7mm/338 NORMA MAG

Can some one help me out; I'm an accountant not a gunsmith. To get a better understanding of the discussion I've looked at size, capacity, etc. of the various 7mm cases. Really, I don't have a clue as to why the 338 Norma case is superior to the 7mm RUM case. I'm trying to learn about the 7mm/338 Norma as it sounds like a great project. Any help appreciated.

I am interested in this round, but have until this point been considering a 7WSM or 7-300WSM.
Can someone explain to me the the purpose of the 200 freebore used with the bergers, as I thought Bergers need to be seated into the lands ? How are the bergers shooting with the free bore and is there a slope to the lands ? Sorry to get of topic, sort of...

I did read the Stricker "making VLD's shoot article", but my concern is with the chambered 200 freebore, you are committed to seating off the lands, which may or may not work, no ?

Last edited:
What is the powder capacity of the parent cartridge, the 338 Norma Mag?

This will give you an indication of what you can do with it compared to a 7mm RUM or a 7mm/300RUM

If a 338 Norma Mag will not beat a 338 RUM by a fair bit, then I don't think the 7mm/338 Norma wildcat would offer much over the standard 7mm RUM?

Maybe better brass would be available?

It is my understanding that the 338 Norma capacity is nearly identical to the 338 LM. I have not taken the time to compare the H2O capacity of the 388 Lm with a 338 RUM (I do know that the 300 RUM has a bit more capacity than the 338 RUM).

When mine shows up I can update the forum with my results when I test the capacity.

JeffVN

Maybe better brass would be available?[/quote]
Norma has gone through great steps and improved the brass for 338 mag greatly. The ones I have are very consistant in weight. I know that weight alone dosn't decides a brass makers quality. I think it is MUCH better than remington's brass for the ultra mag.

Last edited:
The 338 Norma case capacity is slightly less than the 338 Lapua, I think 3-5gr, but will yield the same velocities under the same pressures. Don't need to get into a debate about how that is not possible with less powder. Only know what I have been told by the cartridge designer and what I have read from other peoples test results. Don't know how this cartridge compares to the 300 RUM, I think they would be very close in case capacity and velocity, with maybe a slight edge going to the Norma. But the 338 Norma Mag and wildcats( 7mm & 30cal) would shoot the long VLD bullets in a standard 3.60 magbox. COAL in a 30 cal wildcat with the 210 Bergers is 3.500, with BT above neck/shoulder junction,, easily fitting into a standard magbox.

Both Savage and Remington will be coming out with rifles, as well as others.
I believe Savage's will be in a tactical model. Not sure what platform Remington will do.

Just started ordering for my 7mm/338 Norma build. Magnum research barrel, hs precision stock. Maybe Lawton,defiance, or Borden action. Any input would be nice. Custom dies or does anyone make 338 Norma with bushing? Maybe 7mm neck size and pull guts from 338 Norma die and use it as a body die.

Just started ordering for my 7mm/338 Norma build. Magnum research barrel, hs precision stock. Maybe Lawton,defiance, or Borden action. Any input would be nice. Custom dies or does anyone make 338 Norma with bushing? Maybe 7mm neck size and pull guts from 338 Norma die and use it as a body die.

You have your own reamer?
Are you improving the case at all?
I did with mine. Pros and cons for the improved shoulder.
Who is building the rifle for you?
I would highly recomend Travis Redall with RBros Rifles.
He built mine for me. Extremly high quality work.
I had Neil Jones build my dies for me. Expensive but worth it.
What bullet do you plan to use?
What is the twist rate of your barrel? Legnth? Muzzle brake?

You have your own reamer?
Are you improving the case at all?
I did with mine. Pros and cons for the improved shoulder.
Who is building the rifle for you?
I would highly recomend Travis Redall with RBros Rifles.
He built mine for me. Extremly high quality work.
I had Neil Jones build my dies for me. Expensive but worth it.
What bullet do you plan to use?
What is the twist rate of your barrel? Legnth? Muzzle brake?

No improved, just 338 norma or 300 norma mag necked down
Hazer Bulkley will be doing the work, he has done them before and has a reamer for it.
180 berger or new 195 berger if they will stabalize.
26" 9 twist and will have a break.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.