700p vs 110fp

I have a 700P in 7mm rem mag and I love it....trigger was great out of the box and I get groups under 1/2 in with my 180 berger handloads

your kinda compairing apples to figs , the 700 P comes with a great stock and their barrels arn't the run of the mill tubes that most of the factory guns get. I have't seen a 700 P series rifle that woulden't shoot in the 1/2 moa range with handloads and the basic little tune ups

the Savage your looking at is a quality rifle but the stock is garbage , you can get it spend another $100 on the B&C Duramaxx stock and it will help out alot.

As for building on , well both are great platforms to build on later if you want and the Savage can be chambered for the RUM's with no trouble if the barrel is fitted up like the Remington. The Remingtons have alot more aftermarket goodies for them and will hold their resale alot better.

you can get a great pre-fit Shilen barrel for your savage at accuracyarms.com. It is only $269 for a selcect match grade stainless, shipped.
Kevin Rayhill at Stockade will put a match barrel on your gun for $330.
Go to savageshooters.com for lots of good savage info.

... the Savage can be chambered for the RUM's with no trouble if the barrel is fitted up like the Remington. ...

I've heard this before, what problems do they see if you have the large shank Savage and install the barrel correctly? If there where problems, you would think that Shilen, Pac-nor et. al. wouldn't be selling the RUM drop in barrels for the Savage due to fear of litigation.

The RUM is a big cartridge, but runs the same pressures as other magnums that I've never heard had problems in the savage?

Just curious what the real scoop is, or if its supposition repeated as fact, or if there is some fact to base the supposition on etc.

Thanks,
AJ

Rem 700p all the way. I have one in 7mm mag and like the other guy said, it shoots under 1/2" all day long. A friend of mine has it in the 300 wm and his is also a shooter.

cibrmike,
I currently have a 700 P in 7mm RM. It shoots the 140-150gn stuff .5" or better. I'm currently trying a box of 168gn Bergers with no luck (in my opinion) so far. It shoots these about 1.0" @ 100yds. Haven't shot them any further, they may be printing 1.0" @ 400yds. Don't know, but I don't like the 100yd groups. Remingtons heavy barrel modesl are usually pretty good right outta the box, with little to no tweaking required.
I have owned two 100FP's, one in 7mm RM and the other in .223 Rem. The 7mm shot .5" and better. Traded it off for something else and never did any serious reloading for it. Never did like the Tupperware stock on it. I did paint that, though. The .223 I had shot awesome. I and some of my shooting buddies shot groups in the .1's and .2's regularly! I shot the 55-69gn bullets in it and it shot all those great.
The Tupperware stock's are cheap, period. I would think you could re-inforce it with aluminum dowels and bed the action (usually comes pillar bedded). If it doesn't come with the AccuTrigger, then you'll want to put an aftermarket onner. I usually chose Timney for mine. They're inexpensive, easily installed and work.
As for barrels, you can buy other barrels and different bolt faces for the Savage and change calibers rather easily. Check out Savage Shooters Supply.
I have always favored the Remingtons, but Savage builds one fine shooting rifle usually. As my Daddy used to say "The choice is yours, make it lite on yourself"....JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.