7mm Rem Mag Reloading Help Please

300rum

Hi,

I just got a 7mm Rem Mag rifle, factory barell, 1-9.4 twist.
Tried the rifle last week with Winchester Super X 160gr - 0.70in group at 100yrd.
After I run a few numbers on exball I Shot at 400yrd, and 630yrs at 6-8inch rocks after just 6 round at 100yrd and HIT IT ALL THE TIME.

I run out of ammo to tried at 700 - 800 -900yrd
So I want to give a chance to this rifle.

OK I have the following reloading stufs:
Rem Brass
250 CCI Magnum - Primers
168VLD Target Bullets (300pc)
H1000 Powder,
RCBC FL (Full Lenght) resize dies.

What is the starting powder and max?
Where I can expect the best group?
What is the OAL and OFF LAND best spot for this combination...

Any imput will be welcome.

Please note I want to use this rilfe for hunting deers and coyote (no need to save the furr) at 700 - 900yrd.
Past this distance I have my 338edge with the 300 PILL.

load for a 7mm Rem mag and have used RL22 mainly, but I am working on some loads with H-1000. The starting load is about 62 gr with a max of 66 gr. I am shooting the berger vld 168, winchester brass, cci 250 large magnum primers.

load for a 7mm Rem mag and have used RL22 mainly, but I am working on some loads with H-1000. The starting load is about 62 gr with a max of 66 gr. I am shooting the berger vld 168, winchester brass, cci 250 large magnum primers.

How are winchester brass? Better then remington?
How far from the land are you with the bergers?

I'm just getting started with the 7mmMAG myself. I have some Berger bullets on order but they aren't here yet. The 180's have shipped, the 168's are on backorder.

H1000, Retumbo, N570, IMR7828, IMR7828SSC, and RL25 all look like good candidate powders in QuickLOAD.

I'm going to try some loads with 160g Accubond bullets at the range today. I have two 7mmMags, the Ruger with the 24" barrel will be set up to shoot the Accubond (partly because I could get them), the BVSS will be set up to shoot the 168 and 180 Berger VLD Hunting bullets.

The loads I'm testing today have IMR4350 (which I think is too fast a powder but I had some) and IMR7828. I have a pound of Retumbo that I just brought home yesterday. I'll try that next. I may also get some H1000 and some RL25.

I'll post back when I have some results.

Fitch

"What is the starting powder and max?
Where I can expect the best group?
What is the OAL and OFF LAND best spot for this combination...

How far from the land are you with the bergers? "

Ahhh...it really ain't all that mechanical. No one alive can honestly give you an answer those questions. This is a "load and try" business, no formulas apply.

Some strong personal opinions aside, there really isn't much difference in which brands of cases are "better", any small difference is hair splitting and that's variable between lots. They all sell, they all have followers because they all work quite well.

I have loaded for the 7 rem mag a while now. I have never tried the realy slow powders like Retumbo or h-1000. The go to powders for the 7 mm has been RL22, H4350, H4831.

I use H4831, RL22 is great but I found it to shoot dirty if your not running at the top of the presser curve. Just my experience.

As for OAL, if your using it for a hunting gun and you want to feed from the Mag, then there is your OAL. What ever will fit and cycle for you. IF its a factory cut chamber, you will most likely not be able to reach the lands with 168's. The throat will be too long.

Load them to the mag length and start developing the load. Find a load form a reloading manual and start in the middle of the powder range. I have found the 7 mm likes to run on the hard side.

I have found the 160 accubonds to shoot extremely well. The seem to be way less finiky than the bergers and have great results on game.

Just my $.02

ok,
i think i did not express myself clear... sorry.
the question is... what likes vld bullet to be seated... touching the land... or 0,003 of land?

How far from the land are you with the bergers?

I have been reloading now for about 4 years. For the life of me I can not see any difference in Norma, Remington, or Winchester brass. I reload for 22/250, 30/06, 300 Weatherby, and 375H&H. Bought some Norma brass for the 22/250 and 30/06 to hopefully reduce runout, particulary in the 22//250. I found no difference in the amount or number of run outs I was getting with the Norma brass as compared to the Remington or Winchester brass. I am using Redding type S competition resizing dies. As to COAL read the article on this sight from the folks at Burger. They recommend starting at 150 off the lands and moving forward from there. Seems Burger has a sweet spot and it may not be tight or just touching the lands. I run mine just a little longer than recommended coal in the Weatherby and it works good for me out to 500. getting 4 inch groups.

Last edited:
I have been reloading now for about 4 years. For the life of me I can not see any difference in Norma, Remington, or Winchester brass. I reload for 22/250, 30/06, 300 Weatherby, and 375H&H. Bought some Norma brass for the 22/250 and 30/06 to hopefully reduce runout, particulary in the 22//250. I found no difference in the amount or number of run outs I was getting with the Norma brass as compared to the Remington or Winchester brass. I am using Redding type S competition resizing dies. As to COAL read the article on this sight from the folks at Burger. They recommend starting at 150 off the lands and moving forward from there. Seems Burger has a sweet spot and it may not be tight or just touching the lands. I run mine just a little longer than recommended coal in the Weatherby and it works good for me out to 500. getting 4 inch groups.

Thank you All Of YOU for advices. I was searching for berger 168VLD post but I coulkd not find them...
I think I have now enough info to start reloading for this rifle.
I will post soon the resoults.

Thenk you again...

I use 73 gr H1000, federal brass, federal 215 primer, 168 VLD seated just into the lands (don't know how far, it just leaves a mark on the projectile when chambered), gives 3087 fps with a 26" barrel.

Stu.

My accuracy load is win brass, rem mag 9.5 primers, 168 vld, 69 thousands off lands/ mag length, 70.7grs retumbo, consistent 1/2" groups at 200 yards. Its really on the mellow side but my accuracy was still under moa when I was running at higher pressures. Good luck with the bergers they are finicky.

I have heard that you should seat a vld on the lands, but calling berger should do the trick. Just to be sure. Ask about the starting load for imr 7828 my 7 mm rem mag loves it.lightbulb

My gun shoots best at 3000fps.

I use vv560 or RL22 at 64 or 66g. I cant remember. I seat the 168 .060 off the lands

I use Retumbo with 68g and seat the 180 berger .010 off the lands.

I'm now working on the 162SST. I had brutal results with my 260 and the 129SST this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.