc of .79. There are no similar bc bullets of lesser diameter that I'm aware of and to exceed this bc significantly starts at the 250 atip or such. That's a huge jump. Not to many 30s, if any, will be launching a 225-250 grain at comprable speeds to a 7stw or 28 Nosler with that 180, and if they do it won't be in as portable or pleasant to shoot package.

that said, I maintain the big 30s hit and affect big game very noticeably harder than the 6.5, .270, and 7mm cartridges so they get the nod from me

Now for the just for fun question. If you could only own and shoot either a 7mm or a .30, not both, which would you choose?
308, I don't own anything in 7mm. My cartridge selection is to span the range of bullet Weights from 22lr to .50 cal muzzleloader. I started with the 30-06 but after a few years went to 308 for less recoil and only 100 fps lost. I then bought a 243 which shots bullets in the 22lr weight class all the way up to 100 grains in my rifle with good accuracy. The 308 starts at 100 to 110 grains and goes to 200 to 220 grains however 180 would probably be my upper limit for this rifles 1:10 twist. Then I got a 338 wm that shoots 165 grain up to 300 or 350 grains. Then finally the 458 socom which starts at 250 and goes to 600 grains. That's the same weight bullet as the 50 BMG. So with this overlap in bullet weight I'm pretty well covered and never saw the need to add a 7mm. They are great guns and a great bullet profile and if I had to choose just one the 7mm08 would be great. However I would probably go with my 308.

I had this debate with myself about 25 years ago when I didn't own a centerfire rifle. Wasn't much of a debate. Never really considered the 7's. I wanted bigger and badder. Originally wanted a 300RUM, but picked a 300WSM(thank GOD) instead. Things have changed since then, but still not to interested in 7's, been stuck on the 270wsm for awhile now, but with a 243win, 260AI and a 300WSM, I've got things pretty well covered, short of big bears and Africa, and anything going forward is pretty much going to be a luxury purchase. Problem is, I need a boat!

Question says it all. The 22s, 6mm, 6.5, and .338 bore are all pretty common here but it I think it's safe to say the big 7mms and 30s are the unchallenged all range all purpose hunting versatility kings. I bet pretty much everyone on here has at least one 7mm or 30 caliber rifle.

im a 30 guy myself, .300 win mag being my favourite cartridge to play with, .30-30 being what I learned to shoot centerfire rifle with.

but I only bought my first .300 because my other rifle was a .270 win and I wanted a more significant difference in performance than what a 7 would gain. No regrets. But if I didn't already have a 270 I may have gone 7mm mag and had no reason for a .300 or a 270, who knows?

the 7mms are objectively the best of all worlds for long range hit probability. The 180 eld m for example has a bc of .79. There are no similar bc bullets of lesser diameter that I'm aware of and to exceed this bc significantly starts at the 250 atip or such. That's a huge jump. Not to many 30s, if any, will be launching a 225-250 grain at comprable speeds to a 7stw or 28 Nosler with that 180, and if they do it won't be in as portable or pleasant to shoot package.

that said, I maintain the big 30s hit and affect big game very noticeably harder than the 6.5, .270, and 7mm cartridges so they get the nod from me

Now for the just for fun question. If you could only own and shoot either a 7mm or a .30, not both, which would you choose?

In 1976, my dad (who was not a hunter) bought my my first center fire rifle - a Rem 700 in 30-06. Through high school, college, and on through adulthood, I shot everything from prairie dogs to elk with that rifle. Then, around 1996, I became infected with THE BUG. I think I now own a rifle in every caliber (not cartridge) from .17 to 375 except one (35). I jumped on the WSM train early and acquired a 325, then 270, 300 and finally a 7. The 7 WSM has far and away become my favorite cartridge and the one I shoot the most, whether its banging steel at 1k yds or hunting big game in the US or abroad. With the exception of large dangerous game, I don't think there is anything I would hesitate to shoot with it. Not saying I dislike the 30s, as my 300 WSM would probably be my second favorite, but when everything is added up, including recoil, ballistics, and lethality, if I were forced to get rid of every firearm I own except one, my 7 WSM would be lonely in my safe:)

My first rifle (of my own) was an 1895 small ring '95 Spanish Mauser in 7x57. A mild dose of 4350 and a 160 gr SPBT Sierra would zip along at 2600 fps. I took several white tail with it, most under 100 yds. Loved it, and loved the stories of Karamojo Bell associated with the caliber. I was 15 or so I think. A couple years later I built a 7x61 Sharpes & Hart. I killed a white tail buck at a bit over 600 yds with it. I Joined the marine corps after graduating high school, and for part of my tour I did a one year stint on the Camp Pendleton rifle and pistol team. We were shooting M14's then, 7.62 NATO (.308). We could consistently hit a 30 inch bullseye at 500 yds with iron sights, but the groups were inconsistent and the ball ammo was often keyholing. The service rifle may have been partly at fault. Its a small target at that range with peep sights. Still.... My 7x57 would kill soccer balls at that range. After getting married and leaving the service, I sold a bunch of guns I had accumulated. We needed the money. When things got better I built a 7mm Rem Mag that I still have. One day, the shop where I worked was changing blades on a road grader, and on a whim I took one of the worn blades home, and later to the range. At 50 yds, the 7mm will easily punch holes through that hardened steel (3/4 inch) with 160 gr soft point bullets. I hope you guys won't mind the ramble, but I'm sold on 7mm's, and one of these days I want to do some serious experiments with the new heavy bullets, including mushroom diameters compared to other calibers.

7mm fan here. Never been a .30 guy for some reason. Only reason i have a 30-06 is because i inherited from my brother RIP.

Both are fantastic and so versatile its crazy. Vanella or chocolate...

I just maintain that they both do pretty much the same thing but also know the .30 do hit a bit harder but not saying it cant be done with a 7mm either. But to get a more meaningful difference you need to go to a .338. Then you get a big difference. My thinking was have the 7mm for 99% of what i hunt skip the .30 and go straight to a .338. That pair covers just about everything.

No wrong answer here.

I have a .300wm in a Tikka with a laminate stock and the Zeiss scope is one of my heavier ones. If only we had Bear here in Australia.
I had a 280ai built on a Tikka action with a 26" carbon wrapped barrel and Carbon Fibre stock . All I read on the .280ai makes it seem versatile and performs with lower recoil than the magnums

I need to use both more.
I hired a 7mmRm in South Africa, I always had a fascination for the .300wm so I keep one around but the .280ai is lighter and and still easy to shoot as intended for regular carry.

I also own a 7mm-08 and .308 so they all have their merits.

My 7mm-08 has done plenty and is maybe my most used having smashed many pests.
I have a 300 weatherby and 300wm. However, I just got a 280 ackley to see how it compares. Also a 28 Nosler but haven't hunted with it

I've killed almost every North American animal with a 7mm-08. It's everything you want. It has energy, flat shooting, low recoil and accurate. 140 partitions

I love hunting with my 280AI. That said, if I could only have one hunting rifle, it would be a 30-06. Easier to find ammo. Really cutting hairs to show 280, 280AI and 7mm Mag are better ballistically. And a 30 caliber gives larger entrance and exit holes, leaving a better blood trail for finding the animal. This is often forgotten when comparing hunting cartridges, but very important when elk, moose or other long-haired critters are considered. Thus, in my opinion, the 30 caliber is better for hunting.

I'm a 300 person; 300 WB, 30-06. A little more lead for any occasion.

I grew up shooting my dad's A3-03 Springfield. I have and always will be a .30 caliber fan. Have never owned anything 7 and never intend to. There is nothing practical a 7 can do that a .30 can't do better.
If I don't sound really one sided enough on this issue, let me be clear, I have no use for anything 7.
Grumpy old man and his two cents worth.
I don't agree, and let me explain why grumpy. I've owned multiple 7s over the course of my lifetime, with some being the cheapest on the shelf and some being completely custom. I've owned and been around various other 30s as well. One thing that is more practical about some of the 7s, in terms of long range hunting, is that not all of them require a brake to maintain a decent level of recoil. Sure I would still put a brake on a 28 Nosler, but my 7mm Rem. Mag doesn't need one and it's 9.2 lbs. it's a 1000 yard gun all day. I don't know of a .30 cal that can shoot 3000 plus FPS that does not need a brake. It's a very practical benefit in my young and grouchy opinion.