7 STW and Winchester WMR powder

victor3ranger

I am about to fall into the 7STW hole soon and I figured I better start asking some questions.
Has anyone here used Winchester WMR powder in their 7STW?
If so how good did it work?
I know that there is probably better powder out there but I am curious about this one since I have a bunch

In my 7 STW's, I shot 120g Barnes TTSX and ballistic tips at 3850 fps using R#22 and IMR 7828 with Win brass and Fed 215's. 140g Nosler combined Technology bullets were shot at 3650 fps into very tiny groups with IMR 7828. BIG Deer were dead in their tracks on bullet impact out to 550 yards.

I would love to hear your experience with the WMR powder.

There is very little data out there for the Winchester WMR.It looks like it's kinda fast burning for the 7STW.It looks like it's close the the burnrate for IMR4831,Hunter,Reloader19.Probably works a little better with light weight bullets.I shoot the slower burnrate Winchester WXR in mine that has a burnrate like Reloader22.Here is some load data to help you figure out about the range of powder charge you might use for different bullet weights.As always,work up your loads.Every rifle is different. https://stevespages.com/284_6_175.html

I have an 8 pounder of the WMR, I haven't used it much over the years. Hornady lists loads for the STW, I think they are one of the only manuals that I've seen data for that powder. When listed, it is usually listed for heavy bullets for that cartridge. It seems to me that it is very close to RL22 & H4831 in burn rate. I didn't use it in my 7mm STW, I always got great accuracy using RL22 & IMR 7828.
With that said, I'd be surprised if you couldn't work up some acceptable loads with it in the STW.
Try it and keep us posted.

Curious what gun you chose? Where I work, we have a Weatherby MKV in that caliber. It has been making me think about it for myself. Right off I can't recall what scope is on it, I just remember it was a good one. I'll have to look when I work again.

Curious what gun you chose? Where I work, we have a Weatherby MKV in that caliber. It has been making me think about it for myself. Right off I can't recall what scope is on it, I just remember it was a good one. I'll have to look when I work again.
Buy it, it's my favorite round. I have 2 of them now. This is from my newest one. Give you an example of what there capable of.

Screenshot_20230604_134819_Range Buddy.jpg
20230604_140350.jpg
20220828_132301~2.jpg

I have an 8 pounder of the WMR, I haven't used it much over the years. Hornady lists loads for the STW, I think they are one of the only manuals that I've seen data for that powder. When listed, it is usually listed for heavy bullets for that cartridge. It seems to me that it is very close to RL22 & H4831 in burn rate. I didn't use it in my 7mm STW, I always got great accuracy using RL22 & IMR 7828.
With that said, I'd be surprised if you couldn't work up some acceptable loads with it in the STW.
Try it and keep us posted.
Someone steered me to the Hornady manual with the load data so I ordered the manual and it has good information in it.

Alright Darry, where do ya work and how much for the weatherby 🤨
I am having shortgrass put a new barrel on my old rem 700 7RM and he is going to chamber it in 7STW

Last edited:
I have 100 rounds of loaded 8mm Rem Mag with all its load data, I guess I am going to have to start pulling bullets, annealing and sizing down the necks just to get started 🤦‍♂️