70 yard kill shot on black bird

barnesuser28

I got a first shot kill on a black bird at about 70 yards from our porch. I practice at 75-100 regularly but this is my farthest kill so far, i was impressed with myself.

What ammo were you using? I went 2 for 2 at 126 yards on starlings with T Bolt and Federal Bulk ammo. The first one was a chest shot and dropped on the spot, the second one took it in the guts and required a finishing shot when I went to look at him.

I tried some Aguilar Super Maximums on a squirrel hunt last year and they were unreal on long range squirrels. I was making first round hits at 100 and they were blowing up like I'd hit them with a 22 Mag. I want to buy a box and actually take them to the range to see how they group.

Now that's truly impressive! I haven't shot my pellet gun in years. My brother and I used to be deadly out to 35 yards and killed quite our share of birds in the 50 yard range, but I don't think we ever touched anything at 70.

What kind of pellet gun are you shooting?

Its a gamo shadow fox. Its been discontinued for probably 3 years. I shoot about 2000-2500 pellets a year with it and i have had it for 4 or 5 years. The spring in it is really weak and i only get about 720 fps with 8 grain pellets but its advertised at 1000 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.