7mm 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter

The 168 Berger hybrid hunter will do well on any western big game animal.

I helped several friends put together loads for their 7 Rem mags using the Berger 168 hybrid hunter bullet and Retumbo here in Tucson.

James killed a nice antelope in the Empire ranch area. The shot was around 450 yds. DRT. His muzzle velocity is 3079 fps

Joe's 7 rem mag with 168 Berger hybrids killed a cow elk. This guy has taken many elk in his 50 plus years of hunting. He said he had never seen a bullet kill an elk so fast. Muzzle velocity 3115 fps.

Ken's gun shoots them well. velocity 3100 fps. He has yet to kill. He recently moved her from Virginia. He had a coues tag last year but didn't get one. No tag this year.

I used the 168 VLD hunting bullet in my 284 win, velocity 2925 fps to kill a coues wt at 450 yds impact velocity approx 2600 fps. The bullet exited and deer expired right away. ( I think the performance on the hybrid hunter and the VLD hunting bullet will be similar so I mentioned it)

I think you will do fine with this Berger bullet. Be sure to chronograph it and do some long range shooting with it. I like to verify my comeups at the 3 pts range (Tucson Rifle Club). I only shoot at the 300M javelina and 500M ram. If your comeups match at 300M and 500M you are good to go.

Good luck on your hunt this year!

Ross

Thanks Ross. I appreciate all the info. I shoot at the same shooting range. I sight in at 200 and check come ups at the Javelinas, Turkeys and Rams. I keep a sheet with the notations for each distance and in between, match them to a calculator and I'm good to go.

This year was a tough draw, we didn't get drawn either but we were able to get leftovers at Unit 35A which we haven't hunted before, so we got some scouting to do.

Thanks again and stay safe

Why not focus on breaking the offside shoulder? Let the bullet get in and do it's work, then dump it's remaining energy on the offside. It may work just fine with an onside shoulder shot. But it may not. And elk are big, TOUGH animals. I would err on the side of caution and wait for a slight quartering away shot and let the offside shoulder be your aim point

Thanks MTbackwoods, I appreciate the input. Stay safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.