Mississippi buck with 6mm Rem 788

I got this rifle as a gift from my dad and it is one of my favorites. Some people often think you need a large magnum cartridge in order to take down a whitetail. I've shot a numerous deer ands hogs with this gun/load. (70gr Nosler ballistic tip moving 3400fps). Most dropping where they were hit or not running over 50 yards. The picture below is from my MS buck from last season using the 6mm. I've since loaded up some 100gr sierra game kings. Both loads shoot less than 1"@100. I'm a fan of non-mainstream calibers like the 6mm Rem. Next I'd like to get my hands on a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 or 257rob. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I got this rifle as a gift from my dad and it is one of my favorites. Some people often think you need a large magnum cartridge in order to take down a whitetail. I've shot a numerous deer ands hogs with this gun/load. (70gr Nosler ballistic tip moving 3400fps). Most dropping where they were hit or not running over 50 yards. The picture below is from my MS buck from last season using the 6mm. I've since loaded up some 100gr sierra game kings. Both loads shoot less than 1"@100. I'm a fan of oddball calibers like the 6mm Rem. Next I'd like to get my hands on a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 or 257rob. Thanks guys!
Look at the mass on that big boy!
Whereabout in MS do you hunt? I grew up around Natchez killing those big River bottom bucks.

Absolutely love 6mm REM , first one was a Rem 788 have since moved up to a custom 6 Rem AI.

I got this rifle as a gift from my dad and it is one of my favorites. Some people often think you need a large magnum cartridge in order to take down a whitetail. I've shot a numerous deer ands hogs with this gun/load. (70gr Nosler ballistic tip moving 3400fps). Most dropping where they were hit or not running over 50 yards. The picture below is from my MS buck from last season using the 6mm. I've since loaded up some 100gr sierra game kings. Both loads shoot less than 1"@100. I'm a fan of non-mainstream calibers like the 6mm Rem. Next I'd like to get my hands on a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 or 257rob. Thanks guys!
Hell ya! Nice buck. Rock that 6mm!

Forget the Ruger #1! Been there, done that! A custom Rem 700 on a Long action is a wet dream! I shot 95g Partitions, 100g Hornady btsp, and 80g nosler ballistic tips with a hot load of IMR 4064. 80g Barnes TTSX is no slouch with the IMR 4064 at 3400 fps. I had another 6 Rem custom on a Parker Hale that was an unreal accurate rifle. I have my own reamer with freebore shortened somewhat.

The ruger #1s were a goat rope to say the least, lot of money down a rat hole. I got rid of the #1s and I put a Shilen #4 contour, 26" on a Ruger 77 tang safety long action, another winner, bedded and free floated.