7828 ssc what can i expect

just curious about this powder. I will try in 7mm prc with 175 eldx

I haven't loaded bigger calibers yet. 223, 6.5grendel, 6.8 spc, 30-06.

The 7828 was the only magnum powder I saw so I bought a pound.
It was too temp sensitive for me. Many years ago, there was a chart made up of powder burn rate and sensitivity in FPS per degree.

For most of the temp sensitive powders, they have 5-10x the resulting fps per degree. Retumbo is .48 and h4350 is .5 something. And the others can be 2-3 fps/ degree

My LGS about a hour & half away has many IMR powders. Including decent pricing on primers. As to what I see online. I think a lot of people have given up on reloading in my area. It's more of an old timers game here. Most people buy factory ammo for deer season & call it good for the year.
Their loss your gain!

7828 is awesome from the std 280 Rem to the 7 STW. I have a load for one 27" 7 STW that shoots the 120g TTSX at 3900 just barely opening up a single bullet hole, repeatable day in and day out. Also, use 7828 with 140g C/
T Nosler and ttsx with the same powder, shooting tiny groups at 3650, hot loads in Winchester brass, slow twist, three groove Pac Nor barrel with zero freebore made for shooting light bullets fast.

In a 280 Rem with three groove 9 twist, I shoot the 162g eldx, partition, and Sierra btsp at 2930 fps with amazing accuracy, but it demands Winchester brass and a federal 210 primer. This load is the accuracy node in the Nosler manuals #3 and #4 but is not suitable for pumps and autos as they had to "dumb down" the 280 for those types of guns.

Last edited:
I hear a lot about temperature stability and IMR powders suchs as IMR4350 and IMR7828. What kind of temperature swings does it take to see it? Anyone tried to figure it out? I usually try mind before a hunt and adjust, not expecting a should temperature change, but if going from Texas to the Rockies, it could be,
I'm in the same boat. Now is the time of year to get your load work done in Texas if you want to hunt the rockies in the fall. Take advantage of cool mornings while you can. I've found that my max loads from winter and spring workups can be dangerous when it gets over 80f with non temp-stable powders. If you start now and chrono a few rounds between now and June you'll have a good curve established. Ive noticed that 80f seems to be an inflection point on the high end but the curve is pretty stable going down in to the 20s.

IMR 7828 provided some of the tightest groups in several magnum rifles for me. Book max velocity was attainable. I always wondered why it wasn't more popular on the inter-web.

RE26 stole the thunder for a while but when it disappeared, the ol' reliable IMR 7828 was put right back in service with very good results.
My experience as well. When I had both RL26 and IMR 7828ss both on the table for load develpment I got very identical groups sized but more velocity and less pressure signs with RL26.

It's still snowing out, so Imma wait until it stops until I shoot, so i get accurate chrony readings. If my wife wasn't home, I'd shoot off the deck and plug in the chrony's IR screens, but....

Hornady load data maxes out 7828ssc at 64.1gr for the 175 ELD-X, but Berger calls it at 66.1gr for their 175gr EH. So for the 175gr ABLR, I started at 64gr and went 0.5gr to 66gr.