7mm Berger 168's & 180 targets

( I figure it was shot at 100 yards not 25 yards lol ). Ha Ha
Any velocity data ?

Yep, 100 yards. That's where I start for load workup. But I do use the 25 yard line for initial bore sighting (saves a lot of ammo to get me on paper at 100 when setting up a new scope)

Is it repeatable?

Well, yes. Although this one is only a three shot group I think it supports the repeatability for the load. Velocity runs about 2875 fps.

This rifle is VERY forgiving. It eats just about anything I feed it - as long as it's H4831SC. It will group like this with anything from 51.1 to 52.3 grains of 4831SC. I found a pretty good load for it using RL17 but it was temp. sensitive and when I worked up a good load for 75 degree temps. the prints on target weren't consistent over a range of 25 degrees on either side of that 75 degree outside temp. So I moved to 4831SC and all is well.

Attachments

• 3 rd group.JPG
    3 rd group.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 64
Is it repeatable?

Well, yes. Although this one is only a three shot group I think it supports the repeatability for the load.
I'd say so. I'm sure you adjusted the scope slightly and that is not POI shift.
You've got a very good barrel on that one !

I have about 16 lb of h4831sc leftover from my 270 winchester days.
I keep thinking I might have a use for it for one of the dozen or so cartridges I load for but it hasn't been touched for years.

FearNoWind, which 180's are you using, VLD's or Hybrid, I've been trying both!

FearNoWind, is that a pretty mild load, Berger book is showing a starting load of 56.5 for H4831sc for the 180!

FearNoWind, is that a pretty mild load, Berger book is showing a starting load of 56.5 for H4831sc for the 180!

Yes, it is a pretty light load by Berger SAAMI standards. When I started with this rifle I used RL17; there wasn't much data available for it using that powder. Comparing it to similar powders on the burn rate charts I worked up a very nice load; but it was very temp. sensitive. After perhaps a year I decided to try Hodgdon powder and relied on Hodgdon data; but they don't list anything heavier than 175 grain for .284 Winchester. The range for 175s is 52 - 57 grains in the Hodgdon book so I started with 51 grains with the 180s and worked up. Everything above the 52.3 grains of H4831 starts opening up on target and by the time I go upwards of 53 grains I was getting heavy bolt lift and ejector branding. I'm not working with a SAAMI spec. chambering (my chamber is a custom reamer cut and quite a bit tighter than SAAMI) so I'm pretty cautious how far I push the limits. At this time, even with the light loads, I'm getting excellent results out to 1K, eventhough my 2875+/- MV is lower than I'd like - requires me to work harder with the wind.

Hey Rog,
I shoot 180 VLDs out of my SSG 7mm-300wsm with 69.0grs of H-1000, 9 twist, almost boringly accurate...almost :) This was a quick box test of my new NF F1 scope. Three shot group bull; dialed upper left solution, shot; dialed upper right solution, shot; dialed back to bull, shot another 3-round group.
S. Grasseth

Attachments

• 219318-f571d68b4926f667259abc4d822b9c43.jpg
    219318-f571d68b4926f667259abc4d822b9c43.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 76
Clownbuster, that's pretty sweet shooting! I'd love to put a nightforce on that 6.5 creedmoor I just built, but I'm going to have to save for a little bit first! Looks like I'll have to throw some H1000 into the testing for my 7mm along with my backed off Retumbo loads and the H4831sc I picked up!

P.S. thanks again for making the custom 6.5 Lupua brass, if the wind dies down over here a little I'll be shooting it tomorrow!

mustang58, yes, I was planning on using the hybrids for hunting. I read an article Brian Litz wrote and he said use them! Also saw pics of some hybrids pulled from animals and they pretty good.

I just shot my final 4 - 5 shot groups with the Berger 168 and 180 VLD's, the five shot group with the 168's was far left and is a nice group but the two right-hand targets with the 180s shot really well also, Except for the two high ones which I later Weighted those cases and they were over at 1.3 gr heavier than the other four cases in the group. Any thoughts as to if that could have made a difference since those two shots also has a bit more velocity. I'm also wondering about slight extractor marks that I can barely see on the 180 cases, I'm below book max with retumbo but close to it, bolt lift if totally fine, measurements after with cases are in line, just don't want to push anything too far! Thoughts are appreciated!View attachment 62336
Rogmay,
Have you run these loads over a chronograph and checked the Standard Deviation (SD) ? you do have a little vertical dispersion but it looks like the load is close. If you are not showing any pressure signs I would suggest working up in .1 or .2 increments to see if that helps flatten out your groups .

barefooter56, my 5 velocities were 2988,2992,3003,3005 & the high shot was 3022. As far as pressure goes, I have no heavy bolt lift, primers look good but I am getting a very slight extractor mark on a few cases. I'm using Norma brass which I've heard is softer, temps have been in the mid 70's while shooting, been told by a few people that it's a pressure sign and a few people saying not to worry about that! What are your thoughts! Thanks.

hey rog,
i shoot 180 vlds out of my ssg 7mm-300wsm with 69.0grs of h-1000, 9 twist, almost boringly accurate...almost :) this was a quick box test of my new nf f1 scope. Three shot group bull; dialed upper left solution, shot; dialed upper right solution, shot; dialed back to bull, shot another 3-round group.
S. Grasseth

nice!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts