7mm build

I know! My other 7-300s were on Benchmark and Bartlien, and accuracy on those always settled in about 3000fps @ 66.8 - 67.4grs of H1000, hitting pressure @ 3100ish. I don't know why my proof barrels always seem to do the same speed or more with less powder and have a higher pressure threshold, but they always do. So I keep buying them
Most proofs are 4 land rifling, vs the 5 of most competitors, could be the difference. My 7 lrm barrel is bout to go in the scrap heap. I'm trying to decide between 28 nosler, 7mm blaser(improved maybe) and 7/300wsm. 28 nos is a bit overbore, however it lasts as hunting rig.

67.0gr H1000 under a 180 nets you 3200+? ****.
My 7RM only gets 2996fps from 69.0gr H1000 w. 180 Hybrids from a 26" Bartlein. I got up to 3080fps w. 71gr H1000, but the accuracy was at 2996fps.
89.0gr of RL33 only got me 3190fps w. a 184 Hybrid from a 28 Nosler.
This is from the 7mm Sherman Short thread;

"A 195 eol with 59 gr of R26 which was great on accuracy was pushing past 2900 fps. The ones i tested averaged around 2920-2930. The temperature was around 65 degrees. I didn't hit major pressure signs till around 61.5 to 62 gr of powder. This is a 28 inch krieger."
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7mm-sherman-short-pet-loads.171534/

Why on a long action ?
The idea of the Sherman is that it is a true short action length round, even with the big heavies.

Right, sorry, my mind gets stuck in WSM and SAUM land...and I've rarely seen a short action feed the short fatties with steep shoulders really well. But, sounds like that's not an issue here with this caliber

Right, sorry, my mind gets stuck in WSM and SAUM land...and I've rarely seen a short action feed the short fatties with steep shoulders really well. But, sounds like that's not an issue here with this caliber
If you run the Sherman short cases on a short action with the long heavy bullets, it's still crowding powder below 2.9" oal. Best action for the Sherman short is an intermediate or Tikka t3 length action

If you run the Sherman short cases on a short action with the long heavy bullets, it's still crowding powder below 2.9" oal. Best action for the Sherman short is an intermediate or Tikka t3 length action
Or a Rem 700. If I'm not mistaken, I think Rich said once that he used the stock factory 700 SA mag box as his length parameter for the SS cartridges. Don't quote me on that, but I think I remember him either telling me that once in a conversation, or he said it in a post here on the forum...

I could run 2.97+ in my savage mags. If you single feed you can eject 3.12 but that's about it. Remington isn't that much but I haven't measured it to give a comparison. My 308 runs at 2.810-2.8125 depending on the lot I'm loading.

Comparing RL26 to H1000 is apples to oranges.....or 69 Vette to 69 Beetle.

Wow, your 7RM is a real shooter !
Reloder 26 is stable until ~84F then not so much(in my experience)....which is why I mostly use H1000, Retumbo, H4350, etc because it gets HOT here in summer, but if you shoot & hunt in a cooler temp range it is a great choice for many and gives some huge velocity gains.

PS my 1957 bug ran low 12's ...obviously not stock.

Wow, your 7RM is a real shooter !
Reloder 26 is stable until ~84F then not so much(in my experience)....which is why I mostly use H1000, Retumbo, H4350, etc because it gets HOT here in summer, but if you shoot & hunt in a cooler temp range it is a great choice for many and gives some huge velocity gains.

PS my 1957 bug ran low 12's ...obviously not stock.
I found the same temperature threshold for my 6.5SS using RL26 under 150 SMKs. So I too, worked up a load w. H1000.

I have a 7mm Rum and love it. 27 inch Schneider barrel 1/8 twist shooting the 195 EOL a little over 3100. Shoots a solid 1/2 Moa. No I don't shoot it a lot, but it is THE rifle I own that gets taken if game might be over 400/500 yards. if you can range it you can kill it ( within reason ). If I were shooting more than 20 rounds every few months I would do something smaller however.

I will throw in a vote for a 7mm practical or the slightly improved 7mm Rogue for shooting the heavies. They both run just shy of a STW. And 300 WM bras is a dime a dozen and easy to find. However I built my Rogue just before the 28 nosler came out. Had it arrived prior to the build I may have went that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.