416 rem mag help please

travelhunter

whilst i realize this is not a long range round, i sincerely admire the compendium of knowledge here and humbly ask for assitence and guidance.

the issue:
reloading 416 rem mag with rcbs dies
new dies
400 gr partitions
fed 215 lmag primers
89 gr varget
all is well upto the second i try to seat the bullets,they will not go in
i lubed them checked the neck cleaned and cleaned the brass
it seems there is too much powder in the shell and the rounds do not fit in and the powder will not compress
can anyone shed some light on this humble morons challenges?
all other reloading has proven very very satisfactory to date and i am stumped on a round i use frequently
if this requires a lengthy explanation
feel free to call me 1-631-579-2323

The 416 Rem Mag case will normally hold from 89 to 91 grains of some powders using a drop tube.

Some powders will not fit so alternative powders are required.

Also care should be taken if loading "HOT" loads when used in high temperatures. (The 416 rem is known for excessive pressures in 100o + temps with some powders.

I don't have my reloading book with me, or I could give you my loads. I also like the 350 grain Swift A Frame for plains games (Very flat shooting up to 400 yards).

I would look for a powder that had a "Max load at around 87 grains and was one of the extreme powders.

J E CUSTOM

much appreciated, can we address the fact that the bullets dont want to be seated in the case and they fight me all the way to the point of shoulder collapse

much appreciated, can we address the fact that the bullets dont want to be seated in the case and they fight me all the way to the point of shoulder collapse

You May be over sizing the necks (The ID of the neck should be .002 to .004 smaller than the bullet diameter after sizing).

Or you may need to put a chamfer on the inside of the neck. NOTE: I don't recommend using any lubricant on bullets to aid in seating because they will hurt SDs and accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts