7mm 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter

LVJ76

Good morning

A couple of months ago or so I had some loyalty points at Sportsmans Warehouse I had to use or loose them, and I used them on some factory ammo, 7mm Rem Mag Federal Premium with the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter.

I needed some powder but they didn't have what I needed so I got a few boxes of this ammo instead, figured I can try out the performance of the Bergers and use the brass to reload.

If my rifle likes the ammo I'll be using it for Coues this coming fall. Now coues are small, thin skinned and light boned, and this bullet will work with behind the shoulder and shoulder shots.

So my question is, is this bullet good for both shot options on Mulies and most importantly Elk or is it too soft and might fail to penetrate the shoulder of an Elk?

Thank you in advance and stay safe.

I shot a pretty large WI doe last year (before I started Handloading) with the Federal Elite Hunter 308 Win loaded with the 168 gr Classic Hunter. Shot was just shy of 20" yards. The bullet entered her left shoulder bone just below the knuckle and exited just above the right knuckle through the opposite bone. She went about 10 yards with no front gear. Her legs rattled like dice and her insides entirely liquid. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for better performance. I did however run a wire bit into each tip.

I know it is not the same caliber and not a magnum, however, I believe that the bullet performed as well or better than anything else could have.

It should extremely well out of my Rem LTR with 3.5-10x42 Swarovski too.

Steve

Attachments

• E72E3B5B-34FC-4429-BE17-111109EE06E1.jpeg
    E72E3B5B-34FC-4429-BE17-111109EE06E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 431
I shot a pretty large WI doe last year (before I started Handloading) with the Federal Elite Hunter 308 Win loaded with the 168 gr Classic Hunter. Shot was just shy of 20" yards. The bullet entered her left shoulder bone just below the knuckle and exited just above the right knuckle through the opposite bone. She went about 10 yards with no front gear. Her legs rattled like dice and her insides entirely liquid. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for better performance. I did however run a wire bit into each tip.

I know it is not the same caliber and not a magnum, however, I believe that the bullet performed as well or better than anything else could have.

Steve
I've been thanking of trying them myself.and I'm looking for a ltr they look to shoot good out of yours

My LTR's (223 Rem and 308 Win) shoot amazingly well, even with factory ammo as you can see. As a new Reloader, they sure help build my confidence while I refine the "craft". You won't be disappointed. Although they have 20" barrels, they serve me extremely well and the accuracy to me is more important than the velocity loss.

The 168 gr out of a 7 Rem Mag wouldn't concern me a bit. I'd shot is really close, I'd maybe stay off shoulder, however, once impact velocity is reduced a touch, I'd have no concerns putting it on the shoulder of a bull.

Have a great day,
Steve

Steve
Got to love those Remington 700 LTR308. Very accurate

Steve

That is a very nice group Steve.

Thanks for your input. On deer I'm not to worried about the shoulder, I usually go for behind the shoulder but on an Elk I'd rather go for the shoulder and achor the animal.

I have 162gr SST's, 154gr Interbonds and 160gr Accubonds that will go through an Elk shoukder and all are good past 600 yds (my current max range).

I've read lots of good info on Bergers including that they are a bit soft, so just curious if they would go through an Elk shoulder at both close and longer ranges.

Thanks again bud

John Burns from the Original Best of the West TV show used 180 & 168 VLDs exclusivity. He Killed an elk on just about every episode DRT. The Jackets were changed up some since the original VLD but I dont think it would make much difference in the terminal performance. I would think that you'll be fine.

That is a very nice group Steve.

Thanks for your input. On deer I'm not to worried about the shoulder, I usually go for behind the shoulder but on an Elk I'd rather go for the shoulder and achor the animal.

I have 162gr SST's, 154gr Interbonds and 160gr Accubonds that will go through an Elk shoukder and all are good past 600 yds (my current max range).

I've read lots of good info on Bergers including that they are a bit soft, so just curious if they would go through an Elk shoulder at both close and longer ranges.

Thanks again bud
The 162 sst is an absolute hammer as far as terminal performance. They shot great for me also.

The 168 Berger hybrid hunter will do well on any western big game animal.

I helped several friends put together loads for their 7 Rem mags using the Berger 168 hybrid hunter bullet and Retumbo here in Tucson.

James killed a nice antelope in the Empire ranch area. The shot was around 450 yds. DRT. His muzzle velocity is 3079 fps

Joe's 7 rem mag with 168 Berger hybrids killed a cow elk. This guy has taken many elk in his 50 plus years of hunting. He said he had never seen a bullet kill an elk so fast. Muzzle velocity 3115 fps.

Ken's gun shoots them well. velocity 3100 fps. He has yet to kill. He recently moved her from Virginia. He had a coues tag last year but didn't get one. No tag this year.

I used the 168 VLD hunting bullet in my 284 win, velocity 2925 fps to kill a coues wt at 450 yds impact velocity approx 2600 fps. The bullet exited and deer expired right away. ( I think the performance on the hybrid hunter and the VLD hunting bullet will be similar so I mentioned it)

I think you will do fine with this Berger bullet. Be sure to chronograph it and do some long range shooting with it. I like to verify my comeups at the 3 pts range (Tucson Rifle Club). I only shoot at the 300M javelina and 500M ram. If your comeups match at 300M and 500M you are good to go.

Good luck on your hunt this year!

Ross

Why not focus on breaking the offside shoulder? Let the bullet get in and do it's work, then dump it's remaining energy on the offside. It may work just fine with an onside shoulder shot. But it may not. And elk are big, TOUGH animals. I would err on the side of caution and wait for a slight quartering away shot and let the offside shoulder be your aim point

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.