7mm/338 NORMA MAG

RH300UM

OK guys I am building a new rifle chambered for 7mm/338 Norma Mag.It should be a real fire breether.It will shoot the 180 berger VLD's. It is going to be used for hunting. Give me your input on any and everything. Don't hold back I want it all.

It will be awesome. Nate at SSG is making up an improved version called the 7mmJazz and Chris Matthews at Longshot Rifles is making one as well calling it the 7mm Holy Grail.
Get in touch with those guys and you will get plenty of info.

I have a 7wsm and am interested in one as well.

This will be an improved version. 30 degree shoulder min. wall taper.I have tried to get hold of Nate through the phone . No answer and no retured calls. Anybody else have input?

Last edited:
I already have a 284Jazz on order. 200gr wildcats at 3200+fps is what is expected. Nate has done quite a bit of testing already with the 300Jazz with 210 bergers. I think Nate was selling brass with his builds for $1.65 each.

I too have a 7wsm with 200freebore.

Brent

Last edited:
thats a little cheaper than what I paid for brass. 1.80 a peice. It is impossible to do business with someone who never answers their phone or returns messages.

yup it is. I work 12hours a day 5 days a week, if they could they would call me all the time if I would answer. These are husband and wife shops who work more hours than I can possibly imagine for far less than I make. Did you call today? It is SATURDAY.

Brent

No calls today. I called over a two week period. Sometimes 3 times a day. Left messages everytime. Also emailed. No response. No worries now. Went to another 'smith.Enough about that. What about the cartridge itself. I think it is one of best "parent cases" to come along since the WSM craze.

Last edited:
sorry to hear that, are you sticking with the 180's or going to go with the 200gr wildcat bullets that are soon to make a comeback?

Brent

I am having the reamer made for the freebore of the 180 berger. They are a solid supplier and make a great bullet. The wildcats are a big maybe in my book.I am sticking with the berger.

sounds like it is going to be a great caliber. My 7wsm is set up for the 180 bergers. I shoot 168's for now because I have a couple thousand from my last one. I am going with the 200gr. I have heard some great stories of the performance of them way way out there. I should have mine in 2010 and scheduling africa in 2011.

Brent

I should have mine this fall. The biggest wait is for the manners stock. 10 weeks out. Outstanding guys to work with. The owner was answering my emails at 9:00pm his time. Now that is customer service!!! Can't wait. I have a 338edge,Thanks to trueblue, that will fill the need for deer and elk season tis year.
What are you going after in Africa? Plains game or bigger?

six months just for the mcmillan stock. I have had a couple of manners in my hand but I will go with mcmillan again. The pheonix action and Brux interupted flute barrel Nate had in stock. Jewel trigger and HS bottom metal topped off with a seekins base and Shawn's ACI/ACD with NF rings and a 5.5-22X56 NF Npr-2. This is the setup he has built for me in the past.

I will go after plains game to start with. If we do get a chance at anything larger I have a 375 H&H to take care of it. We haven't hammered out all the details yet. I am tagging along with a friend who has been all over the world hunting just about everything. We will use the guide he used in the past when he was in africa.

Brent

That's it nobody else with input? I am disappointed. Usally there is no shortage of opions. This cartridge must not be as exciting to others as it is to me.

I'm building one on a Stiller Predator Extreme, but until it gets delivered I try not to think about it too much. I forget what I paid for my brass. Mine is throated for the Berger 180s, but I have some Cauterucio 189s to run out of it too.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.