7 SAUM vs 284 Win

vern.284

First off I'd like to thank everybody on this forum. I have been a long time lurker learned a lot from reading on here, recently joined up fully to get the most benefits out of 284. My max range without traveling is 600 yd for Target I'm in East Coaster so my whitetail gun is a 257 Roberts and 35 rem. I was going to take this out west this year for speed goats and muley.
this forum. The wealth of knowledge is amazing and the people are just as amazing.

Now on to my conundrum. I've been scrounging and saving for a while for my first custom build. My initial thought was a 284 Winchester for a crossover Target / hunting with a WTO switchlug to play with. Now it seems that lapua is not making 284 win brass any longer. But ADG is doing 7 SAUM. I have new Winchester branded 284 brass about 400 cases worth.

So should I stick with the 284 or should I do the 7 SAUM. I still need dies and a barrel. I think I'm just going to stick with a McMillan A5 DBM. it seems like the SAUM will live on longer then the

Just wondering your thoughts on which direction I should head. Times have changed in the supply. Much appreciated

284 isn't going anywhere. Peterson makes brass, which is every bit as good as Lapua. What bolt face is the action you're using for this? Either will work well- either also needs to be throated appropriately for whatever bullets you're wanting to shoot to get the potential out of it.

First off I'd like to thank everybody on this forum. I have been a long time lurker learned a lot from reading on here, recently joined up fully to get the most benefits out of 284. My max range without traveling is 600 yd for Target I'm in East Coaster so my whitetail gun is a 257 Roberts and 35 rem. I was going to take this out west this year for speed goats and muley.
this forum. The wealth of knowledge is amazing and the people are just as amazing.

Now on to my conundrum. I've been scrounging and saving for a while for my first custom build. My initial thought was a 284 Winchester for a crossover Target / hunting with a WTO switchlug to play with. Now it seems that lapua is not making 284 win brass any longer. But ADG is doing 7 SAUM. I have new Winchester branded 284 brass about 400 cases worth.

So should I stick with the 284 or should I do the 7 SAUM. I still need dies and a barrel. I think I'm just going to stick with a McMillan A5 DBM. it seems like the SAUM will live on longer then the

Just wondering your thoughts on which direction I should head. Times have changed in the supply. Much appreciated
It boils down to your personal preference/choice/intended purpose. However, between the two, "I" would go with the 7MM SAUM.

I shoot a 284 short action 2.800" COAL
Basically a one load gun 150gr traditional style bullets

Because I personally can't reason running lighter bullets on deer sized and up critters. And of course they work on predators if its what your carrying. Might make a mess, but they work. If I wanted a lighter bullet SA I'd shoot a 243.....

You will certainly be needing a medium or long action if you plan on shooting any long range style bullets

You probly already know these things but there ya go.
I'm new here too. Its an exciting place to share and learn.

600yds is still far to me. If I was going to shoot that far I'd be looking at the longer range style bullets and longer actions, or the bigger 7 SAUM.

I think both are hand loaders cartridges, but I never looked for SAUM on the shelf. 284 is most likely only gonna be in a gray Winchester PowerPoint box 150gr, one choice.

IMO I would to the 7 SAUM by a long shot.
Super accurate, easy to tune and great brass available.
Plus it's here to stay

I've built several 284 both long and short action. Also built a 7 SAUM. Ended up selling the SAUM. All are/were excellent shooters but the SAUM just didn't give me anything I couldn't do with the 284. As far as "not going anywhere" the 284 has been around since 1963 and wildcatted into many other cartridges. With that said, I handload and I think factory ammunition would be an issue for either but more so for the 284.

I'm building on a origins Long action. My dream was a TL3 medium but this long action came up and I figured I'd have it would have a greater versatility for now. I am an experienced reloader hence why I chose one of these two. For hunting I was contemplating the high 160 &170gr. for target I was definitely looking at the 180s