7mm 168gr vs 175gr

The Oregonian

The new Nosler line has both of these...BC is very close, somewhere around .65 vs .67, and only (obviously) 7gr weight difference.

With bullets so close, what is the difference besides the obvious? Just seems that they are so close that there must be something beyond what I have listed.

I am leaving aside any discussions on the new line from Nosler as very few have shot them, just wondering what I am missing on these as far as different uses for one vs the other.

BTW, I may go bonkers before my rifle gets here, but I am only a minty or two into a 9-12 month wait!

Nosler most likely chose the more popular bullet weights for the 7mm. Seeing they are called long range no point in making a 150 or lighter bullet as the BC wouldn't really yield high BCs.

Perhaps they stopped with 175 gr and didn't make a 180 because some shooters might not get it to stabilize with a factory twisted rifle. (Remington 7mm rem mag barrels use a 1 in 9.25 twist)

Berger offers a 168 and 180. I have crunched the numbers of each with the velocities of a 7 STW a while ago and they have very similar wind drifts out to 600 yds or so. Sure the 180 has more energy but the 168 has a flatter trajectory.

IMO the 168 LRA might be a better choice with smaller cases like the 7-08 or 284 win and the 175 LRA would be the best choice with a 7mm Rem mag or larger.

I think it's just a marketing tactic. With out being able to see the bearing length ect. I'm going to assume that the 168 has a slightly shorter bearing length, as far as common shooters are concerned I doubt you'd know the difference. I am curios to see what physical differences there are between them though.

Without see the bullets and having chance to shoot them be pure speculation on those two bullets.

Nosler is making 7mm 150gr with BC .611 and since their in the business of making bullet, selling ammo and their own line of rifles they may be trying to cover all bases.

Their making 7-08 with 1/10 twist,7x57 with 1/9.5 twist and 280AI/7mag with 1/9 twist.

I stand corrected. Didn't realize that Nosler is coming out with a 150 gr LRA. Thanks for pointing that out Mudrunner.

All the hoopla over the 168 and 175 never read about the 150 anywhere till today.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.