7mm bullet tests

I agree and so did the tech from hornady about the 162 eldx and 7-08.

Do I need to look at the 160 accubond for a do it all load?

I've got a whole safe full of rifles with specific purposes. I'm just really enjoying this tikka roughtech 7mm mag. Light enough to carry and shoot off hand,
big enough to kill about anything and accurate enough to really enjoy shooting.
There is nothing in north America I wouldn't happily shoot with a 7 mag and 162 eld x, eld-m, 160 tipped matchking, sst, ballistic tip, 168 berger et el.

I'm impressed the X's didn't pencil. After experiencing and seeing that…outside of pigs, I won't use them.

Good luck, accubond is a great bullet if weight retention is your preference. Most of the monos will behave that way too.

Remember also that the 7-08 is 'very kind' to bullets vs the 7RM, 280 AI and 28 Nosler cartridges. Thus, those cup and core bullets will perform much better than you d believe in the ol 7-08 !!

There is nothing in north America I wouldn't happily shoot with a 7 mag and 162 eld x, eld-m, 160 tipped matchking, sst, ballistic tip, 168 berger et el.
I purchased a box of 162 ELD-M along with 168 Black Hole bullets to try on my 7MM SAUM.

Black Ho;e 168 vs Hornady 162 ELD-M.jpg

I've bought 7mm 154 gr Interbonds in the last year. My favorite bullet for close range shots with a magnum rifle - at high impact velocities it dumps a lot of energy without ruining a lot of meat. But I use ELD-X's for longer shots.

If I were hunting with a 7-08, I'd probably use an ELD-X.

I've bought 7mm 154 gr Interbonds in the last year. My favorite bullet for close range shots with a magnum rifle - at high impact velocities it dumps a lot of energy without ruining a lot of meat. But I use ELD-X's for longer shots.

If I were hunting with a 7-08, I'd probably use an ELD-X.
After not finding the 139 interbond I bought a box of the 154's and couldn't get them to shoot nearly as well as the 139's. Did they take much tweaking to get them to group?

After not finding the 139 interbond I bought a box of the 154's and couldn't get them to shoot nearly as well as the 139's. Did they take much tweaking to get them to group?
In my 7MM Rem Mag ( a Newer, Rem 700 Bdl, Plastic stock, Glass Bedded, 26" bbl. ) the best groups for the 154's, were at, .010 to .012,.. max. "Off" the Lands and at, 3,050 - 3,060 FPS with, 1 grain under, a Max charge of IMR 7828 and F-215's ( Work up carefully ) these are, the Tangent Ogive Design, bullets and ARE, a little harder to, "Tune". Today, I look for, Secant Ogive or the Hybrid "Nose Designed" Bullets as they are, much Easier to get to,.. "Shoot".

Last edited:
In my 7MM Rem Mag ( a Newer, Rem 700 Bdl, Plastic stock, 26" bbl. ) the best groups were at, .010 to .012,.. max. "Off" the Lands and at, 3,050 FPS with, 1 grain under, a Max charge of IMR 7828 and F-215's ( Work up carefully ) these are, the Tangent Ogive Design, bullets and ARE, a little harder to, "Tune".
Thanks I'll be trying out of my 280 AI again and maybe play with the seating a bit more.

The Interbonds are certainly a tough bullet.I killed quite a few animals with them and never recovered any of the bullets.I think they retain a little more weight than an Accubond.I haven't used any if the Hornady stuff for about ten years now,since I switched to Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips in 7mm and 30cal.Nosler beefed up the jackets and they perform much better than the old line of bullets.To be honest with you I like the Ballistic Tip as good as the Accubond.I've only recovered one,that was a 140gr Accubond.I like the 150gr Ballistic Tip in my 7mags.I get just a little,not much more,larger wound channel with the 150gr Ballistic Tip than a 160gr Accubond.All the bullets have been complete pass throughs so no way to compare weight retention.Nosler bullets have been rather hard to come by lately,especially in the 7mm line.

Never had anything walk away from a well placed shot with a Barnes, Berger, Hornady, or a hammer. I have killed deer with 120 grain Barnes that dropped dead in its tracks at 75 yards, also have had deer run 100 yards with no lungs after being wacked with a 215 Berger. Animals are tough and each one is different, hard to compare different bullets just by shooting water.

In my rifle, they don't shoot as well as ELD-X's. About 1 moa vs 1/2 moa with ELD-x's. But I shoot Interbonds with a pretty big jump (0.120") - they have really thick jackets and build too much pressure with short jumps.

I only use Interbonds for shots less than 200 yards; 1 moa is plenty good at that range.