788 accuracy

ballistx

I just picked up a Remington 788 in 243. $250 with a period 2.5x7 Weaver on it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Did a quick clean and the bore is spotless. It doesn't look like it has been hardly shot. The clip doesn't have any wear, bolt has little and the scope isn't indicative of a high volume shooter.

My question is to those who are more familar with the 788 than I am. I do have one in 243 that I have had for about 30+ years and it is extremely accurate. I noticed that this one has the barrel definitely lodged solidly into the forearm.

My other (old to me) one has a pressure area about 3" back from the end of the forend. The new one (to me) is so tight at the end of the forearm you can feel the resistance as it is pressed into the forearm.

What has been you experience with the 788 for free floating, etc?

Thanks in advance.

I purchased a used 788 in 6mm that was in excellent condition at a gun show a few years back. I removed the stock in order to clean and inspect the barreled action and was surprised at the amount of tension placed on the barrel. It annoyed me so much that I free floated the barrel and bedded the action before I ever fired it. It turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever shot.

I never liked the feel of the factory stock, so I recently purchased a Boyds thumbhole stock. Just finished the stock and bedded the action. I haven't got to shoot it yet, but it is much more comfortable in any shooting position. Another advantage to the aftermarket stock is that I was able to eliminate the noisy detachable magazine by leaving extra material in that area.

The 788 isn't the nicest looking rifle out there, but it sure shoots great. Good luck with yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.