IMR 7828 SSC

nksmfamjp

OK, I found this gem. How does it compare to RL26? What is it good for? Temp sensitive?

Great in my 7 RM with 168's. Good speed, meters great. Haven't shot it in hot weather yet (80+) no issues below that. No experience with R26 to compare.

Shooting them in direct comparison in a .338 Norma mag and 7mm rem mag. RL26 gets a little more velocity. IMR7828SSC is a little more linear in it's temp sensitivity, rl26 in my experience is very stable, however I have heard from many that over 85 it can spike.

7828ssc is a single base powder (nitrocellulose). Rl26 is double base nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin). Both are stick powders (extruded).
All things being equal double base powders are capable of higher energies at equal pressure and single base powders are more likely to give the tightest extreme spread numbers.

Bringing back an older thread, does anyone have experience with shooting 7828 in temperatures over 85 degrees. I just started handloading for the 300 Weatherby and while I want to make it haul *** and be a Weatherby, I don't want to make it send a bolt though my cheek bone. I'm in NorCal and will be using 180 grain lead free bullets. It is never really cold here but can reach 100 degrees in the summer. Should I stay at 90 to 95% loads with this powder just to be safe on hot afternoon range days? Thx

So long as you're not working up max loads in legit cold you'll be fine I'd think. It's not nearly as temp sensitive as most Alliant powders in my experience. It is still a bit. At worst you'll worry about brass life, possibly sticky bolt/hard extraction. But if all your loads are being shot well above freezing I can't foresee any possibility of a load that shows no pressure signs at all become a "cheek impaler" or even a bolt lock-up on a day that's a few degrees hotter.

Living in Saskatchewan I keep it simple: no new load development anywhere from November through the first half of March. Avoids trouble when it gets hot out again. A safe load in the summer is never unsafe in the winter.

I think you'll be just fine.

I shoot a 300 win mag with 180 ttsx and 208 hornadys using imr 7828 during the summer (90 to over 105). No problem because I do load development in July. I live in the valley where deer season runs up to 105.

I have H4831, H1000 and Retumbo so I'm sure everyone is gonna be like what the heck are you thinking? Here's my deal. 80+ grains makes short work of a pound of powder. I shoot the really good powders for the rifles I shoot the most, 25-06, 270, 280 AI and 7 mag. I won't shoot the 300 Wby that much other than load development and hunting. Under 50-60 times per year. I have 5 lbs of 7828 ssc just sitting in the coffers looking for a reason to he used. So here I am using a 2nd choice powder for it. It's 75 degrees here today and no rain in sight so I'll start shooting at this temp and then again in June when its 90 degrees. Should have a good safe load ironed out by then. Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it.

7828 is going to trump 4831 and especially 4350 for velocity at near same pressures! I use it in 300 Mag with 180's, and 6mm Rem Improved with 100 to 108 grainers, It trumps H4831 for top speed in both, and shoot as accurate with some bullets. Like any powder bullet combo, you use what works best, and none of these powders will be the best option for every bullet.

Saying that, I would do as others have said, no matter which powder you use, work up your loads above 50* mark if shooting above 100 degree temps at times and don't look back. If your loading that hot to be on the ragged edge at 50* your already defeating one purpose of reloading for yourself! All can be excellent, and none are dangerous when loaded like others have stated!

your not going to have an issue with those temperature variations, when you find a real useable load, you should be able to to charge 2 to 3 tenths of a grain hotter or colder and keep your group size within .1 of an inch. Load the middle and yer always going to smile at the moment of truth!

I load 47.3 grains for my Savage Axis in 6mm Rem AI, with 108 grain elite hunters, I can load hotter, and colder .3 and still shoot well under .5" moa. and don't loose 25 fps either way. Top left target was group and moved to new zero, shooting a right to left wind at 100 yards, , bottom two groups followed with time between shots to keep the barrel from getting hot. IMR 7828 will always be on my shelf, over the years it has been great in several large for bore cartridges.
20211215_132242[1].jpg

Almost forgot, that load was worked up in temps in the 70's.

Right on! Yes, I always test all my loads in late spring and summer here so its "hot" over 80 degrees. Never do I push things to ragged edge or use compressed loads. Ideally I'm at 95% of max. I just don't want to neuter a 300 Weatherby. I will use other powders and I have a bunch of lead free bullets in different weights to play with as well. I also have 212 eld-x and Berger 210 grain bullets on hand. Should be fun.

Right on! Yes, I always test all my loads in late spring and summer here so its "hot" over 80 degrees. Never do I push things to ragged edge or use compressed loads. Ideally I'm at 95% of max. I just don't want to neuter a 300 Weatherby. I will use other powders and I have a bunch of lead free bullets in different weights to play with as well. I also have 212 eld-x and Berger 210 grain bullets on hand. Should be fun.
Yeah a neutered .300 wby is just a grossly overpriced .300 win mag. Of course, factory .300 win mag ammo is pre-neutered to be more like an extra stout .30-06. And the 308 is just a neutered .30-06. But the .308 can also be thought of as a "de-neutered" .300 savage or .303 British. In turn, watered down versions of those classic cartridges barely exceed .30-30 performance.

Long story short, if you're gonna water down a .300 weatherby just go shoot a .30-30 and be done with it 🤣. It's only logical!

So true! I load for all my rifles which has a few 30 cals in my collection. A short barreled 308, 26" barreled Browning 300 win mag and now this new 300 Wby. They will know their role and shoot accordingly. High level performance in velocity and accuracy. My 300 wm is shooting 208 Amax at 2880 fps, shoots 3 inside a nickel at 100 yds and 3 inches at 700 yds. So I gotta beat that with this Weatherby. This is a little different project though as I'm making this OEM Mark V Weatherby a bone busting mid range elk and bear rifle. 750 yds and under. Preferably lead free bullets unless it does something really special with lead and changes my mind.