Ladder tests

Flare

For you that do them or know about them, does having a clean bore versus having a fouled barrel make much of a difference in the consistency of the test? I did back to back ladder tests (15 shots each) starting with a clean barrel. I'm worried that the dirtier it gets the more it may not be consistent when I come back to visit the accuracy nodes. I hope that makes sense.

Corey

Just an observation, after a couple shots the bore is fouled and remains so for the rest of the ladder. I don't clean till its done myself, 30 and even 40 shots till cleaning is fine in my book. I even let the bore dirty after shooting in each year before hunting for same reason. First two shots I consider the fouler's and then it gets serious with POI.

Thank you I'm the same on hunting I always go with a fouled barrel but this new rifle of mine shoots to the same point clean it fouled

Corey

Every gun is different and you might find that yours is more consistent with less than X shots through the bore than more than X shots. X for one of mine is about 70, so I always clean it before then. With another gun it's 50 and with another gun it doesn't seem to matter.

IME, a squeaky clean bore ALWAYS shoots differently than a mildly fouled bore. Most of the time the point of impact is different for each of the first several shots. And even if the first shot or two lands in a group of fouled shots the velocity is always different. (lower)

Typically, a barrel with 3-4 fouling shots under its belt will shoot more consistently and stay that way for 30rds or more but this varies with each gun/cartridge.

That's just my experience, others may have seen different results when starting a ladder with a freshly cleaned bore..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.