7mm Mag help please

Sam in Va.

Seasoned reloader here... friends got the Tikka T-3 7mm mag for Christmas and they want me to reload for it... Theey have plenty of 139 SSTs and 140 bullets that we got from an estate sale.
Any help with loads using IMR 4350, H4350, H1000 apprecitated.
We're going to start playing later on this am.
Thanks, Sam

Seasoned reloader here... friends got the Tikka T-3 7mm mag for Christmas and they want me to reload for it... Theey have plenty of 139 SSTs and 140 bullets that we got from an estate sale.
Any help with loads using IMR 4350, H4350, H1000 apprecitated.
We're going to start playing later on this am.
Thanks, Sam

I have never used those powders in the 7mm rem mag but found H 4831 to be very good.
My 1000 yard Target load was, 66 to 67 grains of H 4831, rem 9 1/2 mag primers and a 168 grain
SMK @ 3254 ft/sec. (31" barrel)

For hunting, the 140s and the 150s worked well with H 4831 also.

Caution should be used when using large amounts of 450 because it sometimes goes from mild to very hot with just a one grain increase over normal loads. 450 Is very good powder, but I recommend increasing powder charges in 1/2 grain increments when loading with it.

just my two cents

J E CUSTOM

one of the 4350s would work. H1000 is a bit to slow for 140s in the 7 mag. Like was said the ideal choise would be something like h4831 or re22.

My Ruger Mark II in 7mm Rem Mag loves 62.0 grains of IMR-4350, in RP cases, WLR primers and 140 Nosler BT. In my gun this is a mild load producing only about 2900 ft/sec. I have also loaded H1000 and 140 grain Accubonds. I know that H1000 will do better with heavy bullets but you can get good results with the 140's. Just start low and work up slowly with H1000.

I used to shoot 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips along with IMR 4350. This was a very accurate (sub .5 moa) in my rifle. I had a mv of 3200 fps with this load. I have since gone to a heavier bullet along with IMR 7828.

139 and 140 ,,,,,50.0grn IMR3031 standard primer
This load works well in 7rm 1in9 twist (an older savage). But it does heat up the barrel so I only use it in the late fall to early spring

I can give you one bit of advice about those 139 SST's and the 7mmRM... I DO NOT recommend using them on deer. You will be greatly disappointed in the performance. Probably 10 years ago I was using them in one of my 7mags and it blew up on impacting a whitetail about 150 yards out. We recovered the deer, but it made a hell of a mess and trailed it forever. After that, I never used them on deer again.

However, they are great for coyotes and smaller game.

Can't help with the 139-140gr. as I don't use them but I use reloader22 and 162 Amax with about 66grs. Shoots really nice lil groups ...good luck !

im not one that buys into the ballistic tips and the sierras being to fragile for deer. Meat damage is 95 percent bullet placement and 5 percent bullet construction. About any soft nosed bullet out of a 7 mag will tear up a deer if you hit the shoulder or back bone. That said I hunted the year before last with my 300wsm using 150 sst and they were like fricking bombs going off inside deer. Every deer I gutted was nothing but liquid mush inside. Even the ones shot out at 300 yards or more. One thing ill say though is most of those does didn't ever twitch. Just like the rug was pulled out from underneath them.

Thanks guys for all the tips and help... I have an acceptable load 5/8" 3 shot group with the 139's and have noted the post for 139's blowing up... I do appreciate all the help.
We plan on doing some more loading possibly with some heavier bullets at a later date.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.