7mm Berger 168's & 180 targets

Rogmay

I just shot my final 4 - 5 shot groups with the Berger 168 and 180 VLD's, the five shot group with the 168's was far left and is a nice group but the two right-hand targets with the 180s shot really well also, Except for the two high ones which I later Weighted those cases and they were over at 1.3 gr heavier than the other four cases in the group. Any thoughts as to if that could have made a difference since those two shots also has a bit more velocity. I'm also wondering about slight extractor marks that I can barely see on the 180 cases, I'm below book max with retumbo but close to it, bolt lift if totally fine, measurements after with cases are in line, just don't want to push anything too far! Thoughts are appreciated! image.jpg

Retumbo great powder but I was able to make my groups alot smaller with 69 grain h1000 just my thoughts I wouldn't be happy with any of them

mbeebout, being those black circles are the size of a dime or 1/2", other than the 2 flyers, 3 out of 4 groups are close to or under 1/2 moa. I've never used h1000, so when you say you get "alot" better groups, just how small we talking. What type of gun are you shooting and which bullets are your go to, any any preference on seating depths. I had a guy mention shooting h4831sc, any thoughts on that powder, thoughts are welcome!

Try reloaded 25 and reloaded 26. My 280 ai is shooting the 180 hybrids with 58.5 grains of rl25 30 thou off the lands into one hole.

I've tried a few reloader's but I'd like to stick with the Hodgon extreme, mainly due to being a temp friendly powder, I live in Montana and hunted in 70deg down to -22 last year!

Don't overlook IMR7828 both my 7RM love it, one likes VLDs one, will only shoot NBT well.
Also, it's really not that bad as far as temp sensitivity.

I like the hodgon extreme powders also nothing against others I just like hodgon with a 7mm you can shoot 1/4 moa all day long at 100 yards in really like the 168 vld in the remington 700 action because you can make them long so they touch the lands the 168 classic hunter is great for rifle that have shorter magazine wells because it's not lands sensitive with them 69.2 gr h1000 work very well I can load this load for several different 7mm and they all will shoot 1/4 inch moa at 100 now that is from a rest also I know it a little different than say a bipod or a bag the 7mm is a awesome caliber

Last edited:
Great responses guys, keep them coming!!! Looks like I might pick up a pound of H1000, RL-26 and maybe some IMR7828. Oh well, looks like I HAVE to go out shooting again!!!

I tried a number of different powders and found IMR 7828SSC gave me the best results with my 7MM Rem Mag. I get the same groups with 168 Berger and 168 ABLR. 66.40gr out of a 26 inch barrel is giving me 3000fps and sub MOA groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.